Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 92.1K views

Replies

• scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    eBay auction finished, the item has sold and for a good amount once it's been paid I'll plan on posting on Monday. I think I have enough stamps to cover the postage cost but want to get proof of posting and check I am actually putting enough on there to cover postage costs).

I've added two more items to shpock and gumtree and hopefully after my meeting at work will have time to add them to ebay as well before my shift actually starts.

My second attempt trainers have arrived and feel like a good fit so I'm also taking them to work with me along with an old pair to switch the laces from tied laces to lock laces so save me having to deal with the disgusting muddy knots after a run. I've also got the old and utterly minging pair bagged up to take with me tomorrow as there's usually a shoe amnesty recycling point for the really dirty ones other recycling places wouldn't want.

I took a bag of recycling out and found that my bin cupboard is pretty close to over flowing thanks to the fairly strict sorting out I've been doing - can't for the life of me remember if its green or black bag collection this week, although as there are several of each in there it doesnt make alot of difference, either way there's plenty to get rid of!
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got home from work last night and lovely neighbour had put out my bin bags and food waste caddy so I just had to add two more bags and the food waste from my kitchen.

eBay item posted, annoyingly as I'm an infrequent user the funds have been held, so I won't get the payment until its marked recieved (they wanted tracking information but as I'd not sold it with tracked postage).

Possibly got a couple of other bits sold on shpock too, as always will wait and see if anyone turns up to collect or not.

Today's plan is to keep packing some of the odds bits and pieces so they're out of the way and the place looks tidier when theres a viewing tomorrow.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just sent a message on ebay chasing to see if last weeks sale has arrived as I've not had feedback and ebay won't release the money until its there.

Popped in to town as I needed to buy fresh stuff for dinner, dropped the two old pairs of trainers in the charity bin, and put the new too small ones in the post to get my money back.

Had a shpock sale last night, one of the few who express an interest and actually turn up on time, so thats three small items out of the flat for a £2 addition to the savings tin.

Going to take myself out for a short run later, in the meantime I'm sb survey hunting, after the run I'll try to get some more bits on gumtree/shpock, and I think there are a couple of bits I can safely ebay as they're lightweight and easy to pack to post.

I've also offered one of my work colleagues some of the spare kitchen bits I have lying around as he's off to uni in a few weeks - it's stuff I'll almost certainly not manage to sell so would have ended up charity shopping it eventually anyway.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Took the bag of kitchen bits to work for my colleague.

The male's friend at the reclaim yard delivered the cut to fit scaffold boards on Friday so the male spent Saturday turning them in to shelves in the alcoves either side of the chimney breast in the living room, I took the bulk of my keepers book collection (Pratchett's, Aaronovitch, D. Adams, and swimming books) and have rehomed them on the new shelves. There's another shelf still empty which I plan to put the Stockwin's on when I go over there next. It's going to be a while before I embark on my reread of those so they may as well be housed in the meantime as my shelves at home were always too full for them. I now have nearly 2 shelves of books I want to keep still at my place which I'll box up ready to be stored.

I popped in to Mr T on my way home for fresh milk and salad for dinner, as I have about a month before I move out I decided it would be a good idea to start picking up what I'll need for the deep cleaning of the flat once I'm out - so I started with floor cleaning solution - the bloke has a mop and bucket I'll grab when the time comes but he's nearly out of cleaning fluid himself.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aquired five more boxes from work this week so have packed the keep but store books, and taken the Stockwin's to the male's - although I can't actually reach the shelf they're going to be living on so need to take my IKEA stool for that.

The male has now moved in to mine for the week while his bathroom is being refurbished, which puts us in the last few days of my living even part time at my place! This weeks jobs are check prices for an end of tenancy clean - I have booked time off to do it myself but I could also just save myself the hassle.... Book the storage unit for my stuff and probably pay for the first year up front. Try to make an appointment with my bank to discuss changing my accounts and setting up savings (will check rates etc on here first). Start to notify suppliers that I'm moving out so I can cancel accounts. At some point I'll make a to do list of those and post it here so I can keep track.

In the meantime the rest of today needs to be spent dealing with my final assessment for my work qual and running creatoraday and sb video apps.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    A general sense of irritation rules today.

I went in to work to try and finish my qualification assessment process, thanks to tech issues it is still incomplete.

But I have booked a storage unit, and I called my internet people and cancelled that as of the end of September, I tried to contact the council about my c.t but the website wouldnt recognise postcodes for my place or the males place so I gave up on that one (there also weren't good options for reason for moving - buying/renting but no option for joining an existing household).

I've added a few more bits to gumtree, shpock and facebook market place. There are a couple of gumtree listings close to expiring so one of them I'm going to try to ebay, the other I'll probably throw in to the charity bag.

Equally the pile of stuff I'm planning to get rid of is growing so I'm half tempted to see if theres a car boot or table top sale in the next couple of weeks and try to offload it that way.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found a weekly car boot sale near home so the current plan is to go on the week I have off work to get rid of as much as I can, then take the remainder to a charity shop.

Today is rent day so I'll be cancelling my payment tomorrow, I've already called and cancelled my internet and phone line. Still not had another try at informing the council of my move so that's a tomorrow task.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rent cancelled. I've downloaded the paperwork to apply for a refund of my tv licence and cancelled the payment.

I've finally sorted out the online form to cancel my council tax so hopefully they'll let me know what my final bill will be soon so I can cancel that too.

The male came back tonight and said the work is all but done at his so he wants to go back to sleeping there from tomorrow. So I've packed the rest of my wardrobe and it's all in my car for me to take there tomorrow after work when I go to stay.

I'll be coming back to mine after work during the week to grab things I want there and likely be back during the days too so I can pack and sort. I need to call and book a van for the end of the week now we know we're definitely moving me out then.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of days to go before I start moving things in to storage, still not paid the full deposit but then I've also not heard anything from them about setting up paying for the rest of the year I've booked. That'll have to be a Friday job as I don't think I'll have time tomorrow.

Been invited to go to a Morrisons Local Food Fayre, it fits with my shifts so thought it would be interesting to go along, and worst case I get some vouchers for spending in store as a thank you.

Over slept this morning so just had a shower and washed my hair (it takes so much longer here than at mine :( ) and washed my work shirts. In the process I discovered that while the male likes a clean and tidy home he doesnt appear to ever clean the washing machine - taking my stuff out I was worried about it touching the seals as they're minging - I'll be cleaning that over the weekend before I need to do any more white washing!

I really need to start unpacking too - the suitcases I brought over on Monday night are still sat in the middle of the living room floor getting increasingly surrounded by the other stuff I've brought here after work. Though I think I'm broadly done now, possibly a few small things but other than the as yet unrelocated fish tank, and my bike (need to get a copy of the males shed key when he's awake at the same time as me next),I could fairly easily never set foot in my place again.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had post to the new address. It was my final water bill. Which sucks - I'd rather hoped the first post would be something vaguely interesting. Although given I know my Dad has put two letters in the post for me as redirects from home (I have my suspiscions as to what they are, and I've tried to change my address with them several times).

Tomorrows day time plans include a trip to the storage place to pay the rest of the deposit, check the size of unit and hopefully sort out insurance, then I'll be driving down to the van hire place to book that as they wouldn't take the booking online this morning due to tech errors. Finally I'll go to the flat and move stuff around enough that we can take out the remaining furniture on Saturday afternoon, and whatever else we can reasonably fit in the van.. Everything else I'll take over in the car next week when I'm in there cleaning since the storage place is on my way home from the flat.

My soon to be ex landlord has emailed again asking what my plan is regarding cleaning - do I plan to leave money in "escrow" with the letting agent to cover cleaning after they finish redecorating and fixing the ceiling.....erm lets see no I really have no intention of paying for their deep clean after they fix the water damaged ceiling and walls!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here