🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Waitrose - The Big Half Price Event

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Ocado isn't owned by Waitrose so the same offers won't necessarily be on the Ocado website.

Ocado does have a few half-price offers, seem to be mostly Ocado & Waitrose own brands. However there are some 50% offers on wine.

There's also an up to 50% clearance sale on Christmas stuff including puddings etc. The top offers section has got things like whole medium Essential Waitrose chicken 2.95

Someone commented that Waitrose is after more custom. Well.. yes and no..

Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose and ASDA have increased sales. Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose shoppers added together though aren't as many as Morrisons' or ASDA. Tesco has 30% of the supermarket customers in UK, no-one else comes close. Something like £1 in every £5 spent in UK is spent in Tesco.

The offers are likely to be overstocks or deals struck with brands. In many instances, when a branded product is on sale, it's the brand paying for the reduced price, not the supermarket and the brand will even contribute financially to the marketing campaign.

Waitrose is not excitedly waiting for hordes of customers wanting 2.95 chickens. It's wanting to stop its customers defecting to Sainsury's, Aldi and Lidl with a few offers. It wants people who'll buy a 2.95 chicken to roast for sandwiches or make into soup and drop 6.99 on smoked salmon as usual.
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went in this morning and got quite a lot of food that was half price so I was very pleased. Managed to get the last 2 chickens, a few packs of mince, packs of Aberdeen Angus quarter pounders and meatballs for just over £2, some Indian ready meals and vine tomatoes. These are all excellent value as I normally buy them full price.

I have to say I was very impressed with these offers. All of the supermarket deals are normally on things like washing powder and non-fresh branded food which I don't buy as I'm happy to buy Aldi own brand. It makes a change to find so many offers on meat and fresh food.
  • ms_night_ryder
    Options
    I'm going to stock up on a few chickens before the offer finishes, also papayas are £1 so I'm going to ripen, then cube and freeze them for smoothies, I do shop in waitrose, but I never do big shop's as I do shop around.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    ....Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose shoppers added together though aren't as many as Morrisons' or ASDA. ...

On a point of order. Current market shares are more like;

Waitrose 5.1%
    Aldi 4.9%
    Lidl 3.5%

..which is a total of 13.5%, and more than Morrisons' 11.1%, if less than ASDA's 17.1%.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/279900/grocery-market-share-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Managed a net 42% of the quoted price, broke the £60 so free delivery. Asked for a delivery slot after dark to the neighbours don't think I've gone all posh and ostracise me as a 'toff'. Scots are funny that way.
  • ilovemygarden
    Options
    Asked for a delivery slot after dark to the neighbours don't think I've gone all posh and ostracise me as a 'toff'. Scots are funny that way.

:rotfl: .
  • sarahayes
    Options
    The quality of Waitrose's meat in particular is wonderful! If you take advantage of these amazing prices don't be surprised if your family won't tolerate less flavoursome produce from other supermarkets afterwards. That's what happened to me some years ago. Now I shop quite early in the morning and buy reduced meat which I promptly put in the freezer.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It seems that this sale is a good deal for those that buy meat. Not wunderbar for vegetarians :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love Waitrose, i personally think their food is unbeatable for quality.

I claim the bargain of the week. At their deli counter my OH asked for one of their more unusual cheeses, the young man cut a piece with one of those vicious looking cheese cutters. The cut piece went flying through the air and landed on the floor. The poor boy looked embarrassed and started to cut another piece. My OH, who always has an eye for a bargain, said we would have it and perhaps he could reduce the price. So he did, he gave it to us for nothing:D

Ps I know he was probably not allowed to sell an item that had fallen on the floor but it still made a great bargain as the cheese would have cost over £5
  • Firstwatch
    Options
    Best deal I've seen in Waitrose: I've stocked up on Taylor's of Harrogate Rich Italian roast ground coffee 227g, which is pretty decent at full price of £3.65, but at the moment is £1.81 - 5 packets of something that has a BBE of April 2016 has saved me £9 in itself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport