I really really want to be........mortgage free!

Options

Comments

• ourcornercottage
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    FC is something I'm seriously considering joining in with - all advice from you or anyone else doing this most welcome!! :D
    x

I use P2P in conjunction with cash savings and S&S so agree with ed that diversity is the most important thing. I have a rule on P2P that I only invest what I'm prepared to lose just in case.

I really like the P2P lending though and find it fun to do.
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Not a NSD so still 3/31 spent £20 on food for miniOCCs birthday gathering. Nothing more to buy as its a joint party and the other parents are getting the rest :)

Otherwise waiting for the updated money shuffle to start. Have limited the amounts at first so many have to transfer a little more money into each account afterwards. Then by next month should be organised. Waiting for first PO CC payment to go out too. Should be soon and as funds are a bit low for next week I need to be careful.

S&S going up a bit and a few pence back from FC.

Need to check regular saver has changed to full £250 per month at some point. I think I'm up to month 8 or 9 so need to consider where that's going next soon. It'll be about 2k so I'm thinking nationwide at the moment. I'm thinking a HSBC regular saver next but don't need to worry about that till nearer the time as I already have an account with them.
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    NSD 4/31, just thought though I'm away on business from 16th for a couple of weeks so prob not a representative month! I will be making some purchases as will stock up on miniOCC clothes and converse whilst in Bangkok as you can get a bargain or two. Will try to pick up a few Christmas presents too so will be spending a little bit.

Money shuffle starts tomorrow and had to move £5 around accounts to get everything into place! Luckily it will be all done and dusted prior to us leaving so everything will just plod along nicely whist were away.

A little return from FC and a small improvement in the ISA. Still not sure when new CC payment comes out, currently set to minimum amount so won't be much but as accounts are low I need to keep watch just in case I go OD. if so I'll shuffle a bit of money around :)

So far no requirement to touch savings and hope to manage without it. Long story short I upped my regular saver a month before I should have so this month has gone to the wire money wise but if I can shuffle money around to cover everything the saving have been increased by an additional £150 this month :)

Need to spend time on my blog but work is so busy, seem to never get anything finished. Wish it was reflected in the financial benefits but not just yet :(
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    NSD still 4/31

Went to charity quiz at local village hall on Friday in the ladies team. We were at least 2 decades younger than any other team and the questions were definately aimed at the older generation. Didn't come last which was a result. We won the general knowledge round which was the only round where the questions weren't aimed at the over 60/70's. Had there been a popular culture round we'd have been in clover!

it's miniOCC birthday tomorrow but his party has been this weekend. We went for a sport theme and had a party in the local park which is always a risk in October but we got away with it. Total spends on party £17 and a load of work!

The kids had a super duper time which shows you don't have to spend loads for them to have fun. 30 kids, doing sports (football, tennis, rounders) , pass the parcel and a treasure hunt.

Went to a family bingo night for miniOCCs football club later in the day. He's in the youngest group so we haven't been to any of these things before so it seemed a little Clicky. There was a fire alarm set off just before it started which delayed things by about an hour and it ended up finishing at about 9.30. We had to get a takeaway as we hadn't had tea as the party food was at 3pm.

Money shuffle started which is a relief as this month is tight again. £120 moved out of savings to cover everything so not too bad. Have saved a lot and had an extra CC payment this month which slightly mucked things up but only £120 switched back to cover it so still a good month.

Have loads to do before going away on Friday but I'm not thinking about it.

Sigs updated some FC returns and S&S ISA is within reach of original investment to date so :)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You're brave going to a village hall quiz night! :rotfl:

Sounds like your son had a great birthday party and I certainly agree you don't have to spend a lot. My son's birthday parties have all been very cheap and from home so far.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    You're brave going to a village hall quiz night! :rotfl:

Sounds like your son had a great birthday party and I certainly agree you don't have to spend a lot. My son's birthday parties have all been very cheap and from home so far.

It Started to rain just before party and thought we might have to move location to our house and the thought of all those kids, plus siblings plus parents in my living room put the fear of God in me!

We do have a Christmas Eve party at our house but limit it to about 30 ish people so it's not as bad although the kids do go a bit feral but after a couple of mulled wines nobody cares!!!
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to check regular saver has changed to full £250 per month at some point. I think I'm up to month 8 or 9 so need to consider where that's going next soon. It'll be about 2k so I'm thinking nationwide at the moment. I'm thinking a HSBC regular saver next but don't need to worry about that till nearer the time as I already have an account with them.

Its worth keeping an eye out for Christmas Regular Savers offered by a few of the building societies usually around November time. I had Penrith's last year (opened by post, paying 4%). Skipton and Nottingham have also done them with similar rates. Usually no requirement for another account with them, so they're easy to open.
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    NSD still sitting at 4/31! Has been miniOCCs birthday today so we've been out for dinner.

Getting ready for our trip away on Friday, will be partly incommunicado for a couple of weeks. I may be a little late with my OPs as I'll sort when I get back.

Money shuffle is nearly finished and I'll make sure everything is sorted for next few weeks.

PO CC first payment hasn't come out. Checked the paperwork and it was supposed to start today. Will phone tomorrow.

Small returns from FC and S&S ISA tantalisingly close to original investment value. Pension I can view online is going back up. Shares are up too.
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    ajdj wrote: »
    Its worth keeping an eye out for Christmas Regular Savers offered by a few of the building societies usually around November time. I had Penrith's last year (opened by post, paying 4%). Skipton and Nottingham have also done them with similar rates. Usually no requirement for another account with them, so they're easy to open.

Thanks for the heads up, that's really useful. I'm sure SJ will find this useful too :)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done hosting the party in the park, great stuff!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure