We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What makes a house 'homely'?

Options

Comments

• Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    I loved this.

There's a great children's book called "Six Dinner Sid" about a cat that does the rounds of a neighbourhood, being fed by everyone.

He turned up this morning for a bit of nosebag but wasn't impressed because I haven't lit the fire yet. Considering he can't talk he certainly made his irritation felt.

I've been outside since breakfast chopping logs and stacking them, he found a nice spot in the sun and watched me to make sure I didn't wander off to do something more interesting.

About half an hour ago the lad turned up with his springer, the dog had his usual mad 10 mins. until Cat smacked him on the end of the nose and he settled down and peace was restored.

Right, I'm of to play with the chainsaw while the sun is still shining. :D
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    I might just start calling him Sid, at the moment he's just Cat as I have no idea what the people he owns call him.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    What makes a house 'homely'?

One of these helps...

homely.jpg
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    People and pets for me, with a light scattering of books and yarn.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your frame of mind
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our friends came over last weekend. The first thing one of them did was kick off their shoes and lounge on the settee with our big Christmas cuddly reindeer. And I'd do the same at their house.
    The feeling that we're free to relax in each other's homes and not worry about dust, mess, clothesmaids and 'stuff'. With other freinds I feel like I have to tidy before they come....
  • runrosyfox
    Options
    I moved into my place a year ago. I set up from nothing (apart from personal possessions, eg clothes). I'm not the sort of person who buys ornaments and "stuff" to achieve a particular look or fill up a shelf or mantelpiece (which is good for my purse!).

Instead, I pick up things that I see when I'm out and about in different places that "feel like me". If you take that approach, I think it takes longer to physically fill your house - but it feels more like home in the long run.
  • h15t0r1an
    Options
    I agree that cats make a home 'homely'.

Our cat passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago. My house is that little bit less homely :(

Sorry about your cat Metranil Vavin.
  • h15t0r1an
    Options
    I loved this.

There's a great children's book called "Six Dinner Sid" about a cat that does the rounds of a neighbourhood, being fed by everyone.

Haha ! Met a few real cats who had their rounds like that. Two families even thought the one cat was theirs ! Smart, aren't they, cats 😀
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    Definitely your own 'stuff'. We rent our flat off OH's mum so nearly all the furniture, paintings etc are hers, and it still doesn't quite feel like 'my' home yet. I'm hoping once we get our own place it will feel more homely.

I also agree about the comfy furniture (I am another one who has a thing about cushions - they add colour), candles, and the feeling of being able to relax.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport