Yorkshire puds on a Xmas dinner - yes or no?

Comments

• Yes it's christmas! Treat yourself!
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Yorkies cooked in beef dripping with roast beef only. Yum

But I'm not entering the argument re Chrissie dinner as I'm being treated to Chrissie dinner out in a restaurant and I don't care whether there's yorkies or not.

No shopping ! No prepping ! No cooking ! and definitely no washing-up :T

Great Chrissie present :rotfl:
    Lx

:xmassign:
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes should always be cooked in beef dripping I will allow goose or duck fat for Roast potatoes but they are the only exceptions and Aunt Bessie is bad language in our house.I have not seen a frozen Yorkshire pudding yet that looks or tastes how a Yorkshire pudding should.
  • Yes for a Yorkshire puddings this Christmas. I do this every year, partner them with roast beef. We even add some black pepper on it.
  • Definitely yes at Christmas, although we tend to have goose. Yes for any roast meat too.
    I'd be disappointed if I ordered a roast lamb, pork etc in a restaurant and there were no yorkshire puddings served.
  • I grew up in very rural North Yorkshire. Here Yorkshire puddings are traditionally served as a starter on a Sunday with a jug of gravy and my parents still do this. The idea is that if times were hard the puddings took the edge of your appetite so you needed less meat for the main course.

Chicken was rarely eaten during my childhood but now we would eat puddings with any roast. However puddings were never part of my Christmas dinner until I met my husband who was amazed that we didnt have them!

This year we will be having both beef and turkey - and yes plenty of puddings!
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love Yorkshire puddings so we will definitely be having them with our veggie roast. Made from scratch for the first time last year...mmmmm.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • I grew up in very rural North Yorkshire. Here Yorkshire puddings are traditionally served as a starter on a Sunday with a jug of gravy and my parents still do this. The idea is that if times were hard the puddings took the edge of your appetite so you needed less meat for the main course.

Chicken was rarely eaten during my childhood but now we would eat puddings with any roast. However puddings were never part of my Christmas dinner until I met my husband who was amazed that we didnt have them!

This year we will be having both beef and turkey - and yes plenty of puddings!

Yes, me too, just like your parents. I'm glad there are still some people who know the traditional way and who still keep it up. And we didn't have YPs with Christmas dinner. I don't think there was room in the oven to cook them as well, but also, Christmas is a celebration meal and YPs are really 'poverty food'. One Christmas we had rabbit. There were always plenty of rabbits and we were given them.

Beef and turkey - that would have been considered real affluence. Things are taken for granted now.

I don't know what DH and I will be having. We haven't decided yet.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes should always be cooked in beef dripping I will allow goose or duck fat for Roast potatoes but they are the only exceptions and Aunt Bessie is bad language in our house.I have not seen a frozen Yorkshire pudding yet that looks or tastes how a Yorkshire pudding should.

Well said! I completely agree.

There are still traditional local butchers around who can supply beef dripping. Or a farm shop.

I've actually tried making YPs and cooking them in olive oil, rapeseed oil, but they just do not work.

There are only DH and me now, and he grew up in the East End Jewish traditions, about as far from rural Yorkshire as you can get. Now you've all made me think about it, I'll go down the local butcher's and get some beef dripping. We can have YPs on Christmas Day, but as a first course, with a nice piece of beef to follow.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've actually tried making YPs and cooking them in olive oil, rapeseed oil, but they just do not work

Is it just that they're different/not as nice or do you find they don't work at all?

I can't have them with dripping (vegetarian) so use oil and haven't had any problems. It might just be that, because I've not had them with animal fat, I don't know that they're a poor imitation of a proper YP :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure