PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bun bun , sending positive thoughts for your son. It is hard watching them experience low confidence. You just have to do your best to keep things normal at home and look for opportunities to help him feel better about himself without making a big deal,out of it. Easy eh?! Mind.org is a fabulous resource - not sure how old your son is but they have a really good section on coping with college life and some of these ideas might be useful to adapt for your son.
    Loving the wear the best ideas. I am another one who tends to keep new and fab clothes and things for best then wear things I sometimes don't even like. What's that about. Ah it actually sounds like a self esteem kind of thing. Well I have not Kondo-ed my wardrobe yet but did my underwear drawer so maybe once I do it all I will only have the clothes I really love left. I have done bits of it and have a bag to go to the charity shop today. I also put in a mug and a book.
    Found myself over thinking about 6 am and of course the over thinking wasn't about positive stuff so I got up, have put lovely face oil on.....my face ha ha....and am having a cup,of tea from a lovely Japanese tea cup with birds on it. Beautiful tea set and in a display cupboard in the kitchen. I will use it more often.
    Library trip planned for today. Have a pile of books to return and will have a look to see what they have but am also trying to finish a couple of books at home.
    A big chicken leg defrosted so today I will make a curry for DH and some white sauce for me then put the bones into the freezer for making bone broth another day. I make it when I have a whole carcass or enough bones.

Ok folks off for another cup of tea. The Japanese cup is v beautiful....and v small so a top up needed.
    Enjoy the sailing on this wonderful ship. Calm waters all.
    Ex
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Planned spend yesterday on stuff other than groceries - bird food and all things avian in preparation for RSPB Great Garden Bird Watch :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savingqueen - I know what you mean, I have a £50 Debenhams gift card in my wallet! But there's nothing I need, actually that's a lie, I need a new sports bra for running and I will need smart shoes for work at some point. But on the fb sites people are always selling shoes and I can probably get the sports bra cheaper elsewhere. I think its s great mentality to get in though.

I too was up at 6am, overthinking about a stupid idiot who doesn't deserve m thoughts. So I got up and made a coffee and came on here :-)

My goals for next week:
    1. Sort car insurance
    2. Pay CC
    3. Sort tax code
    4. Meal plan
    5. Finish selling stuff / ebay etc
    6. Go away and have fabulous time in London

I am a strong, independent woman and I love it and actually I think it scares other people sometimes!
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • yellowbear
    Options
    On car insurance, at renewal time Tesco sent me a quote of £331. I went on a comparison site and Tesco came back at £226!!
    Chap couldn't believe it when I rang them. It certainly pays to shop around.
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't had a renewal yet and I'm sure it's due on 16th Feb. I'm going to do all the comparisons sites and the stand alones. I need business cover as well though and I had a third party claim, ie someone reversed into me in April, their insurance paid out, I had to do nothing but obviously my company were involved, I hope it doesn't effect it. Since then I've been being harassed by injury claim companies, just last night I had another call, I was very blunt to them, I wasn't injured, LEAVE ME ALONE!!! A few months ago they basically told me to lie and claim discomfort to get £3,000. Obviously not in those words but I can see why insurance is going up!!
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good spending week for me only spend 2 birthday cards, paper for Aldi coupon, but boy don't know my fridge and store cupboard know it !!got Ocado coming today some very good offers at moment, down to last tea bag, cat waiting for his breakfast milk low etc etc before would have done top up shop yesterday to keep going but resisted DH thinks I am mad but so determined thanks to everyone on here.

I am another one starting to wear best more, have started to clear out so much so been dropping off at charity shop so often they getting to know me lol downsizing my whole wardrobe then trying to Kondo it all.
    Nat Nat sure you have made right decision ,enjoy London I love looking around Borough market and walking on South Bank side lots to see, also V & A museum is my favourite .
    Bathory sorry to hear your news hope something crops up soon for you
    Thriftwizard great saving!
    Well have good day shipmates
    Frugal challenge 2024

• maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    pm2326 wrote: »
    Evening everyone

Well tomorrow is payday and I'm well chuffed as I've still got £100 in the bank and my Xmas money :T.

Since 1st January I've spent the grand sum of £8.68 on groceries and paid an additional £500 off the credit card and £75 off the mortgage :money:

I'm still working through the freezer and cupboards, I can see spaces appearing now but I think I may still have enough to get me through February but we'll see....only planned spending this weekend is a £10 haircut and maybe some fruit & veg.

Am in awe of you. WELL DONE.
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30849473

This is a link to an article about our 'Stuff'. Looks like many people are starting to question this desire. I'm really glad we are doing something about it.

As for wearing your best, I completely agree. I don't have a lot of clothes to begin with and I don't have the kind of social life that requires me to dress up very often, but I still have bits that I don't wear much just in case. Well, today I'm off to meet a friend at an organic coffee shop and I'm going to find something a bit nice to wear instead of my regular gear. I wouldn't usually but I have been inspired by lots of you to wear my best togs.

Fair weather ahead on the waves today. Try not to fall overboard shipmates.

Kind regards
    Slowdown:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning shipmates!

I was wide awake at 5.30 am but decided that if I got up then, I would be flaked out in my hammock by 18.00 hrs, so lounged around in my pit planning on an extra hour and before I knew it, the bosun's whistle was blowing 08.30 and I hustled out of my bed.

OK, hustled just as far as the tea-kettle, but it is a Saturday and we gardeners have to let the chill go off the land at this time of year.

savingqueen, yes, I do know what you mean. For several years I'm sure I haven't spent my pressie money on presents, that it has just slumped into general household expenditure. This year, I decided to put it in a dedicated purse and spend from there as and when I saw something I wanted which wasn't strictly necessary (and which would almost certainly be in a charity shop, anyway).

Thus far, I have bought a DVD for £1 which I have watched thrice and will watch again, a cinema ticket, and 4 reservations of library books which are being sent from elsewhere in the county. One of the four has arrived already (the Kon Marie book).

Yesterday, as I cut about my errands, I was briefly enticed by the blandishments of the Sale! notices in the window of a shoeshop I use. Not enticed enough to deviate from my intended route to look in.

The internal dialogue ran thus.

Primitive Brain; SALE!! Red notices!!! Bargains!!!! We shop there.

Higher Brain: We do shop there -sometimes. We have one pair of shoes (from there) in excellent condition. We're light on shoes, probably got up to two years' wear in this pair. Our habit is to wear the same pair all the time anyway, so any other pairs will sit around gathering dust. And because of lack of space, that will be literal dust as they will be on the bedroom floor getting underfoot.

Primitive Brain; B-b-b-but it's a SALE. Shouldn't we just look?

Higher Brain: Nope. Not needed on this voyage. Illogical consumption. They go on sale about every 3 months anyway. Shoe replacement when necessary can be scheduled to fit in with another Sale. Stop panicking, PB, even if the one pair of shoes fell apart, we could always wear our trainers up to the shoe shop to buy another pair. Heck, it's five mins' walk from our cabin, we could wear our flip-flops.

Primitive Brain (no longer listening) Oooohhhhhh!!!! Look - shiny things!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yellowbear wrote: »
    On car insurance, at renewal time Tesco sent me a quote of £331. I went on a comparison site and Tesco came back at £226!!
    Chap couldn't believe it when I rang them. It certainly pays to shop around.

Just had our building /content renewal quote : £38 per month 10 months 0%. I went onto website and got same cover from them for £21 plus £45 cash back and 1000 loyalty points paying with CC. No brainer :money:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport