PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yesterday I also found out that my lovely dad and step mum will be moving to Spain this year - something they've been planning for so long

Does anyone have any ideas for a going away present that I could give them? The place they are going to is completely kitted out so no furniture or nic-nacs needed, they have tapas and paella kits, they have plenty of photos of us all and know the area very well so local area books won't be worth it.
    Thanks in advance!

Sophie - what about 'A taste of home' package, you could send it directly to their new home, things like Marmalade, Marmite, Rich Tea Biscuits, tea bags etc. My Dad has lived in Canada for 30+ years and still loves it when we send him the odd food parcel :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • emslovesmickey
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »
    Your post stopped me dead in the water this morning. Work is pretty dreadful for me at the moment too and your comment about taking pleasure in the simple things is greatly valid.

Just before reading your comment I was sitting here in bed going over and over recent events at work. I was having imaginary conversations, dreaming what I'd like to say to an audience of staff before walking out in dramatic courtroom style! I was listing all the things I would love to say to incompetent managers and how great it would feel. I imagined how they would hang their heads and consider their own positions. Then reality dawned! Who am I kidding?

Then I read your post.
    I remembered I am probably focusing on the wrong things. Why take up my day worrying about work and building myself up into a frenzy of agitation? I should be focusing on the delights of life. The little things that hold great value. In the past I may well have sought solace in a spending spree or a glass of something. But I havent. And I won't. I shall focus on the things that really matter. Today I will feel better than I did yesterday.

Thank you

Kind regards
    Slowdown:)

You're welcome :)

As to the imagined conversations? I've done that! Usually to the song "I Quit" by AJ Mclean. I've only got one day now till a week off, which I'm going to spend working on my ten tasks, relaxing, and most importantly, NOT thinking about work!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Had some forced expenses this week, first the kettle went to the great scrap heap in the sky and I had to buy a blood pressure monitor today which I was told to by the gp.......full story on the daily :mad:

Then DS needed a proper hair cut, which looks awful, I will try and do something with it over the weekend like blow drying it properly, I could have done a better cut :mad:
    I have told him never to use the barber he went to ever again :( So I will give it a few weeks and send him round to my hairdresser who does a much better mens cut.

Plus a party tomorrow which I have to get a present and a card, two funerals one on the 29th and one on the 2nd Feb and another trip to the London hospital which costs over £12 to park:eek: not to mention the diesel it takes to get there, and two trips to the local hospital which costs £4 a time :mad: if you want a coffee it costs nearly £4 each, it seems that every time I go to any hospital these days it feels like I have been robbed:eek::eek:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    Had a bit of a spend yesterday, bought my little great niece a pair of clarks shoes in their sale for £10. Her mum was very happy as they can be so expensive. Picked my sister up from train station she is staying with me for 2 weeks, she lives in Ireland. We had a wander around cs today and she got a fab walking coat for £8.
    Out tonight at elder sisters house so not cooking but did buy some chocolates to take there. Kept the spending quite low this month thanks to this thread, we are doing well shipmates.
    I am going London Monday to see Warhorse, got tickets for £15 each on lastminute.com as part of Christmas pressie so looking forward to that. We will take a packed lunch and visit the V@A Muesum while we are there.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Rebelle
    Rebelle Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks!

What an awesome crew there is here on the good ship No Buy!! Please can I join you?

I've been reading along for about a month now, but everytime I'm almost caught up I end up not having time to read for a few more days & then I'm pages & pages behind again!

Determined to get there tho, all your tips have been so helpful & it's great reading everyone's 'guiding lights' & how people are putting this stuff into practise for all sorts of lifestyles... it's been said many times before, but truly inspiring stuff. :beer:

Well done Slowdown for starting such a brilliant thread, I have lurked on MSE for a long time & rarely post, but this is making me want to. Everyone being so enthusiastic about their triumphs with self-discipline, organisation & not spending is having a real effect on me - & I'm sure many others too. :A

I've just been on a little trip to the shops to get a few bits - usually on a Friday after work I'm very prone to buying myself treats as well as the stuff I actually need, just because it's the weekend... but today, and in fact the last few weeks I've been reading this thread, have been quite different...

Today I made a list of essentials only & stuck to it - aside from a birthday present I needed to get & had forgotten to put on my list & also 2 jars of Sharwoods curry paste which were only 69p... but I wish I hadn't bothered to get those now, I managed to smash one jar as I got to the checkout, then when I went back to the shelf to get another, I managed to knock off another jar & smash that too! Embarrassed is not the word... but it will deter me from buying anything unnecessary in future... & also from going in Home Bargains for a while due to the cringe factor. So a win for moneysaving if not my pride! :o:o:o

I especially didn't need the blooming curry paste because this week on my free evenings at home (I am out up to 4 nights at week & work fulltime Mon-Fri), inspired by you lovely lot, I got my a$$ in gear & batch cooked 12 portions of curry, along with a pan each of spag bol & chilli to go in the freezer as homemade readymeals. This meant I used up a lot of stuff that had been in my cupboards/freezer for ages & meant shopping has been minimal this month - just ingredients I didn't have in, fresh stuff, cat food, loo rolls & the like. It also means I've now got a huge stash of meals in that are quick to prepare & will stop me eating takeaways & buying readymeals when I get home late in the evening with no time to cook from scratch. :j

Wow sorry this post has been such a huge ramble, you will probably be grateful that I won't have time to update everyday but I just wanted to let you all know what a wondeful effect reading your posts have been having on me & I wanted to join in before it gets to Easter & I still haven't caught up with the whole thread!

Keep sailing on towards the horizon mateys, I don't think this ship is gonna steer us wrong... :T
    Pax Et Bonum
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your support, it may sound pathetic but this thread has helped get me through a really emotional time. I think it has given me something to focus on and your kind words have really helped even though we have all never met.

I ended up going out for lunch today which was £8.70, it was in a lovely little artisan coffee shop that's newly opened and was lovely. I also bought a hair dye, I'm trying an own brand rather than my normal one, it's a couple of £ cheaper.

The weekend will involve catching up with family tomorrow, then taken my boys out on Sunday. I already have tickets for the leisure park where they want to go, I will take a flask and lunch. I will probably buy tickets for next time when we're there. Its normally £9 to get in but £5 in advance and the tickets last a year.

Have a really lovely weekend everyone x
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Definitely will be more belt tightening for me on the 'not buying it' ship now. Have just heard from my agency this evening that my contract is terminated, no notice and no proper explanation as to why after nearly 6 months of working for them. :mad: I'm in a bit of shock as I'd no idea that I would be got rid of so suddenly (although where I worked had the most appalling management), but won't let it get me down. I will deal with it and find something else. No sinking to the bottom of the ocean - well not yet anyway. :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news Bathory. I'm in the same boat myself, and chugging along.
    Definitely more mindfulness needed in this house too but we are getting there slowly.
    It won't be a NSD today as I have a plumber here at the moment replacing the broken kitchen tap and he had to saw the old one off in the end. But a necessary evil. (Not the plumber, he's nice!)
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry about your contract Bathory. No, sinking definitely won't happen - you can always bob about for a bit if you need to!

I have been very good with my spending still, certainly nothing Ihave wasted money on. However today I felt so exhausted I agreed to DH's offer to "pick up some tea" on his way home. I have been so good at using stuff up, I had nothing very easy to cook left. He bought those curry in a bag jobs at the supermarket and similar for the kids. It was edible, convenient but not tasty and cheap (but cheaper than a takeaway I guess.) If we had bought it for a celebration we would have been very disappointed.
    The good news is that it has strengthened my resolve to keep striving to do better and DH agreed that he wouldn't fancy another ready meal in a hurry. I need to get batch cooking again, no HM 'ready meals' in the freezer.
    Bad news is that he also picked up some choc ices and expensive crisps and similar grrrrr. He was saying this was only a pound and that was only..... and so on. The problem is not a pound in itself- its the total of all the little random spends added up at the end of the month. I am going to log it all down in my book anyway and review at the end of the month and show him so he can see the results for himself. We will get there.... we ARE getting there, just need to whip the OH into shape :D

Several tugs at the purse strings coming up - both boys need haircuts asap, one needs new shoes, car insurance coming up, DH's birthday too - however they are essential spends. Just need to keep a firm rein on everything else!
  • seriouslyfrugal
    Options
    I'm another one for imagined conversations and going over things in my mind I try now to practice meditation and mindfulness sometimes it's successful others not needs work I think

I go to the cinema on cheap Tuesday and take my own drink and food I was shocked at the prices last time I went for food and drink anyone who is entitled to DLA \ Pip can apply for a CEA card it's £5.50 for the year but you get two people in for the price of one so it pays for itself in one trip I hope this helps some of you.

really hard frost this morning when I went out it was -3 for my weekly health walk still we had 42 this morning so some hardy souls soon warmed up though:j:j:j

Nat : it sounds like you've made a good decision re the bf and enjoy London most museums are free and really good so worth a look especially if the weather looks a bit dodgy

spendy week this week hopefully better next week ;)
    Emma :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport