PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• I've dug the heavy woollen blankets out of the blanket chest and put them on the bed as it's forecast to become very cold tonight even in the south. Currently very grateful for the woodstove which is making the lounge and our bedroom above it nicely warm but the study where I'm typing is ARCTIC!!!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My heating kicked in at 3.30am today Lyn. I've got the fire going with coal on it so I'm hoping that will provide some residual heat overnight. I may also look out a heavier blanket. And more hot water bottles. And bed socks. Although the heating will kick in - i've still got (at least if the watchman is behaving) plenty of oil.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Minus 7 up here this morning, the RV says it's a wee bit nippy ootside :D Glad I got some extra Aldi digestives, the birds are going to need them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am going to own up to something now, feel like whispering but having been a fan of the prepping thread for many years, accumulating was in my genes and I never realised how much I had actually accumulated. Candles, the dinner candles, 22 cm tall, I have over 70 :eek:. There now it is out :oand I dare not count the pillar candles. I am on a serious mission to use the dinner candles and can do, now that I have a safe method. They did keep the temperature nice last evening, a constant 21. It went down to 19 overnight when I was in bed, stove on now as I need to keep the tank hot and house fabric warm but will repeat the candle warming every evening. It will take the whole winter to get my stocks down to an acceptable level
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    -7 on a generic not-so-out-of-the-ordinary day Mar? I'll keep my hill thank you! Be snug.

70 kittie? I'm not the least bit shocked. I have 3 and they were a gift from Lyn otherwise I'd have non! I am a tealight fiend though but soon moving on over to piller candles.

Can I ask about radiator foil? Is there a need to put them behind radiators that are on internal walls? I'm trying to draw up a winter prep list for my new house.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Interesting to read other peoples plans to 'beef up' the cosiness in our homes as Christmas decorations are removed, I always feel that more candles, lanterns and blankets are required to counteract the 'hole' that's left. I suppose that's what the Scandinavians call hygge. I'd appreciate any ideas that others use in their homes. I bought a couple of red throws on sale in Wilkinsons yesterday. I always think that red adds warmth and texture is very important to me, especially at this time of year. I'm also going to use the various rechargeable 'Christmas lights' to add a bit of light and sparkle to dark areas. I regretted packing them away in the loft last year. 'Lights aren't just for Christmas' ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • richj
    richj Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    anyone recommend a good screen wash?
    -2 here this morning , sprayed the screen as it was a little icy and the screen wash froze over the whole screen, worse than when i started...
  • If you can get into Costco, their screen wash is excellent.
  • richj
    richj Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you can get into Costco, their screen wash is excellent.

hadn't thought of there, will have a look thanks
  • Just checked mine and it works at -23 apparently :D .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback