PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Heatwaves are very rare and transitory happenings in the UK BUT winters never let us down do they, a girl can NEVER have too much wood!!!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We were offered someone's wood pile a couple of weeks ago, took us 5 trips to collect it all (and we've got a big car!) a lot still needs cutting (rafters and joists, old floorboards) and we've got lots of painted stuff we can burn in the fire pit in the garden in the evenings. We've easily saved £60/70 on logs and still have plenty of coal left from last years big order. I got a new gas bottle for our calor gas stove too so we will be toasty warm!

I need to get collecting pine cones, I've seen lots about in the last week or so. Must remember to pop a bag in my pocket when I go for a walk.

We had the gutters cleaned a few weeks ago but now have a joint issue on one of them, think it got knocked slightly in cleaning, will venture up the ladder to pop it back together (hopefully).

Longing for the evenings to start drawing in, I'm so not a summer person.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very true a girl never c:jan have to many cones or to much wood.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    In my own home for this winter (moved in back in March) so looking forward to starting winter prep for the house!

I've got 4 days off in July and a week off in August so I'll use those to stock up the freezer. When I batch cook it normally all gets eaten up in the following month, so I might dedicate the bottom drawer of the freezer to "winter" stock and then split the batches between that drawer and the rest of the freezer. I doubt we'll get snowed in, but I like having a good stock of pasta sauces for a nice hot dinner! I'll also sink a pint of milk, just in case.

I have a much longer commute now so I must remember to make a box for the boot of the car with my wellies, a torch, some woollies (including thick socks) and some snack bars or similar. I might also leave a little bag with clean clothes at my parents place, they live closer to my work place so if it snows while I'm at work it might be safer to get to theirs, but I'll need some stuff saved there!

We don't have a woodburner, or a fireplace, so it'll be making sure our doors have curtains over them, getting the gutters checked and repaired, and I could really do with some new winter clothes too. I live in my hoodie in the winter and I'd rather have a nice jumper, but without the high wool content as it makes me itchy DX We have one blanket (which OH bought me two Christmases ago, before we were living together) so I might keep an eye out for a few more to go on the sofa, we have handmade quilts from our mothers for our bed (patchwork from my Mum, crocheted from MIL).
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Every year I plan to make a winter car box. I live in a town and don't travel far but if I did get stuck we would still get cold quickly.

Next week I'm going to get it sorted then it will be ready.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've been sorting out all my wool today, sat on the couch with the cat *helping*. It helps that it's windy, grey and cool outside :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha my youngest is afflicted by 'it's chilly and dark I can't wait for the cosiness of winter' mind set like us too. It makes us unpopular sometimes huh?!
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    It helps that it's windy, grey and cool outside :)

What? The cat?

:p
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Noooo.... the cat is hot, hairy and dribbles!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a girl can NEVER have too much wood!!!

:o:rotfl:

Sorry.... Probably just my mind....

Need to stock up our spare freezer in the shed and make proper use of the contents of the one in the kitchen. I cook better in the autumn and winter, Summer I just want simple salad stuff etc.

At least having done a mix of purees and baby led weaning, DS at not quite 10 months usually just eats what we do. The few jars and pouches of baby food are back-ups. (He had spinach and prawn tagliatelle with us the other night :D ) so normal dinners cover him as well (sometimes literally, but that's to be expected ;) )
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family