Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 92.1K views

Replies

• scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Took a small bag of stuff to the charity shop this afternoon, and dropped a conference freebie metal flask off with a friend.

Bought food for the next couple of days, spending about £20 at L's, T's and M's. But also got my £5 voucher from the M's loyalty scheme.

Have listed a few more things on the local fb selling groups.

Got four books that ziffit will take but only worth about £3 so trying to find some in my to read boxes that they'll take and will get me over the £5 threshold this weekend.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Managed to get the books over ziffits threshold so got those to drop off at a collection point tomorrow. Listed a few more bits on fb selling sites, so far no interest but I'll keep adding bits, at some point I need to reactivate my shpock and gumtree accounts on the new phone but I have little enthusiasm for it at the moment.

Currently thinking about entering a night swim event on Friday, I should finish work early enough to get there but I'll be tired from a long shift so I'm a bit torn about it.

Hit the redeem point on another survey site so waiting for £10 to be sent to the bank. I really need to cash out swagbucks too, after the fight to get my mastercard last time I've not cashed out since but really need to, I dont really want to get paypal cash as its such poor value compared to the mastercards but hate that the last few have been such a battle for no apparent reason.

Need to do some shopping tomorrow too - food is needed also some nice looking storage boxes need to be found, I want to pack my medals in to something I can keep with me rather than having them on display once I move in with the male as theres nowhere practical at his place to hang mine as well as his, so I'm thinking some nice stationary type boxes I can stack and store on the IKEA shelf unit we bought would work, I'm planning to go in to a town which has a branch of The Works as they tend to have that sort of thing available.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Day off today, had some thoughts about storing things like my running and swimming medals when I move in with the male so went in to the other local town in hope of finding what I was after at either Poundland or one of the two stationary shops. I didn't find anything suitable, but theres plenty of time before I move to sort it out. I did however buy a set of books in The Works sale, £6 for 5 books I've wanted for a while, sort of, I'd already got the first two from charity shops but hadn't found the last three and as most of my local c.shops charge £1-£1.50 for a book I decided it was worth getting the set and redonating the duplicates.

Money wise Other than the books I spent about £7 in Asda on lunch, dinner and milk.

I also dropped a small carrier bag of clothes in to a charity bin while I was out.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    So male creature casually suggested last night that I give notice on the flat before my next rent goes out.....he's finally booked to get the bathroom done at the end of August. So the plan now is give 2 months notice, so we've a buffer if anything gets delayed with the bathroom, and spend the next four weeks clearing out clutter and junk, while moving stuff I do need in to the newly created storage spaces at his - so filling my wardrobe, chest of drawers and the ikea unit.

He needs to speak to a friend of his about getting the wood to create shelving in the alcoves in the living room and possibly bedroom so there's somewhere to keep my DVD's and books. So for now I'm going to start boxing up the ones I want to keep on display, and will refill the shelves at mine with the ones I plan to get rid of as that way I can make the place look tidier for when the letting agent start doing viewings in a few weeks (at the moment the stuff I plan to get rid of pretty much lives on the living room floor hence the place feels so horribly untidy and cluttered!).

We priced up storage and its still abour £25 a week for a space roughly what we think we need at the storage place a couple of minutes down the road from his, so I plan to pay for 12 months storage and keep my sofa and arm chair, along with my shelving with stuff we think we might need to access on it, while anything else can be boxed up. His parents and brother still think that storage is pointless but none of his family have ever tried to get two people and two households of stuff in to a one bed flat......I'm sure after the first year I'll be selling the sofa and arm chair and switching to a smaller storage unit but its my security since when I split with my ex and was left replacing furniture, after having been paying rent and bills on what had been our shared home because he wouldnt sign the paperwork or hand back his keys to end the lease, thats where a fairly significant portion of my debt arose and I don't want to be in that position again.

I've already slapped mental labels on most of the bigger stuff in the flat as store, sell or junk so time to start actually dealing with the smaller stuff as well!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letter written to my letting agent ready to post when I go to the lake for a swim later, and I've emailed my landlady to let her know and thank her and her husband for having been nice people to deal with (albeit frustratingly unavailable at times).

I've also boxed up the Pratchett books the male has already read, the Hitchhikers series and the Rivers of London books, that's cleared one bookshelf ready for me to move the ones I want rid of up on to it - but first I need to scan them to see if I can get any sent off to ziffit or webuy.

I've put together another bag of things to take to the charity shop next time I'm in town.

In the meantime I've done one load of washing, and not alot else this afternoon. Amazing how much time writing a short letter and finding stamps and an envelope is (or isn't since I knew exactly where both items were stored).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the moving checklist is still growing, with not alot of visible activity to show for it.

The packed boxes are now in the back of my wardrobe, and the books to get rid of have been rechecked for ziffit or webuy options and put on the emptied shelf.

I wanted to replace a handle on one of my windows but the one I need is out of stock so that'll be a job for a later date.

I need to investigate down grading my bank account, as theres not alot of point paying for a cashback account when I'm not paying bills or direct debits to get the cash back. I'll want to also open a savings account I can't easily access for the plan to save the equivalent of the males mortgage payment towards the plan of buying somewhere ourselves in the future - my rough maths says that even doing that I can take huge chunks off the debt and be nearly if not totally debt free in just over 18 months.

In money news I've cashed out $70 from insta last night and £3 from pinecone, and a £10 sb redemption and all have arrived in my inbox.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Notice to letting agent has been acknowledged, and my leaving day is what I thought it would be. So yay, and no turning back.

Today has been mostly devoted to sorting out work stuff.

Decluttering wise I popped a post of my local residents facebook page offering out notebooks and an unopened teabags, all of which have been claimed, and mostly picked up. I also had a chat with my sister who is about to do a table top sale back home so I've said I'll send a box of unwanted books up with my parents when I see them this weekend. Gets them out of my way and if it helps make her some extra money then all good (she says she'll send some cash but I really don't mind either way as I'd only be giving them away eventually anyway).

I've packed the rabble in to a large IKEA bag ready for them to move on to the second sofa at the blokes place, gives me a bit more space to use to sort things out, although their arm chair looks very lonely without them sat there. The board games on top of the bookcase will be next in line for packing....just as soon as I clear a path to the bookcase to get at them - they'll join the pile of board games that live on top of his wardrobe. It's all babysteps but it's the stuff that makes a visual difference.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rabble and the board games have moved, three more books have moved out of the to read boxes of the firsr two, one is a keeper, one has joined a pile to get rid of and the third isnt quite finished. I need to take some books to the males place as I've nothing sat waiting for me there so I'll grab three or four of the next to reads next time I go over there.

Tomorrow is the Thames Marathon swim so night is a pasta bake and garlic bread kind of night.

Need to remember to take the box for my parents out to the car in the morning.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to take the box of stuff to the swim. So thats all been unpacked on to a shelf and the box repacked with DVD's to go in to storage. I took books to the males place last night a series of 5 which are keepers due to their author.

I walked in to town on Tuesday and dropped off another two carrier bags of stuff at the charity shop and came home with some nice board boxes to store things I want to keep in tidily (my medals from triathlon, swimming and running needed a solution as there's nowhere realistically to keep them on display once I move).

Irritatingly the new trail/mud run trainers I ordered online have arrived and although I went a half size up from my normal shoe size they're far too tight so I've offered them for sale on the facebook group for mud runners as there's an event on Saturday I'm going to, if they don't sell I'll return them next week on my day off. I've reordered a different pair and paid for guarenteed delivery for tomorrow, those are the same brand of shoe I use for my general trail shoes so have gone for the same size as those.

And on to other things.

The Thames Marathon. 14km. Henley to Marlow. Incredibly beautiful, incredibly hard, utterly exhausting. But I loved it and I suspect will do it all over again in a couple of years. I finished in 5 hours 10.49 which I'm over the moon with, as I'd anticipated it being around 6 hours or more. The first 10k I did nearly 40 minutes quicker than the Jubilee a couple of months ago - mainly I suspect due to a slightly higher flow rate in that section of the river, and no doubt partially due to there being only one feed station/weir compared to the three in the same distance of the Jubilee.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently doing a little happy dance. I listed a couple of bits on ebay as a bundle and have had bids which all being well will mean they sell for far more than I expected. Need to get myself organised and put a few more smaller items on there too.

Also cashed out £20 from a survey site and finally got citizenme working on my new phone - only a survey worth 10p but every little.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here