Christmas Menus.

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Optimist
    Options
    We are going to be in the Canaries over Christmas this year so no Christmas Dinner for us - not sure how it will be to be honest as have never been away for Christmas, but my FIL was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year so he really wanted to take all his family away for some Winter Sun, and it fits in with kids school holidays.
  • Joanygq
    Joanygq Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    This is my first Christmas day in my own home and I'll be cooking for 6. I'm rather terrified but planning to do most of it the day before.

Everyone keeps asking what to bring too so I really should take advantage of the dessert offers.

Any tips for a scared first timer?
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    I would absolutely accept offers to bring food.

Maybe get someone to bring desert & another to bring cheese & crackers.

The way we do it is whoever has the biggest oven cooks the turkey, so always mum as she has a range. Then between the others we bring Me: Gammon & Stuffing balls. Sister: Deserts & puddings. Aunt: Trimmings & stuffing (we all love stuffing, mum also stuffs the bird, no one wants to run out ever!) and then whoever is hosting also does the veg.

It spreads the work load & cost & also let everyone feel like they contributed to the meal.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    Joanygq wrote: »

Don't panic.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    This is my first Christmas day in my own home and I'll be cooking for 6. I'm rather terrified but planning to do most of it the day before.

Everyone keeps asking what to bring too so I really should take advantage of the dessert offers.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5118033

This thread has loads of tips.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

Definitely take up offers to bring something, and just plan and be organised.
    Write down everything that needs doing, and how soon beforehand it can be done, then put it in to a schedule for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Allow plenty of time to do stuff, so you don't get stressed and behind schedule, and most importantly schedule in cups of tea and a sit down.
    Zebras rock
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Week and a half to go for us!

It's a bit of a team effort. Mum deals with anything meat-based, plus sprouts, gravies and sauces and xmas pudding. I do the veggie alternative, roast spuds, roast parsnips, proper cauli cheese, carrots, broccoli, peas, 2-3 puddings (from scratch), xmas cake. My dad and daughter (4) are in charge of homemade mince pies.

We get together at about 2pm and will have the lightest brekkie possible and perhaps a mince pie with a cuppa at around noon. No starters - waste of tummy space. Main course at 4pm ish. Pudding at 8pm ish.

Bliss.

Xmas day I'll take advantage of DH not working and make paella.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We will be having the following -

Xmas Eve
    Depends on what time I finish work. Either takeaway or HM Chinese buffet.

Xmas Day
    DH always wants a cooked breakfast, this is what he had growing up. I might have toast. DS will be on his usual Weetabix,.

Dinner will be some sort of seafood starter, followed by turkey and gammon, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, braised red cabbage and cauliflower with lashings of gravy

There will be a selection of dessert/puds as only DH eats Xmas Pud, but this is usually about 3 hours later.

If anyone is hungry in the evening there will be plenty of bread, crackers, cold meats, cheeses, pate and HM pickles/chutneys.

And of course - chocolates
  • Joanygq
    Joanygq Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    Don't panic.
    :rotfl:Thanks

and thank you too CH27 for the link and everyone else for the advice.

I'm sure it'll be all ok. well was until I came in here and saw people planning nice breakfasts and suppers too....I thought I only had to organise dinner :eek::rotfl:
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    Christmas Eve afternoon - mince pies and nibbles
    Christmas Eve supper - some sort of takeaway
    Christmas Day breakfast - porridge or bagels/crumpets
    Christmas Day lunch - no starter. Turkey, ham, bacon rolls, sausagemeat balls, ready made pigs in blankets for DS2, chestnut stuffing, sage and onion stuffing, roast potatoes, maple glazed parsnips, carrots, sprouts, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy.
    Dessert is usually a homemade cheesecake or mousse and brandy snaps, last year it was a ginger and orange ice cream bombe.
    Christmas day supper - turkey sandwiches, pickles, crisps
    Boxing day - usually a turkey and ham pie using up a lot of the leftovers or a soup made of the leftover veg and turkey gravy (blitzed up) and crusty bread.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business