PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

useless with money

Options
1235»

Comments

• Catcherupper14
    Options
    You seem to have labelled yourself as useless with money on no evidence at all - which bears out your statement that it is tied in with emotions.

You've managed a household and brought up children and have no major debts so that sounds like success to me.

Your kids are at uni - so they must have something about them, which you have contributed to.

Where do you feel you have failed? by which I mean what financial situation do you want to be in. I know that if I feel I have nothing to save for I tend to fritter away money. Are you feeling that you should have a certain amount put away? certain gidgets or gadgets? a particular type of house/car/thing? All this kind of thinking affects me when I have a bout of depression, but when I'm back to myself I don't think about it.

I think you need to try to resolve your depression, clarify where you want to be financially and what you are prepared to do to get to that point. Money and things are so tied in with self-esteem that when yours is low it will affect your viewpoint (and your spending).

For example I now find that the grocery challenge helps me control my food spending, but I am not comparing myself to people who live on beans all month - I just want to stop wasting money.

There is a newish thread on here about make do and mend, one on the health forum about not buying new toiletries before using up what we have - do any of those appeal?

Posting an SOA on the debt-free board is great - there are some real experts there on getting costs down.

It's a big pick & mix so grab what suits you.

If you find something that strikes a chord with you then go for it.
  • randomer
    randomer Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills