Week+ holidays.. We don't get it.

Options
This may be better posted in the holidays board -- but it's not an overseas question.

So background: My family consists of OH & me both in mid-30's and two young children - very standard nuclear family, no special requirements. Until relatively recently we have always put our money towards longer term saving which meant that holidays have been very few and far between in our 14 year relationship and always in the UK. However, we are now in the fortunate position of the a recently improved income and finishing up the mortgage in our probable forever home -- time to save through the year and in the summer go see the world !!

But... but... we just don't get it. Exactly what do you do all that time on holiday ? When we have been away for a bit - we both find we are 'done' with where ever we are after 3 days usually and start to look forward to getting home. We took the kids to Butlins Skegness this year which apart from the weather being not great was a fun time (my god - the pool they have is just AMAZING !). We stayed mon-fri which was definitely a day too long - the kids were tired and so were we on the last full day. If we stayed a week we would have been seriously bored and fed up.

So please explain to me for those that go away for a week or more - what on earth do you do ? The beach is good for one day, sightseeing - perhaps another day, but what about the other 5 days ? On our honeymoon in York we did tourist things for two days, then bored of tourism, we spent the other 3 spent in a park reading endless books cuddled up to each other enjoying truly beautiful sunshine but both knew we could have been at home doing the same for a fraction of the price. Just before we met, I went to Las Vegas for a week and San Francisco for following week with friends, but in both places I was done with the city after again 3 days.

The OH thinks we should go out on many day trips spread throughout the spring/summer/autumn rather than one big holiday somewhere, but there must be something to going away for a week in some far off place since that is what everyone else seems to aim for, but we just don't get it... can you help us understand, what do you do over a whole week+ ?

Comments

• ALI1973
    ALI1973 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For us, our most enjoyable holidays have been to Orlando. We do the theme parks (I am not a ride person, but I love the atmosphere), go to the beach, eat out at different restaurants, as well as cooking in the villa sometimes, visit Nature Parks and do some shopping.

We also spend time reading, playing games and being generally goofy with the kids, things that we don't get to do during the normal day to day.

We were very lucky a couple of years ago that we got to stay for four weeks, it was bliss.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We tend to do multi site holidays - example once we flew into Basel, stayed 2 nights then went to Zurich - 3 nights, Lucerne 1 night, Interlaken 4 nights, Geneva 2 nights then home.

Otherwise we do America where we spend time at theme parks, beach, pool, museums etc.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 January 2015 at 8:59PM
    Options
    This may be better posted in the holidays board -- but it's not an overseas question.

So background: My family consists of OH & me both in mid-30's and two young children - very standard nuclear family, no special requirements. Until relatively recently we have always put our money towards longer term saving which meant that holidays have been very few and far between in our 14 year relationship and always in the UK. However, we are now in the fortunate position of the a recently improved income and finishing up the mortgage in our probable forever home -- time to save through the year and in the summer go see the world !!

But... but... we just don't get it. Exactly what do you do all that time on holiday ? When we have been away for a bit - we both find we are 'done' with where ever we are after 3 days usually and start to look forward to getting home. We took the kids to Butlins Skegness this year which apart from the weather being not great was a fun time (my god - the pool they have is just AMAZING !). We stayed mon-fri which was definitely a day too long - the kids were tired and so were we on the last full day. If we stayed a week we would have been seriously bored and fed up.

So please explain to me for those that go away for a week or more - what on earth do you do ? The beach is good for one day, sightseeing - perhaps another day, but what about the other 5 days ? On our honeymoon in York we did tourist things for two days, then bored of tourism, we spent the other 3 spent in a park reading endless books cuddled up to each other enjoying truly beautiful sunshine but both knew we could have been at home doing the same for a fraction of the price. Just before we met, I went to Las Vegas for a week and San Francisco for following week with friends, but in both places I was done with the city after again 3 days.

The OH thinks we should go out on many day trips spread throughout the spring/summer/autumn rather than one big holiday somewhere, but there must be something to going away for a week in some far off place since that is what everyone else seems to aim for, but we just don't get it... can you help us understand, what do you do over a whole week+ ?

We don't holiday any more because of my health but as a child and an adult my holidays normally consisted of exploring local areas, historical sites, regionally special things, museums, walks, eating food particular to the region, trying the language of whichever country we were in, and learning about things particular to the country or region. Often there is an activity one of us would be interested in there. So etching I have ALWAYS disliked! though happens a lot is meeting people we know while we are some where. E.g. One of the last times I went away was two days in Germany, DH was in a conference, and we were making the most of it, but the town was where some people we know live and we didn't want to meet up. They heard we had been there and were very offended. It seems we have a relative or friend of the family almost everywhere who is very offended if we don't drop in. :(

Tbh, I'd be bored stiff at a park sort of place. DH and I went on a beach holiday once and agreed every second day on the beach and sight seeing/exploring the other days...that was ok for a compromise.

We did Disney world when I was about nine and sea world or something the year before. Mainly because we were in Florida a lot for other reasons. I think something like Disney is worth doing once.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Example holiday for you. 10 days in the canaries.

Day 1 arrive.
    Day 2 DH goes scubaing for the day, DD and I explore the local area
    Day 3 off in the hire car to see something
    Day 4 day out in the hire car
    Day 5 DH scuba, DD and I on local beach
    Day 6 out in hire care
    Day 7 out in hire car
    Day 8 DH's last scuba day
    Day 9 trip out in car
    Day 10 leave

Saw pretty much the whole island in those 5 days and had some rest time while DH was scubaing. I find a fortnight is too long (unless on a US road trip) and a week a bit too short.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • SanguineSteve
    Options
    I know people that go to all inclusive beach resorts for 2, even 3, weeks.

Sounds like my idea of hell.
  • lao_cat
    lao_cat Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    We do activity holidays rather so hiking, rock climbing kayaking cycling etc. it really depends on your interests tbh I wouldn't go somewhere just for the sake of seeing tbh! I have friends who would go sailing or surfing it just depends what your are in to. We went hiking in the Grand Canyon and I was amazed only a tiny percentage of visitors actually go beyond the rim.

We dud the camino del Norte and it was amazing amazing small towns fabulist scenery great weather and wonderful food.

For me cities are something I'd visit on a weekend rather than a weeklong holiday.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2015 at 9:26PM
    Options
    You pick somewhere that has activities you like. It's not about ticking off a hit list of things you think tourists do.
    More than one day on a beach bores me witless, but I like history and I just like being in a different environment. So, for example, a travelling around holiday in Egypt was great. Hieroglyphics and tombs, beach and snorkeling, markets museums and tourist tat, Nile boat trip then a swing into the western desert. Perfect as it's variety, chill out and historical.
    Whereas a more package type holiday, pick somewhere that has historical sites, somehere with lots of boats to watch/ go out on (I like boats), local transport or car hire to explore where and when you feel like it. Or the Greek Islands where you can get a ferry elsewhere if boredom sets in. Or somewhere where I can get some decent hiking in.
    Sun caravan holidays - pick somewhere with beaches, walks, good food, historic houses and gardens, and interesting cities to go and poke round. Then chill or go out depending on mood and weather.
    Yes in theory I could sit and chill at home. But I don't. Because the dog's nagging to go out, or I've got to rush back from a day trip to take him out, I'm looking at all the jobs round the house and feeling guilty for not doing them, and my mum keeps popping round because she knows I'm home. Plus the weather's rubbish and I get ratty being at home because I feel like I'm wasting my holiday when there's a whole world to see. But that's just me.
    So forget what you think you should do, and do the things you like. Or take the plunge and try something new.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We tend to relax, play cards, eat and see the local sights.

Nothing too taxing but an all inclusive resort isn't my idea of fun, neither is a big city break and the ultimate worst has to be Disney or similar !
  • squirrelchops
    squirrelchops Posts: 1,907 Forumite
    Options
    How about camping abroad then you can move on as much or as little as you like?
    OH and I have a campervan and one holiday to France we didnt stay more than 1 night anywhere over 2 weeks! Drove 3000km - OH loves driving but I do find this pace a bit much and would rather a few places just doing 1 night then have a couple staying 3 nights or so.

As others have said we find compromise between sightseeing and just chilling.

Once you find what works for you, you would happily stay on holiday for weeks before coming home. I can easily do 3 weeks in France and if you said I could have 6 I would be happy.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    For variety cruises make great holidays because you wake up in a new place each morning - either a new city or historical site to explore or a new beach to chill out on. With a package holiday we tend to alternate between days out and days sobbing around the pool/beach. For days out I like to visit historical sites, go on boat trips, visit nature reserves, ride a camel/horse/beach buggy etc etc.

You also find that a two-week holiday abroad doesn't cost that much more than a one-week holiday, because most of the cost goes on the flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure