PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Coffeebean_3
    Options
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Coffeebean wrote: »
    lucy We are considering the same thing. Just got our smart meter so am hoping to compare the difference of keeping our heating on low then upping it when we need it compared to having it on for a 5 hours in the evening but waking to Arctic conditions in the morning.
    We are hoping to have a little one this year so really want to get heating sorted before it arrives (only moved in recently so still getting to grips with new boiler etc)

Our hallway has no radiator and it is FREEZING in there and up to the landing. Do you think a door curtain will help? We have a decent pvc door so I'm surprised how bad it is. Or is it worth getting a small oil filled radiator?
    Tia! X

Our hall has a decent radiator, which helps but the downstairs is open so the child gates fit and so the dog can see us in the lounge from the kitchen and doesn't think she's been shut out. Also our bathroom is downstairs off the kitchen so we go through both doorways during the night etc. Inc DsS who is ten and we're lucky if he remembers to flush the loo in the night so not sure how he'd cope with curtains as well as they'd also block the light from the bathroom.

That's just our house though. Might work elsewhere xxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to say how grateful I am that I had followed many of the hints and tips found on this thread when we had visitors last week.
    Within a couple of days of arrival one of them succumbed to an awful bout of flu' ( I notice this happening quite a lot these days, especially when people have travelled by air) They retired to bed for 3 days, followed by OH and eventually myself for most of one day. Boy, was I glad that I had stocked up on flu remedies, paracetamol, fleeces, water bottles etc. Being poorly myself, I was also glad that I had a freezer stock of ready meals, soups etc as the last thing I wanted to do was prepare meals but had another, healthy, guest to think of!
    I always thought that I was overdoing it a bit with the prep but it just shows that you never can tell.
    Unfortunately, by the time they were starting to recover we had to take them back to the airport so didn't get to do much sightseeing or eating out so I suppose that was a bit moneysaving;) but such a shame. I've told them to come back in the summer when maybe we can be better hosts!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hmmm... Looks like I finished this thread with my last post, sorry, was it something I said? ;)
    I know that it's far too soon to be thinking about next winter but I just thought this morning that this lovely weather we're having at the moment is an ideal time to be washing and drying those 'heavy things' like pillows, quilts, rugs etc.
    I'll close the door quietly as I tiptoe my way out.... Make the most of this sunshine everyone :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im glad im not the only one. I was planning on washing my heavy curtains tonight. I plan to be organised by this winter.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I've got winter clothes for DS for the next two years out of charity shops lol. He's nine months and we're about to start trying for our second baby so I wanted his stuff sorted for a while ahead so further funds can go on no.2 if it's a girl etc and it's less to worry about xx.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Coo, that's excellent planning - good luck with the "new project"!

I'm not doing winter-preparation yet but it is in my mind, so it isn't just you three :)

A friend gave me some beautiful damson-jam coloured fine wool fabric she had bought to make a dress over 20 years ago and never cut out; she doesn't even have a sewing machine these days so has passed it on to me, complete with thread and lining fabric and buttons! So I'm planning a really nice, comfortable and warm wool skirt to keep me cosy. There's also a cardigan very slowly on its way!

We're on the last of the homemade preserves now, so in a few weeks' time I shall clear out the bit of shelving in the box-room that we call "the Larder" and sort out the good jam-jars and get things ready for August/Sept and filling up the Larder once again.

And I am also planning, in a fortnight after some appts, etc., are out of the way, to start systematically washing all our woollens. Being in a flat, we don't have anywhere to line-dry them, so I'll have to do them in very small batches and just hang 3 or 4 at a time from the window-rail to dry, on big wooden hangers that help them keep their shape. Socks I dry in the airing cupboard, draped artistically around the boiler! Then I'll check those over for darning.

It's a good feeling - in only a few days' time, the nights will start drawing in, hurrah!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eenymeeny -The winter thread usually tails off in spring! Nothing you said :rotfl:

I'm getting our coal and logs stock in soon to get the summer prices :)
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made a load of jam out of seasonal fruit that will see us through until spring,
    Making a quilt for our double bed for the winter, made one every year for the last three years. Just pile them on as weather gets colder.
    We live in a rural area, so usually start to stock pile a few bits that will keep us going should we have a bad winter. Long life soya milk, loo rolls and bread flour are top of the list.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Ah y'all great minds think alike. I've just washed the brush from staining the wood store and thought to sit down to find the winter prep thread but you beat me to it. :D

So yes the freebie scavenged/accumulated over months/someone's old fence (except for the feathered edge for the roof as we had to buy that) is complete and stained ready for the weather to hit it.

All wood work in the yard has been stained and is weatherproof.

The wood store is half full with MIL's overhanging branch cuttings but is not yet seasoned. There's more to come but I will have to pile that under tarpaulin (as can't bare to not accept wood) when it arrives because I need seasoned, usable wood at the top.

I have made a start on back up/very cold days supply of coal and will continue in the coming months.

My plan is to get the stock and keep it topped up by using then immediately replacing because the stock is for peace of mind should we hit on difficult/hard times.

My food stocks are low as I've been shopping daily and carrying/transporting in my trolley but I have come to the decision to make on online grocery order next week to get back ahead of the game in time for winter.

I've been crocheting squares to stitch into a dressing gown to donate to Knit for Peace. They give the finished pieces to folk who find themselves in fuel poverty. Keep Britain Warm if you're interested in helping with the project.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback