Options

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 December 2015 at 2:12PM
    Options
    BA have a Sale on

Look closely to see if they are real savings though.

FT are saying the Ex Dub Business class are good value
  • gamboller
    Options
    A friend is over in Vegas from Jan 1st and planning on driving to Grand Canyon and staying 2 nights? any suggestions on lodgings? They had looked at desert rose inn and lodgings??
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Lodging in Williams (on I-40) can be significantly less costly than in the park or in Tusayan, and won't need to be pre-booked long in advance. It's about 60 miles each way from Williams to the park, on a good quality paved fairly flat and fairly straight two-lane road. Flagstaff is another good lodging option for the Grand Canyon, but it's further east from Las Vegas along I-40.

(BTW, the only Desert Rose Inn that Google Maps knows about is in Bluff near Monument Valley, about 225 miles from the Grand Canyon - map https://goo.gl/maps/YLWzQx14imv )
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    we thought staying in the park at the rim was worth the extra cost - it was so great to walk out of our room and be right there. We had a bit of a canyon view from our window as well which was a bit special. We stayed at Thunderbird Lodge. We did book in April for an October stay, though...so availability at short notice may be questionable and you would likely have to call about cancellations.

The food in the park, at least the restaurant we visited (at Bright Angel Lodge, I think) was...less than impressive...if we did it again we would probably go out of the park to eat.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gamboller wrote: »
    A friend is over in Vegas from Jan 1st and planning on driving to Grand Canyon and staying 2 nights? any suggestions on lodgings? They had looked at desert rose inn and lodgings??
    I second ferfs suggestions of staying in the park, though somewhere with a good heating system is highly recommended as temps drop to around -20c at night IIRC :D we stayed in the Bright Angel 'cabins' in September, and had to have the fire on at night so definitely would not recommend staying in them as they do not keep heat in so well.

Would also suggest that they be prepared for snow on the roads affecting journey times, take blankets and ensure they have food / drink in the car etc - usual common sense stuff I guess :)

This page would probably be useful to them (has info on phone numbers for road closures etc), though I would suspect they keep main roads as clear as possible, when we went there in December once, the place was covered in a surprisingly quick amount of time:
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm

(oh, and of course Merry Christmas to you all :) )
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    nvh wrote: »
    I second ferfs suggestions of staying in the park
    Fair enough. I was just pointing out that there are alternative options.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I was just pointing out that there are alternative options.
    It was nothing critical, just voicing opinion - you and the original poster are more than welcome to choose and do whatever you wish :) :cool: there are too many unknown factors for either of us to be 'right' ;)
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    Just been on Excaliburs Web site to look at prices. They have wrecked what was a good site now it is clunky and terrible colors . I had to leave the website it was giving me eye strain. I think they have "improved" all the MGM web sites .
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    Just been on Excaliburs Web site to look at prices. They have wrecked what was a good site now it is clunky and terrible colors . I had to leave the website it was giving me eye strain. I think they have "improved" all the MGM web sites .
    Sounds about right for MGM websites. They seem to be the worst available anywhere.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and thanks, secretmachines, for running the thread this year!
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure