PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the car breakdown / boiler insurance advice - I've got hubby to list it all down for researching tomorrow.

Greatly appreciated xxx
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Had a couple of supermarket spends over the last week, my mum feeds a couple of urban foxes who come into her garden nightly, so picked up some YS stuff for them. Had a 79p spend yesterday, that was it. Today I went to the fruit stall and bought dates, cherries, satsumas and then into iceland for some porridge, bread for the birds, that was it.

Was offered to be taken out for dinner, but declined, my mum and brother are going, roadworks all over town and I need to be home at a certain time to teach tonight and it would have been too much of a push, so can make something similar for dinner for just over a quid, would have cost £6 in the restaurant (still good value but might as well use up what I have).

5 bags were uplifted by the local hospice shop earlier in the week, a few more bags to go and some stuff on ebay and my decluttering will be almost done.

I only really shop in barnardos in my home town as the clothes are all 99p, the quality is generally decent enough. I tend to buy there and to donate to the PDSA or the local hospice shop.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch! Katkin Did you go to A&E and get your back X-rayed. If you have broken anything you will need to take time off work to rest it.

That sounded really nasty, best not to go in the loft when no one else is in. Take care of yourself.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ouch! Katkin Did you go to A&E and get your back X-rayed. If you have broken anything you will need to take time off work to rest it.

That sounded really nasty, best not to go in the loft when no one else is in. Take care of yourself.

Thanks Nursemaggie. My GP gave me a good going over and asked about going out to A&E for x-rays but I wasn't keen. She's going to call tomorrow to see how its going. I'm off work already with a mental health problem so I have the time to recuperate and ease myself into movement during the day with some hot baths, light bit of yoga stretching and a good hubby putting up with a lot of cursing. i'm pottering to keep moving. I have cocodamols but they hardly do anything. My old dad's stick is coming in handy for getting about especially in this ice / snow if i need to go out. I think we'll give it to this weekend then GP will call Monday again and if nothings better insist I go out to hospital.

Thank you so much for asking, much appreciated. I've been a right cursing pain in the !!!!! :o

Hope you and your son are doing ok x
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all
    I have had a NSD today despite a massive chocolate craving. But that would involve me driving to a shop and spending money so it's not happening.
    I did something spontaneous yesterday, booked a break to London! My friend is going next Friday / Sat for work and said tag along, she'll pay for my train ticket! I could really do with a break so I bit the bullet. I found a reasonable hotel for £60 and will try and do free things whilst up there. Any recommendations appreciated.
    As well as not spending I'm trying to do good too, so I have offered to help with the Marie Curie daffodil campaign starting next month and also booked in to give blood for the first time ever.
    I hope everyone is keeping warm, I'm under my blanket and just had homemade soup and cheese scones.
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Just to say I was in timpsons earlier getting a couple of keys cut and I overheard one of the staff saying to a customer that their shoe heeling service is cheap because fewer people are having shoes heeled as folk are buying cheap shoes. I also got two keys cut for £9 which compared to some key cutting shops isn't bad.
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yesterday was a NSD and today a LSD (low spend day) as I have been home with a poorly child. My friend asked if I wanted any food shopping today so I asked for milk and fishfingers for kids' easy tea as I feel under the weather too. Another day without temptation to buy extras. I have been using up odds and ends for meals and packed lunches last few days so minimal spends. I have 2 £5 off £40 vouchers for Allthedays so will use these over the next few days and with what we have lurking in the house already I will see how long it lasts us. I haven't kept a spending diary for a long time so started that today too. It will be interesting to look at!

I find all those shoe repair, key cutting, watch battery chains expensive. I found an independent service for watch batteries and straps. The man operates from a little kiosk, is local, friendly and cheapest around - win x 3. Need to find a similar shoe repair place next. When I was a child we had a fantastic old fashioned cobbler and repairing shoes was a regular occurrence. Shame many shoes are made so cheaply. I need some new heels on some boots (not expensive ones) and think I might try the stick on ones you can do yourself. Anyone use them or are they a false economy?
  • CEW
    CEW Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    natnat13 wrote: »
    Afternoon all
    I have had a NSD today despite a massive chocolate craving. But that would involve me driving to a shop and spending money so it's not happening.
    I did something spontaneous yesterday, booked a break to London! My friend is going next Friday / Sat for work and said tag along, she'll pay for my train ticket! I could really do with a break so I bit the bullet. I found a reasonable hotel for £60 and will try and do free things whilst up there. Any recommendations appreciated.
    As well as not spending I'm trying to do good too, so I have offered to help with the Marie Curie daffodil campaign starting next month and also booked in to give blood for the first time ever.
    I hope everyone is keeping warm, I'm under my blanket and just had homemade soup and cheese scones.

There are a number of free attractions that you can visit. It really just depends on your particular likes and interests. Most of the museums are free entry. In addition to this the Tate Gallery is worth a visit if you like looking at art. Again free entry but there are sometimes particular exhibitions that you have to pay for. There are a number of other art galleries that are. Free entry too.

If you like walking in parks Regent's Park is a lovely place and you will usually see lots of squirrels who are so tame you can hand feed them monkey nuts.

Harrods for window shopping, if this appeals. I hate shopping but love just wandering around the place. Other shops to visit just for the experience are Selfridges, Hamleys and Liberty's all in either Oxford Street or Regent Street.

Another thing I like to do is just jump on a bus and then get off when I see something or somewhere I like the look of. If you buy a travel card you can just travel around all day seeing all the sights without paying the guided bus tour prices. As long as you know the name of the nearest tube station to your hotel you will always be able to find your way back.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Hope you have a lovely break.

Chez x
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH just texted to say shall he pick us something from the chippy on the way home from work as I'm poorly. Already have jackets in the oven to have with cheese and beans. Simple to do and saved us some money. Feeling pleased with myself.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Shopkeeper made me part with a tenner today for some birthdays cards and a few bits of '21st' rubbish for DS1 for tomorrows celebration.

I,m no fan of shopping anyway, but I found myself feeling quite wound-up by the robot shoppers all around me, especially 2 young mums with kids in buggies, randomly darting from shop front to shop front loudly exclaiming to each other about the sale offers.... Whilst causing chaos with other pedestrians with their buggies and bags, till one poor child was almost launched as their buggy went flying backwards due to weight of bags.:eek:

If what was in my head had come out of my mouth - I don,t know what would have happened:o
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family