PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My January Challenge

Options

Comments

• Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I had a 'no spend' January weekend due to my husband being in bed for two days with toothache. And yesterday I found a 'last of the Christmas knockdowns' bargain in Cargo. They were selling top end marmalade with named brand whiskey down from £6 to £2 for three (smallish) jars. It worked out cheaper than the supermarket brands. I bought two and we tested one this morning. It was so delicious I'm going back to buy the rest. They have a long sell-by too.
  • katherinedrex
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this post. I am not very well today and suppose to be finishing off some accounts work but I know it would be more advantageous to do this work tomorrow. Thought I could at least be productive and go through my freezer and see what I could get ready for mine and my husbands dinner. Hate sitting doing nothing even hewn ill. Well once I started sorting out the freezer I could not stop. I have sorted out all my drawers, now have everything in categories of each drawer and have thrown await 5, yes 5 plastic shopping bags of food which we would never have eaten, from as early as 2013 or have freezer burn. I feel so good and able to plan every meal until the freezer is free enough to defrost. I reckon I have about 3 to 4 weeks meals which I had completely forgotten I had. Thank you so much.
    :wave:
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I took advantage of the low price of sugar in Poundstretcher to stock up for jam making later in the year so although I said I was going to run down my stock cupboard, this was too good a price to ignore :o

Sugar 1.96
    Bread 0.69
    Tortillas 0.75
    Milk 0.44
    Fruit 3.07
    Cornettos 1.00 :o

Total spend on food was £7.91

Sausage, mash & beans for tea tonight :)
  • katherinedrex
    Options
    Did our shop for the week last night at Sainsburys. Cost £30.48, which included £6 on large Lenor as I have nearly run out but it had £1 off so got it this week. My husband got a new mug for his cuppa's as the handle had come loose on his other and had a slight chip out of it. Cannot do with chipped crockery. Nothing else to buy this week and from store cupboard I am going to make what bread we need. Got milk in the freezer and all our meals. Even got packed lunches covered. Really pleased with myself. Looking forward to see how I get on. How is everyone else getting on.
  • katherinedrex
    Options
    Did our shop for the week last night at Sainsburys. Cost £30.48, which included £6 on large Lenor as I have nearly run out but it had £1 off so got it this week. My husband got a new mug for his cuppa's as the handle had come loose on his other and had a slight chip out of it. Cannot do with chipped crockery. Nothing else to buy this week and from store cupboard I am going to make what bread we need. Got milk in the freezer and all our meals. Even got packed lunches covered. Really pleased with myself. Looking forward to see how I get on. How is everyone else getting on.
  • torbrex
    Options
    a couple of extra's in my shop today as I fancied a treat for my tea tonight :)

Double Cream - 0.76
    Jar of Mustard - o.25
    Pasta - 0.25
    Bread - 0.69
    Milk - 0.44
    Grapes - 1.49

Total spend on food - £3.88

Tonights meal will be chicken in a cream sauce with brandy and mustard :)

Nearly at the end of January and I'm not even halfway through my freezer stock yet. I think I have saved about £35 by not buying any meat this month, maybe more :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    small shop earlier this week and my total for January now is £23.69.I was given an Aldi voucher that has to be used up by close of buisiness tomorrow so I'll have a shufti in the Sittingbourne one tomorrow morning and if there is not enough stuff for me to buy to use it up I will give it to someone with a trolley full.At the moment I think I need around a tenners worth of bits to finish the month off but if the staple stuff is a reasonable price then I may splash out to stock up for the whole of february as it being a short month anyway I might be able to only have milk and fresh fruit and veg to buy then IYSWIM.Depends on what I see tomorrow.I have been doing a lot more baking for my family and everything I have had for dinner this month has come from the freezer.I made a very large vat of carrot and coriander soup on Monday which will do for the rest of the week.Today I have a bag of onions I have to slice,dice and freeze and also I have half a dozen apples that will be getting stewed as they are getting a bit wrinkly in the bowl.I actually have one shelf in the freezer thats not actually crammed tight now
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I found a tin of Sardines in my cuboard today so I made Sardine Pate and had them with Crackers left over from X mass .

Hi any chance of the recipe I have had a look online, and it says you need a food processor to make pate :( this I haven't got only a blender or food mixer and a mini chopper .I'd love to make pate but baulk at buying another gadget (especially one as expensive as that)
  • torbrex
    Options
    Rats :(
    No brandy in the house :eek:
    The chicken is defrosted, I will need to think of something else :o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    January almost done and I'm pleased at how it all panned out.Had only 56p left from the food budget but I'm pleased as I now have more than enough food in stock to get me through most of February, bring it on :):):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure