🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I really really want to be........mortgage free!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My S&S isa has dropped too. Sounds like it s a global thing and not me choosing poor funds!

Your counselling course sounds intense but will be rewarding. Am guessing it's something completely different to your day job?

Are you all over the jetlag now?
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Hi cathT it's definitely a global thing. I'm not touching mine I the next 15-20 years so I'm hoping it may go up in that time!!! Saying that the shares I brought back in the early 2000's haven't gone up a penny!!!

You're right my day job is totally different I run my own business so luckily enough I can do the training over about 3 years whilst still working round it normally.

Jetlag is still effecting me, I'm waking up between 3 and 4 most mornings but it's getting better slowly. It's been very busy at work since I've been back so I haven't been able to things back to normal as quickly as normal.

Parents gave Miniocc and me a bit of money from my nans estate today. Minioccs will go into his bank account straight away and I'm thinking of putting mine straight to the mortgage so I can meet my target. Nan was quite freugal and would have liked this. I might put in my Isa though. I'm going to take a couple of days to decide. I might do half and half. Like I say it's not a lot but I wasn't expecting it so want to do something MSE with it.

Went out with family for a meal, we rarely go out together as we're not a close family tbh. I always feel on edge when I'm with them all.

Did shopping spent £43 at Aldi including about £5 on Christmas stuff and then £26 at tesco including £15 on Christmas stuff. So £49 on actual shopping so £1under target.

In other news I accidentally made an OP of all my personal spends(long story) but I replenished from bills account so I have a few £ to last til Wednesday. So £17.50 accidentally overpaid!!!

I'm not rounding it to nearest £ as I've a few £ coming from TCB and quidco do will round up when these land in mortgage account.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds a good idea to use your money from Grandmother's estate to make an overpayment. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Sounds a good idea to use your money from Grandmother's estate to make an overpayment. :)

That's what the BF says. As I'm not great at savings in cash as I tend to dip into it so it's probably for the best to tie it up. Also it's money I'll never pay interest on again :)
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Listening to what you've said I'd OP it and enjoy the spreadsheet benefits!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Listening to what you've said I'd OP it and enjoy the spreadsheet benefits!

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm planning on doing.

Whilst considering it I updated my Signature and my post 1 targets and running totals. Doing this reminds you what a hard slog paying off a mortgage is. No matter what way I look at it I can't realistically be MF before Christmas 2024. I will be 50 :eek: and BF 59 :eek: this doesn't take into account any interest rate rises, the work that needs doing on the house, savings pensions and investments, any uni courses that will need paying for. It is a little depressing sometimes when you look at it.

BUT doing nothing is a lot worse and things along the way will surely improve the situation in a positive way. There is room in our budget for further reductions in spending day to day which even if we do some of the time will be a good thing.

Must think positive, it's still a full 7/8 years early and you never know what might happen in this time
  • Luckyinlife
    Options
    Must think positive, it's still a full 7/8 years early and you never know what might happen in this time

Defiantly OCC Is this your forever home ? if not maby in 4/5 years you could move and be mf ?

Looking long term it does make you think wow thats a long time but just look back 4/5 years ago and look how fast it goes
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Defiantly OCC Is this your forever home ? if not maby in 4/5 years you could move and be mf ?

Looking long term it does make you think wow thats a long time but just look back 4/5 years ago and look how fast it goes

Definately our forever home, we absolutely love it here and when fully renovated it will be just the most perfect house.

we will stay til were too old and doddery to manage it. I can't anticipate that being for 30 years maybe more.

Will definately not move in near future, we are older parents, miniOCC is just 7. Will be at home for another 10+ years although maybe in an annex we plan to build on for him.

Once we downsize it will be dramatically and should have lots of £££ from sale of house.

Re-Reading that our position seems quite good
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Very very stressful day at work. Arrived at work to 7 orders but no electricity. Took all day for national power to fix the fault as they had to dig up the street. Luckily I managed to use the computer and printer of my friend who has the office opposite so we would get the orders picked. Still not a great start to the week.

In other news cashback landed in mortgage account from TCB and quidco which I rounded up to £12.50 so a total of £30 OP'd in last couple of days :). OP's this month are going to be good and should meet my target which I think I set at £650 for this month. Must check what I set it at!

Also £50 referral from FC for Eds referral. Thanks ed! So I've bid on 2 property loans and have £19 something or another left so will do another bid in a couple of days when that's up to £20. i still have 1 loan in default so I'm writing off getting any of that £14 back.
  • ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2015 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Reviewed target, I set it at £600. I'm currently at £380 and my standard OP is just under £200 so I have to find just over £20 to meet my target. Will try to get to £650 if I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport