🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What makes a house 'homely'?

Options

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the family and their clutter that makes a house a home.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Add books to that and it sound like my type of house :)

We have plenty,but they are upstairs :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree with all of you.

I personally think lamps/soft lights seem to make things more homely. Definitely carpets/rugs, I used to live in a place with stark wooden floors throughout and it never felt comfy to me.

Where I live at the mo has high ceilings and thus quite a lot of wall, I'd like to put up a shelf but I'm renting so it's a no go.

I've also realised that most of us have our tat/toot even if we don't think of it as that, it's all subjective.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tat... as I tell my partner :P
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    A cat by the fire.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A cat by the fire.

Or on the chair, windowsill, sofa, cushions, floor, lap, or just cats in general :D
  • emiliah
    emiliah Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    I like lamps and candles, rather than bright central lighting, quite a few plants to soften the rooms and nice warm colours for soft furnishings, curtains etc.
  • Poppops
    Poppops Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's all about texture, colour and lighting. Different textures in rich colours with soft lighting

I have finally got my house looking homely, in my opinion and to my personal taste only of course, and couldn't tear myself away from gold and burgundys with rich brown additions

I steer away from bright white and blues as I feel they are more suited to a warmer climate!
    Sealed pot challenge member #325
    £591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
    Target £246 / £500
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I forgot the lamps and candles.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • andyyorks
    Options
    A really good range of books around in my opinion. My daughter would say cuddly toys. Wife would say cushions! Agree with "people in it" comments though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport