PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Qualifies the statement 'stacked up in the outside wood store in preparedness for winter fires in the beloved multi fuel stove!'

I spent some of yesterday morning when I woke up at silly o' clock making purees for the littlest grandson who is coming with his mum and big brother to visit for the week from tomorrow, at almost 6 months he is already having 3 puree meals a day and loving them. In the freezer (frozen in amazing silicone ice cube trays that turn inside out to get the blocks out) are a batch of carrot, parsnip and sweet potato puree, a batch of strawberry, blackberry and plum puree and a batch of raspberry, blueberry and apple puree which with Greek yoghurt and mashed banana will see him through the week. DD also has the odd pouch for extraordinary circumstances so I've got in a couple just in case.
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Washed our winter fleeces today as a nice windy day and should't take long to dry.
    Will sort out extra warm winter bedding for our dogs. We have a cat who sleeps all year round in the greenhouse so will add to her winter blankets when i go to local charity shop.
    Also need to buy a calor gas bottle as extra heating for the cat when it's cold weather, our moggy has the best marrigold greenhouse there is.
    Just to add to the expense we have 4 other cats who stay in at night during winter nights and 2 dogs. We will always be poor but love all my babies.:):):)
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is always my favourite thread! Will have our first winter in the new house (we moved in march but it's been very mild) so will have to see what needs doing soon, it's a bigger house but not as open plan or as high ceilings in the other house so that should help.
    Living the simple life
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Enjoy Lyn. :) I remember the puree days fondly. I suppose, having babies was the very first 'prep' I encountered on and I wonder if I've got my love of it from those warm, fuzzy, nurturing times.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Later on this week if the weather is dry and fine or when it is in the future I shall empty the blanket chest and put all the winter fleeces and blankets as well as the washable fleece jackets and washable coats through the machine to make them ready for when we get the cooler weather in the autumn. It seems daft not to use the better drying weather to make preparation for the winter doesn't it?
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Have shortened a pair of very heavy curtains ready for the winter.
    They were passed on to me and not a mark on them.
    I intend to stock up the freezer from next week. We have 2 so the plan is to stock one for Christmas and one for now.
    Planing on making a few meals for the freezer as having knee op Aug-Sept time and will be on sticks for a few weeks.
    Plan on using the time well with knitting and will make some draft things for for the doors for cold weather.:):):)
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm glad this thread's up and running already, glad to be 'one of you'!! :D

Our building work has ensured that we are snug for this winter (along with a wood stove, too, fuddle and MrsL, so I'm another wood-a-holic!!). We're having new windows and doors in the rest of the house soon, so we'll be much more snug this winter. Hasn't stopped me washing every blanket in sight during the nice weather, though.

I've got a lot of blackberries and rasps in the freezer from last year, so going to make jam to free up space for this year's crop and for batch cooking from September. Our garden is wrecked from the builders, so I'm going to plan how/when/where to grow edibles during the next few weeks. I'd love an allotment but they're in great demand here, list is years long for some sites, so might join forces with a friend on the list. She has 3 small children and a hubby who works funny shifts, so if/when she gets one it will be easier for both of us to join forces, even if it's a small plot.

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Being in a very small rented flat, we can't do things like woodpiles!

But I'm just starting to work out the pattern for new fingerless-mittens and hat in gorgeous lovely colours, with cream background. They will keep me cosy - my last mitts have gradually got just that tiny bit too tight over the years, even with careful washing-by-hand only! And some kind soul gave me the most gorgeous set of yarns, shading from red to yellow through all the sunrise colours, and I think they'll warm me up just to look at them in winter!

I have to start now as I'm nowhere near halfway through the Christmas present making... :o
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Later on this week if the weather is dry and fine or when it is in the future I shall empty the blanket chest and put all the winter fleeces and blankets as well as the washable fleece jackets and washable coats through the machine to make them ready for when we get the cooler weather in the autumn. It seems daft not to use the better drying weather to make preparation for the winter doesn't it?

I wash all the coats in n1kwax to waterproof them, and DS1's motorbike trousers. So need good drying weather to do them, as I can only get a couple of items washed at a time, and need to be caught up enough on the other washing.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,157 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've washed our 3 winter coats (out on the line) and I know we need to replenish the hat and glove bag.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback