3.6K replies 710.1K views

Replies

• smeethsmeeth Forumite
    577 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    mardatha wrote: »
    :eek:There is no way in hell I'd ever let a company hang on to £700 of mine

every time I try to build up a bit of credit with our energy provider they keep refunding it back.. I don't charge them interest, honest! :huh:
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • babybloozbabyblooz Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Ember J if you can sew, then google 'window quilts'. They are used in very exposed cold houses to keep the heat in. It might help your situation.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    extremely cold again this morning, another -5 (sw) and the frost layer has built up as much of it didn`t disappear yeasterday. Am very glad I emptied all the water butts. I don`t have outside taps but they would be well insulated by now. Am keeping house fabric temperature up as it can take days to warm a house up. It is like bleak mid winter today, fog too, so very dangerous driving
  • Morning all, hope you are all staying toasty... nice frost here this morning in St Ives Cornwall...Thankfully I am getting a lift to work so no windscreen scraping for me today :j Took a flask of broccoli and Stilton soup to work with me yesterday which helped to warm the cockles, same again today as its really nippy.... Chickens will get some warm porridge this morning which they love, hate to think they are freezing out there overnight, but they do huddle on the roosting bar and thankfully they are now through their annual moult so back to feathery fluffs.... On that note I'm off to refil my cup Brrrrrr......
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • Out,_Vile_JellyOut,_Vile_Jelly Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmberJ wrote: »
    Hoping for a little advice. My partner lives in a small cottage in Lancashire, with a wood stove as our main heating. I'll be moving I'm shortly due to expecting child but its incredibly cold and draughty to me. I'm sat on the sofa right now in a tee, jumper and jeans

EmberJ, others have given good practical advice on the house, but what jumped out at me was that you're wearing jeans. Denim jeans are just not that warm. Cords (a charity shop staple) with tights under them will retain your body heat much better. I've also picked up some good label 100% wool jumpers in charity shops; they are significantly warmer than generic synthetic tops. Also invest in a long-sleeved thermal vest and leggings; you will wonder how you managed without them.

The village doctor where I grew up refused to have central heating installed upstairs in his house; he insisted that overheated bedrooms were unhealthy and that it was better for infants to be well wrapped up, but breathing cool fresh air.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi EmberJ, congrats on LittleEmber-to-be!

I second the jeans-do-not-retain-heat comment. I'd suggest not to wear any clothes from manmade fabric. Viscose etc makes me sweaty and does not retain heat. Go for wool, and wear a pure cotton T-shirt underneath, and a thermal vest.

What kind of footwear do you wear around the house? Thick socks will probably not be enough; I like to wear 'ankle slippers' (g00gl) made with a real leather sole or completely in leather.

If you have window sills, you can add 'window insulation plastic'. If you put it on carefully according to the instructions, you will not notice it at all, and it does insulate very well. A1di has them on special once a year; we paid €5 (GBP 4) with enough plastic to do 3 average windows. Your local DIY store will probably also stock them.
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 124,28 = £ 61.09
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmberJ, congrat's on little ember, and depending on where you are in the shire,ask your OH, to keep an eye out for kitchen/bathroom fitting places, one that is 3 village over from me has a notice outside the gate saying come take any wood for free.

On another note, it's starting to look like their's enough of us to do a Derbyshire meet up, but that is for a diffrent thread.
    Grocery Challenge
    July £350/ £45.03
    2020 club
  • EmberJEmberJ Forumite
    33 posts
    Not sure how to do the quote thingy, so this is kind of a reply to the past couple of posters with advice for me. A lot of my jumpers are hand made with alpaca, or wool, and other animal fibres. I do have a lot of shop bought acryclic jumpers and some hand made acrylic cardigans but tend to keep them for autumn or spring when I'm a little chilly but not cold.
    With jeans etc I'm currely just wearing what fits, I had an op earlier this year that caused me to lose just over two stone in a month of hospital stay, then I've quite suddenly put on weight again thanks to surprise sprog heh. I usually actually stick to thick tights/leggings layered up under wool skirts, but I need to sew more skirts to adjust to my stoma bag, and growing weight. I do find layering under wool skirts keeps me warm, and makes me feel like Im still wearing things i like the look of, the style of. Potentially circle skirts to sit on my waist above the bump so I can use them after pregnancy and throughout too?
    That is another point I suppose, my mind seems to keep flitting.
    I dislike wearing shoes, and wouldn't wear them outside if I didnt have too, pretty much the same with socks but I have some very fluffy cosy koala plushie slippers I was given for Xmas a few years ago. We've had more wood delivered - my OHs dad dropped a load of unexpectedly - probably under orders from OHs mum after we told them we were expecting.

I've crocheted some hats for both of us, but am currently sticki with my snuggly penguin knitted one (not crazy on animals, honest)

Boultdj I don't live in Derbyshire anymore but would be willing to travel back for a meet up! Derbyshire will always hold a place in my heart now. I do love Lancashire too, but its too cold!

After chatting to my partner he's considering getting a mix of coal, wood and peat in for varying heat purposes, as we do have a multi fuel stove, he'd just gotten used to wood and charcoal growing up.
    His mum is going to knit some wooly jumpers etc for sprog, while I crochet blankets, and we're going to stick our oddments of yarn together to dip into for making more blankets, us sized, and varying stripey or not stripey depending on the size of left overs, layette - y type things for sprog. She's also asked if I mind her making me a quilt for on the sofa so she can be sure I'm staying warm while I grow sprog, and for when sprog is born. I honestly felt like crying. She popped round with some of her extra wool jumpers and thermal leggings yesterday for me to borrow until I go back home for a while on monday along with some lovely chocolate muffins and some fresh bread.
    She's also looking through her cupboards and sorting out some kitchen/baking equipment as I left most of mine with ex housemates when I moved back into family. I'm feeling much more supported and happy knowing I can ask her any questions without judgement.
    She's also d we can have their very old but still functioning dryer as we want to use cloth nappies, and its difficult to get anything to dry here - her reason being that it only gets used for my OHs bedding during winter now because they don't have anyone but them to wash for.

On another note, and to end my long post again, has anyone experience on using pans on top of a wood stove for stews or soups? Does it work? Any tips? I'd love to give it a try to use the stove for two purposes rather than turning the hob on, until I get my slowcooker out of my mums loft.

Thank you all ladies, you all helped me feel much calmer and more like I'm prepared in thoughts and plans at least.
    Em xx
  • ShropshirelassShropshirelass Forumite
    379 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Hi Em and best wishes with expected little one. The warmest skirt i have ever had is a woollen kilt, adjustable waist too! With thick tights it keeps me toasty. I also favour woollen gilet/waistcoat, knits up quickly in a thick wool, and you can put pockets in for usefulness.

Woolly insoles for your shoes are really cheap from pound stores too. Thermal vest, you only need one to wear and one to wash, as they won't be seen. Polo neck and jumper, three or four layers will keep you toasty.

OH doesn't feel the cold, and usually complains by March that he's forgotten what shape I am.
  • EmberJEmberJ Forumite
    33 posts
    I've a few simple straight/very gentle a line skirts I've made from wool coat type material over the years, though the idea of a wrap around skirt or kilt type thing does sound wonderful. Time to pull my stash of fabric out!
    I have a fair few crocheted jumpers etc, as I can't knit too well, and I find they keep me toasty. I do need to invest in a new winter coat for when I'm up here as when I'm in Wolverhampton a few hoodies or a spring type coat is often warm enough. I have a lot of pure cotton vest top/short sleeved tops and strappy/shortsleeved full slip/chemise type things from when I used to wear corsets a lot, would they be suitable for a bottom layer?
    I am really quite tempted to go back to wearing the Victorian style stuff just minus a corset as all the petticoats and layers kept me very toasty.

I've got some lovely knitted wool socks I was gifted a while a go so will hunt those out, and swap into warmer shoes. I tend to wear a lot of ballet flat type shoes, but do have quite a few pairs of converse and trainers and some varying length boots.

My OH doesn't seem to feel the cold either, though he does understand I'm not as used to it as he is, and does make effort to keep me warm too.