Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk

11112141617

Comments

  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My price at Plumb Center for Balcas Brites including VAT is £2.40/10kg, but this is a negotiated price as I have an account.

    The standard online retail price including VAT is £4.02/10kg (product code 635451) or they do a bulk deal at £9.59/30kg (635451), always worth negotiating as a branch manager can discount these prices. Not all branches stock the product, those that do are more likely to be amenable to discounting.

    A pallet full is 72 x 10kg bags, which is a non standard size, but apparently means less damaged bags in transit, they always come very well wrapped on sturdy pallets.
  • WPG
    WPG Posts: 24 Forumite
    thozza wrote: »
    My price at Plumb Center for Balcas Brites including VAT is £2.40/10kg, but this is a negotiated price as I have an account.

    The standard online retail price including VAT is £4.02/10kg (product code 635451) or they do a bulk deal at £9.59/30kg (635451), always worth negotiating as a branch manager can discount these prices. Not all branches stock the product, those that do are more likely to be amenable to discounting.

    A pallet full is 72 x 10kg bags, which is a non standard size, but apparently means less damaged bags in transit, they always come very well wrapped on sturdy pallets.

    Does that price include delivery and are they delivered through the normal pallet networks?
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thozza wrote: »
    Just getting to the end of my first pallet of Verdo Euro Value, and I have to say that I am rather disappointed, as pointed out above they are rather dusty, but a more critical issue is that a significant number of the bags were not sealed properly, so pellets dropped out all over the place. With my storage being in an outside shed, there is a worry that the pellets have got damp, I do seem to be using more than I would have expected, even given the cold weather we have been having.

    I won't be buying again and have just ordered another pallet of Balcas Brites from Plumb Center, slightly more expensive, but I know that the bags will be sealed.


    Oops just ordered some yesterday! Too late to cancel now so will see what they look like and complain to Verdo if they're not up to A1 spec. According to the Verdo website, they are Enplus A1 so the dust should be within limits.
  • WPG
    WPG Posts: 24 Forumite
    cancunia wrote: »
    Oops just ordered some yesterday! Too late to cancel now so will see what they look like and complain to Verdo if they're not up to A1 spec. According to the Verdo website, they are Enplus A1 so the dust should be within limits.
    We've just got to the end of our first pallet of Euro Value pellets, bit more dusty than others (although wouldn't have said excessivly so) and didn't have any problems with the bags, probably not as strong as some, but not as bad as others. I'd probably order them again.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    WPG wrote: »
    Does that price include delivery and are they delivered through the normal pallet networks?

    Yes, the price includes delivery from the local Plumb Center branch on their own transport (small truck). The branch do not usually stock a whole pallet but get them delivered to the branch overnight from the Wolseley (Plumb Center's Parent group) central warehouse. If I order on a Monday, they are usually delivered to to me on a Tuesday afternoon,or latest the following morning.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just had a delivery of Euro Value pellets. They look like they're well packed with no rips or open bags that I can see. They took almost 2 weeks to arrive, but am putting that down to Palletways New Year catch up rather than Verdo.
    It will be a while before I start using them so no reports on how they perform for now.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 April 2017 at 12:19PM
    Been using the pellets for a few weeks now, the only things I've noticed different about them is the high amount of wood dust that's left in the bags and a bit of chewed up wood that I found in a bag. The bit of wood should have gone through the stove without damage though. They seem to light & burn ok, with no noticeable extra soot on the glass or ash. The bags are not the most secure, but having moved them around twice, only 2 have shown signs of the top seal coming undone.
    Overall, they seem ok, but I'd preferably buy other brands such as AKZ at the same range.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure if this has been covered? Just noticed that I'm not supposed to put any kind of plastic bags or film in my recycling bin. Landfill seems like such a waste. Any thoughts on the best way to recycle them?
  • cancunia wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been covered? Just noticed that I'm not supposed to put any kind of plastic bags or film in my recycling bin. Landfill seems like such a waste. Any thoughts on the best way to recycle them?

    I've just recycled 600+ wood pellet bags at the nearest Recycling Centre that would take them. This happened to be Preston, Lancs County Council local authority.
    I didn't ask anyone, just filled 2 tonne bags with them, as they were in-between skip deliveries. Must have come as a shock next time someone checked....
    My local centre has even stopped accepting hard plastic and has never accepted plastic bags.
    I've been looking for a pellet bag disposal solution for a while as I cannot stand the idea that biomass heating has this awful environmental by-product.

    If any other wood pellet user has any idea where else we might recycle the bags, there are many of us that would be very grateful. Supermarkets are always mentioned but I assume their plastic bag collection points are intended for the much thinner shopping bags.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In the end I phoned my local council and it turns out that the local recycling centre in Louth, Lincs takes plastic bags & plastic film so I put the bags into 1 overall bag and took them there. It seems that you can also take plastic bags to most supermarkets for recycling, not sure what they'd say if they saw someone putting a whole load of pellet bags into the hopper but they are made of the same stuff afaik.
    https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-do-with/carrier-bags-1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards