We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What makes a house 'homely'?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One other thing, people have said cooking/baking - well if you don't have time or simply want the smell and not the food, then I highly recommend wax tarts, not just the Yankee candle ones.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    A pet - dog or cat for me, preferably both, a home is not a home without a pet!

When I met my hubby to be when he suggested we move in together I told him I had to have a cat or I wouldn't want to live with him! He wasn't keen on the idea at first, he'd never had a cat in his whole life but since, he's grown to love them all as much as me!

I could live anywhere just not without pets. I've always loved animals and they mean so much to me - they have been a part of my life since I was very, very young.
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    I second happy with pets. We lost our Bruno 2 years ago tomorrow then an ex collegue was getting rid of a dog in February and we ended up having him. He was a little swine for some while and still has his days, but I love him to pieces
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For me personally, a bunch of fresh flowers up the corner, soft lighting and a couple of small dogs snoring on the settee.
  • normandeguerre
    Options
    Moving upstairs!

We are somewhere in the middle of renovating the kind of house that we have been searching for seemingly forever. Stressful and exhausting though the whole process is, included in the adventure is the movement of the main "living space" upstairs (with bedrooms on the ground floor and in the loft extension). And what a fantastic contrast: upstairs south-facing lounge and "bookroom" and an east-facing kitchen - all wonderfully light and warm - downstairs a large, dark, cold, dungeon of a soon-to-be-ex-kitchen, and two pleasant bedrooms. Through the Xmas period we have been heating only with the little Firefox wood-burning stove in the upstairs kitchen (insulation being a vital component).

Otherwise? (and in no particular order): Books; children; music; (eventually) masks on the walls; couches, sofas and settees; odd (unmatched) chairs; wood (preferably unpainted and caressed with horse supplement raw linseed oil [no VAT and wonderful food!]); lamps; a large papier mache lion with his feet on the ceiling; a big old desk; a loving partner; more books; rugs; heavy curtains; lime plastered walls; spider plants; spiders; views of trees; a garden outside; bookcases; lack of television aerials; warm welcome to friends; a healthy level of dust, detritus and day-to-day living; a snug for the video/DVD/television; a well-stocked larder; warmth from a stove/fire; curves, rounded-off edges; sunlight and candlelight and firelight; even more books; good insulation; hustle and bustle; the postman; a new roof; the rain; the feeling, finally, that you don' wanna be nowhere else!
  • Vic5
    Vic5 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, a house that's not too tidy. Friends say our house is homely and I can only think that's why! Also, photos and a few personal bits and pieces. I think carpet is homely as well.
  • julie777
    Options
    emiliah wrote: »
    I like lamps and candles, rather than bright central lighting, quite a few plants to soften the rooms and nice warm colours for soft furnishings, curtains etc.

Think you hit the nail on the head here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport