Mortgage free by 2023 (!)

Options

Comments

• debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feeling pretty naff after a long conversation with the electricity supplier.. have no choice, but to accept a massively inflated direct debit that we can hardly afford. will impact on debt payments all over the place. I've told them I can't afford to pay it, but they didn't seem to care. Thought they might be a bit more reasonable considering I'd rang up straight away and told them the reading was wrong. :-(
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Another day.. I hit payout on OP :j:j so £40 on the way to me, but so much of extra pennies will have to go towards the electric bill now.. Feeling like I won't get this loan paid off by Christmas at this rate..

£10.42 on the way from t0pcashb@ck as well, so will put £25 of all that towards the electric and the rest off the debt I think..

Raised a complaint with the electric company last night for the way they are being totally inflexible with me about this bill!

Anyhoo, it's Saturday - swimming with the kids and then stuff to do round the house and need to go get a few things for the kids from the supermarket!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Amazingly the electric company agreed with my complaint and reduced my payment to 50% which interestingly won't cover what I reckon to be the monthly amount needed to cover our use.. I'll just put extra away and make payments off what we owe as and when..

The very very part time job is making steps and I start next week.. so I need to sort out going self employed, but plan to put away all of the money from this until I get how to tax works and what is looks like.. as and when I have a lump sum available after paying tax, I'll just divvy that up between everything..
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Finally got the pre school payments sorted at the new preschool, so have £49 left from what I had budgeted for nursery this month, so chucked that at the loan.. £1084.. still hoping to get to three figures this month so need to work out whether I can clear it by September - which will mean me finding an extra £85 a month which I think is do-able..

Despite best intentions I've slipped back into building a balance on three credit cards, one of which I've just cleared, the other one which is about £4000 I will just and pay little bits here and there, more so once the debt is finally gone. The other I use for petrol and food but move the money over to it every week so that will clear itself, but I'll just move over £10 and £20 extra to clear the £800 on there.. some of which is due to rather large dentist bill I couldn't avoid.. and *cough* my highlights which my roots are forever grateful for!

With preschool getting sorted, I only have to ring tax credits now and face wasting an hour of my life on the phone to them!
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like you've had to make lots of rubbish phone calls recently. Hope you get everything sorted and that the electric bill disappears quickly.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Always a believer in what goes around comes around type of stuff. I spent ages on the phone to the electric company yesterday after getting a letter telling me they are deducted a four figure sum this month.. double what I owe.. have to confess to shouting at the poor sod at the end of the phone with frustration.. have now cancelled the DD and they are calling me next week to take a manual payment and set up a new DD.. I will be leaving them as soon as I've cleared the arrears.. and I'm raising a complaint with the Ombudsman about them.

In better news, I raised queries with TCB for two claims of cashback, one was only pence but the other if you remember was £60 for my bargain home insurance of £17 for the year.. well the rascals denied the cashback, so I raised a claim, and yippee it tracked this morning.. Unexpected bonus there.

So want this debt gone, I'm back in mindset of paying every spare penny off it, but conscious of my resolution that life goes on and any spare pennies should be divvied up between all the pots..

Any thoughts?
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello:0) looks like you've got the right ideas!!! Well done so far :0)

I'll follow your diary.
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    £1063!!! Edging closer!
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had given up on my home insurance cashback ever coming but it got there after lots of e-mails!

Your energy company sound awful! I take loads of meter readings so I know that we're never in any debt with them.

It's a difficult dilemma knowing whether to throw every penny at the debt or keeping some for saving, or indeed living! Do you have emergency savings? You're so close to paying it all off though, so maybe just go for it and then start saving afterwards.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    That's my thoughts amy.. just a brain ache when I know I should be emergency saving as well.

Anyhoo it's payday for DH and calcs so far show I will get the balance to £669 this month - aim is £666 and then £333 the next month and then DEBT FREENESS!!! So i'm £3 out - I'll find that and meet target on that..

I need to see what my wages are as I've estimated those as I'm due some expenses..

8 weeks to go at the most and I'll have cleared £58k worth of debt! I know I keep typing it, but I need to keep reminding myself how far we've come when I feel like I won't get there!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport