PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• rosiepup2000
    Options
    I second all Suki1964's suggestions! I spent a happy day last year sightseeing, wandering down from St Paul's, across the wibbly wobbly bridge and then sat on the riverside outside the Globe theatre, just people-watching and looking at all the new buildings - and wondering who could possibly afford all those riverside apartments!

A couple of people mentioned buying watch batteries - I bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch a couple of years ago. They are solar powered, so no need for any more watch batteries. I'm very happy with it. You can also get watches that are powered by movement, can't remember the make off the top of my head.

I popped into Tosco tonight to get some toothpaste which was on offer for £1 - and as I had a coupon for £1 off that brand it was free :-)

Happy saving, everyone.
    Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.
    Oliver Sachs 2015
  • emslovesmickey
    Options
    That London trip sounds great! I think we forget how many free things that are available there. Unfortunately you don't get many free things down here in Cornwall :(

The whole point about taking pleasure in the simple things in life is definitely a valid one. I had an awful day at work yesterday and, before starting this venture, I would have come home, surfed online, and bought something to cheer myself up. This time when I finished my shift it made me anti-spending even more! Instead I finished reading another book.
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That London trip sounds great! I think we forget how many free things that are available there. Unfortunately you don't get many free things down here in Cornwall :(

The whole point about taking pleasure in the simple things in life is definitely a valid one. I had an awful day at work yesterday and, before starting this venture, I would have come home, surfed online, and bought something to cheer myself up. This time when I finished my shift it made me anti-spending even more! Instead I finished reading another book.

Your post stopped me dead in the water this morning. Work is pretty dreadful for me at the moment too and your comment about taking pleasure in the simple things is greatly valid.

Just before reading your comment I was sitting here in bed going over and over recent events at work. I was having imaginary conversations, dreaming what I'd like to say to an audience of staff before walking out in dramatic courtroom style! I was listing all the things I would love to say to incompetent managers and how great it would feel. I imagined how they would hang their heads and consider their own positions. Then reality dawned! Who am I kidding?

Then I read your post.
    I remembered I am probably focusing on the wrong things. Why take up my day worrying about work and building myself up into a frenzy of agitation? I should be focusing on the delights of life. The little things that hold great value. In the past I may well have sought solace in a spending spree or a glass of something. But I havent. And I won't. I shall focus on the things that really matter. Today I will feel better than I did yesterday.

Thank you

Kind regards
    Slowdown:)
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    My hub had to give some money towards his friend's gathering so I will only be putting £1,050 into savings this month. It's still good though.:)

I'm about to go and look for our home and content's renewal form to see how much it will be to get it changed to a monthly payment and then to look on a comparison site.

I can't remember who mentioned it but we are having jacket potatoes for lunch today, cooked in the oven as we don't have a microwave.

I'm expecting some deliveries today so I will have to keep an ear open for the doorbell. It's annoying as I always worry I will miss them.:p
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Slowdown - your description of replaying events in your head, holding imaginary conversations in which you come out on top and say all the things you wish you had said at the time.....how I recognise that scenario! I am guilty of all that, and have to remind myself not to be so stupid.I thought it was just a peculiarity of mine, so I am delighted to find I am not the only one doing this crazy thing.

A good bit of advice I heard recently - do not spend time brooding on what upset you because that means you are giving too much importance to things you dislike. Accept it happened, note anything that you could have done better and treat it as a learning experience then move on. Life is too short to let past events fester and spoil your present and future.

Now, when I find myself replaying events, I force myself to practice a bit of mindfulness, it works!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another guilty of replaying events here.I didn't sleep well last night for worry about the son who recently split from his girlfriend.She is now bombarding him with hate calls and texts.I must admit I have fantasized about the conversation I would like to have with her.

Small pleasures.It is a beautiful day here.

Vx
     :
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've done this, I think it's part of the human condition, such as coming back with the perfect retort about 6 hours after the insult.

These days, I'm trying to let go of the habit. It's counter-productive in that it brings the negativity over into your private life and gives the s0ds more power over you. Sometimes, I physically shrug and mime passing my hand over the top of my head, as if dislodging the thought.

Mind you, I still grin about the time I did come back with the perfect retort at the moment. I had a very elderly, unfashionable and ugly car (family hand-me-down) and was putting the shopping into the back one day in a carpark in the hometown, when a younger couple were about three spaces up, with a new and lovely car.

He said something to her about my car which was just under the threshold of my hearing, but his tone, facial expression and posture made it clear it was derogatory. He had too little self-awareness to read the look which she was giving back to me, that I'm sorry he's being a plonker look which women sometimes exchange when their man is making a fool of himself.

I dropped the hatchback, looked directly at him, and said loudly and clearly: At least it's paid for.

His jaw literally dropped and she was stifling laughter as I drove off grinning. Such fun.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Slowdown - your description of replaying events in your head, holding imaginary conversations in which you come out on top and say all the things you wish you had said at the time.....how I recognise that scenario! I am guilty of all that, and have to remind myself not to be so stupid.I thought it was just a peculiarity of mine, so I am delighted to find I am not the only one doing this crazy thing.

A good bit of advice I heard recently - do not spend time brooding on what upset you because that means you are giving too much importance to things you dislike. Accept it happened, note anything that you could have done better and treat it as a learning experience then move on. Life is too short to let past events fester and spoil your present and future.

Now, when I find myself replaying events, I force myself to practice a bit of mindfulness, it works!

What a useful post!!! Thank you so much!!

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2015 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »
    Your post stopped me dead in the water this morning. Work is pretty dreadful for me at the moment too and your comment about taking pleasure in the simple things is greatly valid.

Just before reading your comment I was sitting here in bed going over and over recent events at work. I was having imaginary conversations, dreaming what I'd like to say to an audience of staff before walking out in dramatic courtroom style! I was listing all the things I would love to say to incompetent managers and how great it would feel. I imagined how they would hang their heads and consider their own positions. Then reality dawned! Who am I kidding?

Thank you

Kind regards
    Slowdown:)

oh my goodness I could have written this! In the past It has caused sleeplessness and misery going over conversations in my head. The injustice of what was said and how I didn't have the right answers at the time to respond. I am interested to read how other crewmates cope with this.
    For those who are going through it now. Sympathy and hugs it is horrible.
    I am trying to use small phrases to try and stop my brain going over and over like... 'that wasn't how it was' 'she got it wrong' 'that's her inexperience talking' I choose one that fits the scenario and keep repeating it in my mind and try and focus on something else. It is hard when an injustice has been done and no one listens or understands.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning all, my elderly computer is playing me up a bit, so until I get a newer one (my son-in-law is going to donate me theirs as they are all using lap-tops in their house ) I may not be on too often.
    My spending, including today for this month has been really good and I have been shopping from my freezer and cupboards.

Re; The mashed potato's, when ever I have been into Sainsbobs and bought meat they seem to offer you quite a bit of flavoured butters.These I stash in my freezer until (like the other day ) I made some surplus mash to use them up I now have 6 portions of chilli mashed spuds in my freezer.rather orangey :) but taste delish.I had some with some steamed fish which brightened up the dish no end :):):)

Next time I make mashed spuds I will use up the lemon and garlic herb butter to mash them up with. The butters are free with the meat and I prefer to use my own spices when I am cooking stuff anyway.

Thanks for the tip about 'tumbling tom tomatos' I'll have a shufti and see if the local Dobbies do them (I have a Dobbies card which gives me free coffee as well )

Re; London it is my home city and one of the nicest walks is along the Embankment (which was created in the 19th century by Bazelgette to cover his huge sewage pipe works) .It weird to think when walking along one of the most beautiful and iconic bits of London pavement that under your feet flows a greater majority of Londons sewage :):):) Taking it out to the Beckton works to the east of London.(you can tell I'm a history nut can't you:)) I did the majority of my Uni history on London and the Thames several years ago.I did my degree as a very mature history student:):):) in my early 60s.

A favourite museum of mine is the Museum of London in the Barbican (City) It tells you from pre-Roman times to the 1960s how London has developed and has some amazing exhibits, its also very walker-friendly. When you are like myself and need the occasional halt to rest your feet thats important :):) Also if possible do take a flask and refill when ever possible, even bottled water is around £2.00 a thow.

Unfortunately tourism has meant the cost of seeing London has seen that a lot of shopkeepers have cashed in and I get so cross when trying to both enjoy my home town and see stuff, folk get ripped off.

We too my DGS to see the Imperial War Museums WW1 exhibition and it was so packed the boys really didn't get time to see much as you are pushed through at an alarming rate.

If you do have to find somewhere to eat then turn off the main roads and find a local sidestreet cafe if possible

Like most major towns and cities they are a lot more inexpensive .Look out for where the taxi drivers eat (I am an ex-cabbie myself ) good plain food at a reasonable price one of the best breakfasts I used to get when I was working was in the basement cafe of St Thomas's hospital

Re Barcelona I too love that city and spent time there with my DD we went to the Zoo and it was fantasic value and very entertaining
    Gaudi's church and a stroll along the Ramblas is also worth seeing.
    Well time I gor a wriggle on Hopefully I will manage to get on again tomorrow but if I don't keep the ship sailing and I'll be back asap

Have a great and frugal weekend chums
    JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family