PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    natnat13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've had a busy week which has been good, kept me occupied. Feeling a bit fed up today, my Ds's are at daddies until Sunday, I would usually go and buy a nice takeaway and pudding for my tea but my waistline or bank account don't need that, so I went in the co-op, got a bag of noodles for 29p, a jar of sweet and sour sauce for 20p then came home and did half of each with half a tin of tuna. Will have the rest tomorrow.Then made some custard with a banana for afters. And it took only minutes to make. Now if only someone would come and do my dishes!!

Bless ya - I was single parent for a long time and hated those weekends without my rugrats - give your self a bit of 'me time' - I used to have a lovely long bubble bath, as it was rare to have one without one of them banging on the door yelling 'I need a poo!' (Soz TMI) and don,t deprive yourself of a little something nice x

The soup I made earlier was lush - Ald! Sweet pots (super 6) a chunk of ginger, a little bit of chilli, half an onion, a clove of garlic, a bit of cumin and I added a lump of coconut cream as I had a bit sat in the cupboard - will deff make again, perfect for this type of weather, and I think its helped my cold, head feels clearer after :) Approx 7 large servings for less than a quid spent - bonus.......
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well,I just had to tell you.

Found myself in a shopping centre today looking for an anniversary card for friends 25th.Not a thing I buy but how I struggled to find one that wasnt for 3 year olds or 90 yearolds.

Went in a charity shop and bought 2 M&S long sleeved tee shirts as suggested and a linen peasant blouse for £3

What I am most excited about is the unopened 14 book box set of Morse books for £4.99 Price on the bottom is £99.98 Well I doubt anyone paid that for them but I will put them away for sons birthday in April.

I bought a £2.99 plant from home bargains because i think I have decluttered so much that the house is bland now.

I will make an overpayment on the mortgage next week,haven't worked it out yet but it could be as much as £1000.When we move the less we have to pay back the better.If I can I would like to buy the next house for cash.

Laters Vx
     :
  • aliwali
    aliwali Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the Amazon trade in tip. I've just packed my box with 30 books worth £68.84 in trade in. With the extra £5 I will have £73.84. I need a bread bin and have had it in my basket for weeks so I shall spend over £10 as soon as the voucher comes through. The rest will be for presents over the coming year. I'm beyond thrilled with this total, so thank you.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sairy2010 wrote: »
    Whilst in town we made an appointment with Santander to open one of their 123 accounts. I think it's the right move for us, does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad??

I have had one of these accounts for over a year now, and find it very good. I use it more or less as a savings account, as you suggest. You do need to have money going in there regularly (my work pension gets paid into it) and set up some direct debits. You get a small percentage of cashback on these (ie regular bills like council tax, utilities etc that you have to pay anyway), and with the interest, it adds up to a nice little bonus.
  • Liliyanna
    Liliyanna Posts: 109 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Now I recall reading the details about this book trade in but wouldn't know where to find them at the pace this boat moves. Can anyone give me a brief run down of the whys and wherefores?

Thanks

Lily x x
    LBM = Jan 1st 2013 - £42,000 owed DFD = Christmas Eve 2014 :D:D
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Not the best day spendwise, I needed a quick lunch on the go, so grabbed a sandwich, apple and chocolate bar and then got a muffin on the way back home. So that means I spent almost half as much for that as I did for yesterdays main groceries round.
    But am still very well in the budget.

I just thought about the independand shops. In some ways it is right that we should support the local, small shops.
    But then.... I do know quite some shops that deliver such a bad service that I don't want to give them my money. We used to have a really good small shop in our village selling dairy, sweets, wine and homemade jam. It was a treat to shop in there, very friendly, good quality, fair prices. Then the owners retired and standarts slipped quickly and nobody was too sad when the new owner packed his bag after only a year or two.
    In the village where my Dad grew up it is still normal that you do your groceries round in the SM and then go to the bakery to get bread and to the butcher for meat. My parents make sure that they visit Granny on Saturday so they could go to the butcher. These shops are really good, so they don't have to fear the SM.

I used to be a b00ts girl but moved on to Svperdrvg as their own brands are cruelty free. But still think that nothing beats b00ts own brand make up remover...

Busymom how can anyone lose the shopping list beween getting out of the car and into the shop?
    But I guess that is the cliche about men and shopping...

natnat enjoy some time for yourself!

have a nice evening everyone! I'll now just hang up my laundry, do a quick tidying tour around the kitchen and then off to bed. Am exhausted.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    Hurrah! Managed 3 NSDs this week... Friday would usually have me getting a sandwich from the butty shop or something similar for lunch then to the SM for something for tea whilst OH is out. Not today! Took lunch with me, then put a spud in the oven and had a lovely jacket with cheesy beans and salad, something I rarely get to do as OH doesn't eat them.

Whilst the oven was on I made my second batch of cereal bars, sprayed oil on the tin and it didn't stick :j I did add some chocolate chunks so it might taste a bit odd but I'm making a good dent in the baking stash.

I agree with the shipmate who said the Not Buying It way of life thinking is like a life diet. I have been thinking this myself and have been trying to match my mindful spending with mindful eating. The latter a bit more of a work in progress at the moment!

I hit a stumbling block with the Amazon trade in as quite a few books I have that can be moved on are not the same Isbn number as often site so I don't think they will accept them :( However I am waiting for OH to clear his old mobile so I can trade it in, it's only worth pence but it bumps the amount of old phones up to 5 (!) and the site I've been looking at offers free courier collection for 5 phones or more instead of paying for delivery to them.

I'm thinking of 'de-cluttering' some bits on facebook selling sites. I have my proper account and a 'spare' for freebies. Which one pound be best to use do you think? My main one pound be easier but I'm paranoid about people coming to the house and linking my profile and address etc. OTOH would it be weird to sell from an account that doesn't have my real name or any friends? My privacy settings are pretty robust on my main account anyway, oh I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too much as usual!

I'm also thinking of shifting my main account to First Direct to take advantage of their sign up bonus. my existing card expires in March anyway so wouldn't lose too much inconvenience, but I'm concerned about their online banking and apps as I use those all the time at the moment but the have pretty bad reviews. Does anyone have any experience?
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will do, my brothers just invited me round tomorrow. I have some work to do as well. I don't mind being by myself, every other week its for 4 days though which is too long but I can keep busy. Looking forward to my waitrose delivery on Sunday!
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • I_want_a_baby
    Options
    Penguin of death - we have just switched my husbands current account to first direct. Seems to be going ok so far. It seems an easy way to gain £125 towards my emergency savings plus access to the 6% regular saver :-)
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PenguinofDeath when I sell on fb I usually arrange to meet people in town when I'm going in so no one comes to my house
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport