PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• GardenGirl77
    Options
    I threw away all papers that were not need and piles of things I was keeping just in case. I also did the same with surplus stationery that I was keeping in my draw and dare I say it, carrier bags and shoes I have worn.

Thank you :) I had visions of standing my pens on end and trying to fold everything!
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please don't throw away your carrier bags. Up here on Scotland you are charged 5 p for each bag. My mountain of bags is greatly reduced as I use them to line my bins. Also a fresh bag every time I buy a chicken or fish.
    I have folded all mine and stored them in a tissue box.
  • penguine
    penguine Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spent about an hour yesterday going through my clothes and it made such a huge difference. I have an underbed drawer with tops in it now, all in tidy rows. In our old house I used to keep my cardigans and fleeces in a sloppy pile on a shelf of my wardrobe but it's amazing how little space they take up when folded properly.

I've got far too many clothes hangers now. Will have to get rid of about half! Once I was done I was able to get rid of one of the two wardrobe boxes I've had my clothes in since we moved which led to reorganising the entire bedroom and it looks amazing. I think starting with clothes as Konmari advises makes so much sense. It was really quick and easy and made such a huge difference that I'm inspired to keep going.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2015 at 1:58PM
    Options
    Is rolling up the clothes for the charity bag
    Sushi style gannin a bit too far?

Got loads in the bag
    They steam them anyway
    As long as they are clean
    I have excess hangers now as well
    CS shops. Will take them to sell but they use their own
    For the racks of clothes for uniformity

Can't believe how much this funny little book
    Has changed my life
    So looking forward to living lite
    And getting out there instead of
    Managing my clutter having less to deal with
    Read on another website
    Be a good steward for your life and belongings
    So true
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This morning I did the bathroom - had 4 showergels and 6 shampoos and no spare toothpaste .That isn't a lot for me as I usually bulk buy on line. I used to keep all spare toiletries in the airing cupboard but now they are all in a pretty box in the bathroom. I rolled the towels after cutting off the labels. Also rolled facecloths and found a pretty basket to put them in. I found some nice soaps so found a glass fruitbowl that was once my MIL's so put the soap in that and put it on the windowsill.All the little bits from holidays and hotels are now in a huge bag to give to one of my friends. Now I am sorting all the bedding in the airing cupboard.
  • PixieDust
    PixieDust Posts: 944 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 14 January 2015 at 2:25PM
    Options
    I chucked all of our face flannels, nobody ever used them.
    I, too, have a newly acquired surfeit of coat hangers :D

I have one of those very pretty shade-and-plate sets for large Yankee candles.........oddly I found that the plate brings me joy but the shade doesn't!!!
  • flipper_72
    Options
    iQueen wrote: »
    Well done on making a start and getting the little man konverted! For smaller items, plastic fruit packs are good, especially for children's undies or very flimsy adult ones and fine scarves. :A

I think these smaller sub-categories give the instant result that continues to motivate.

You might find the threads on Mumsnet particularly helpful. MK appears to be childless, so far, and isn't much help, if any, for toys. The posters on Mumsnet are full of great ideas for kondo-ing toys. :dance:

Thanks, I will take a look over there.
    All the toys are in labelled ikea boxes already so I am happy with these, I also swap out boxes and hide them in the spare room from time to time to make them "new" again when they reappear.

Even more impressive is the fact that my DH saw me doing the childrens undies and DID HIS OWN!!! He is a shove it in anywhere type normally. I will show him how to do tops next, hopefully he will also be a convert :D sorry konvert ;)
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2015 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Aaw everyone is doing so well
    I agree mums net is a great resource for busy mums
    I read a lot of their posts even tho im more gransnet age
    Glad to hear some are converting kids and partners
    After all when mothers happy everyone is happy
    A tidy home means more time for fun
    Our cult leader may update her advice re children and toys
    Surely she has some clients with them
    Can't remember them mentioned in the book
    Just a grown up client with a hoarder mother
    I zoned out a bit when I read what she does when she gets home
    Emptying bag making herbal tea a nice shower then relaxing with a book and sipping herbal tea. Yeah right
    The point is I think you can adapt the main parts of the book mostly getting the c**p out of your life
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I started to read the book last night. Got to work (work at home) now, but really wish I could start to make an impression.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    I've Kongoed the my office at work and have found that I have actually found it has made me productive.

NOW, imagine how easy and quick housework will be!

My daughter was a born Konvert, before MK was even a twinkle in her father's eye! She cleans her 5 bed, 3 bath house, top to bottom, in 2 hours, every Saturday! :rotfl:
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills