Yorkshire puds on a Xmas dinner - yes or no?

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    In your own home you mean? I've never heard of Yorkshire puddings with soup. How? Separately or with the Yorkshire on top of the soup, or the soup in it? Syrup I have heard of but have never had it myself, it tends to be an older generation that talk about eating it that way (at home)

Cafes and pubs tend to serve Yorkshire puddings tend to serve yorkies with any meat here, the more formal restaurant doesn't.

Amongst my large friendship group only 1 puts Yorkshires with any meat. We all kind of looked at her weird when she suggested it with the turkey on a Christmas weekend away.
    70+ people thought it strange, 1 thought it normal.

With soup it has to be a really thick soup. Will admit to that been more of a family thing.
    Syrup is for leftovers. Would never dream of cooking Yorkshire's just as a pudding.

Local pubs and restaurants only serve them with beef or sausages, unless it's a carvery where you select yourself what to have with the meat
    Zebras rock
  • I'm from Yorkshire too and we don't have Yorkshire puds with our Christmas meal but we do them as a starter for my 2 boys because they don't like the usual starters that you have. I also would have Yorkshire puds with any meat, even chicken but at Christmas we don't have them with our main meal, a couple of puds fill my two teenage boys up.

Anyone else have crisps on there Christmas lunch? My family never had them but o/h family do and now it wouldn't be a Christmas lunch without them, even the boys ask for them.

x
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Crisps? Like normal ready salted type crisps? Nope.
    But we do have Yorkshires, there would be lots of unhappy faces here if we didn't :-)
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 23,997
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    minimacka wrote: »
    Anyone else have crisps on there Christmas lunch? My family never had them but o/h family do and now it wouldn't be a Christmas lunch without them, even the boys ask for them.x
    The staff canteen cook at the retailers where I worked in the late 1980s would always serve crisps with the Christmas meal. I assume she did this at home as well as for the works meal. She's the only person I've ever known do it and have never heard anyone mention anyone doing it before yourself. I would love to know what the history/tradition is behind it. Unless the former cook is one of your o/hs family and it's exclusive to her:D (she was called Margaret)
  • minimacka
    minimacka Posts: 777
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Spendless I really don't have any idea why she puts them onto her Christmas dinner, as I said my side of the family never did it but MIL does and no she isn't called Margaret but she did work in a hospital canteen so maybe its that lol. To be honest they are nice its a nice salty crunch on your plate lol

x
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's not Xmas without the Yorkies! Fact.

Doesn't matter what meat you're having, or even a nut roast, Yorkshires (plenty of them), are compulsory. It's the law.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    minimacka wrote: »

Anyone else have crisps on there Christmas lunch? My family never had them but o/h family do and now it wouldn't be a Christmas lunch without them, even the boys ask for them.
    Spendless wrote: »
    The staff canteen cook at the retailers where I worked in the late 1980s would always serve crisps with the Christmas meal.

It used to be common, in the 70s/80s, for Xmas dinners at canteens/pubs/eating out to be served with "game chips", or "game crisps", which were sliced potatoes (sometimes cut straight, sometimes crinkle cut, sometimes a "lattice" of potato gratings). They were deep fried I think. So looked like crisps... but weren't.

I guess some people just tried regular crisps and stuck with it.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's against the Law not to have them isn't it? Any spare ones I have with Jam as pudding.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We will be having Yorkshire Puds on our Christmas Dinner. But its traditional to have them with Roast Beef anyway.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    We never have yorkshires for christmas dinner, or mash,or swede, or cabbage, the only veg we have are roasties, sprouts, carrots,parsnips and asparagus. That is our Christmas dinner, anything else is a Sunday dinner.!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure