Yorkshire puds on a Xmas dinner - yes or no?

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,037
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Let's face it, turkey is about the most boring meat there is. Bring on the yorkshires! We have them. :D
  • Izadora wrote: »
    Is it just that they're different/not as nice or do you find they don't work at all?

I can't have them with dripping (vegetarian) so use oil and haven't had any problems. It might just be that, because I've not had them with animal fat, I don't know that they're a poor imitation of a proper YP :D

I don't know. I'm going to get some beef dripping from the butcher's and try them, see if they come out differently.

I agree, turkey is the most boring meat imaginable. That's why we never have it. Maybe because it's so boring, there have to be all the other numerous dishes alongside it? Just the sight of that loaded table makes me feel ill.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Totality wrote: »
    A bit of maple syrup on a leftover yorkshire is GREAT! :)
    And some extra thick cream ;)
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well said! I completely agree.

There are still traditional local butchers around who can supply beef dripping. Or a farm shop.

I've actually tried making YPs and cooking them in olive oil, rapeseed oil, but they just do not work.

Me and OH are vegetarian so would never use beef dripping. I use sunflower oil and they turn out lovely - they rise really well and taste delicious unlike the frozen ones
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I used to be very set about having yorkies with beef, the right condiments with each meat, stuffing with chicken/Turkey.
    But my daughter loves Yorkies & would eat them with every roast, so I have lightened up with it.

Never had them with Christmas dinner though, we already have a mountain of food. Bird, stuffing, pigs in blankets, roasties, carrots, sprouts, roasted parsnips, gravy & cranberry!!!
  • ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I'm from Yorkshire and the correct way to serve Yorkshire pudding is as a starter. no we don't have them on Christmas dinner.

Yorkshire pudding was originally a "belly filler", meat was expensive and most people were poor, so it was served with gravy before the meal.

It actually didn't become known as Yorkshsire pudding until around 1750, when a recipe was published. before that it used to be called "dripping pudding" as it was cooked under the meat (any meat) on a spit over a fire, and it is a pudding generic to the north of England - not just Yorkshire. They were cooked in a large tin and cut up for serving.

We will be having Yorkshire pudding on Christmas day.....they are my grandson's favourite part of the dinner.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Anyone else have crisps on there Christmas lunch? My family never had them but o/h family do and now it wouldn't be a Christmas lunch without them, even the boys ask for them.
    Ditto, glad someone else does this too :cool:we always had crisps with Xmas dinner on account of when we were younger, my middle Brother did not eat veg or potato of any kind so Mum gave him crisps and he put them on his dinner with gravy.
    I know it sounds weird but they are nice and I carried it on.
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Glad I started this thread! :)
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My mother never made yorkshire puddings but a batter pudding - same recipe but in a baking tray.

We would sometimes have it with cashew nuts (being vegetarian) - roasted in the tin first and then the batter poured over it.

I've not had it for years but craving it now.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,997
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Frogletina wrote: »
    My mother never made yorkshire puddings but a batter pudding - same recipe but in a baking tray.
    frogletina
    And then cut into quarters or 6ths? That was the way my Mum did it when I was a child, but I think it was due to her not having many baking tins, as she made scones in the same way and then made them into triangles and when I asked her only recently why they were triangular rather than round she said she didn't own a pastry cutter - no idea why she didn't just use a cup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure