Christmas Menus.

Options
I remember there was a similar thread last year, where everyone posted what they were going to be cooking over Christmas.
So I thought I'd ask this year.

For the first time in 15 years, I wont be doing the main Christmas dinner, I am going to my Mums and she is doing it (I will be helping though).

I am cooking Chilli, Loaded Potato skins and a few other bits and bobs on Christmas Eve though.

What are you all having?

Comments

• betterlife
    Options
    for us Christmas eve is usually mash potato, gammon ham, salad and pickles, but i like some other peoples traditions of chippy supper so may do this, christmas breakfast i normally open tin of biscuits as kids will eat sweets from stocking, lunch will be roast beef, chic or turkey and belly pork, roast pots and yorkie puds, carrots, mashed swede, sprout, peas, runners, parsnip, broc and poss cauli cheese, stuffing balls maybe pigs in blankets, beef gravy. i will cook beef in slow cooker day before, and poss pork, and even some of veg (have 4 kids so try to cook some in advance and may even freeze) tea will be cheese, crackers pickles, boxing day bubble and squeak and cold meats.
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    Im doing leek and potato soup, then smoked salmon mousse/prawn salady thing, then beef and turkey with roasties in goose fat, sprouts, carrots, asparagus, peas, parsnips, red cabbage,pigs in blankets, stuffing, cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce, apple sauce gravy. Then trio of desserts xmas pudding in rum sauce, trifle or black forest gateau and cream. Coffee.

Breakfast maybe croissants or bagels with cream cheese etc. I could never eat a fry up on christmas day, i'd never eat my dinner!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Its seems to be a family tradition for xmas eve, take DD to the cinema, meet parents for lunch at pub, take some flowers and wreath to the crem, then DD and me go to out local Mr A, home - tea usually a sandwich, then supper is a pizza delievery...

Xmas Day
    breakfast - usually bacon sandwich, or crossants, danish pastries, bucks fizz
    Xmas Day
    starters - baked camberet / soup / melon in port
    main- turkey, beef, roasties, yorkie, pigs in blanket, stuffing balls - upgraded to have chopped apricots, carrots cooked in white wine and orange juice, other veg, gravy (me no gravy add on couple pickled onions0
    Pud - xmas pud with brandy sauce

Tea
    Ham salad, pork pie,
    Boozy trifle

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • fatblackandwhite
    Options
    Very traditional this year. Breakfast will be bacon butties, croissants, pain au chocolate. Dinner will be turkey, ham, roast potatoes, mash, veg, pigs in blankets, stuffing, yorkshire puds. Pudding will be -Christmas pudding for the adults and some chocolate pudding/mousse for the little uns.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    I have morrisons £25 voucher from the Christmas saver that I plan to buy Christmas eve & Boxing day dinner with.

We will have a salmon side, salad & mini desserts for Christmas eve, we have a large dinner on Christmas day so don't want to overload the night before, on the day mum does the whole turkey & trimmings, I bring a gammon & home made stuffing, sister brings deserts, so a pretty large traditional meal.

Boxing day will be a 3 pork roast for just us 3, some cabbage, mash, peas & carrots, plus a choux pastry desert for pudding.

There are always pickles, olives, antipasti etc in my fridge over Christmas for snacks, we don't really do a breakfast as such, just normal whatever but we have food we wouldn't normally spend on in the fridge.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • Poddly
    Poddly Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad is treating us all to Christmas Dinner in a restaurant so I shall cook our turkey and all the trimmings on Christmas Eve. Will probably do a proper breakfast on the big day, maybe bacon rolls, croissants as we will have time, don't usually bother if I'm cooking!
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    I am on my own this year, and working from home but with no one to have to consider I will be having

Breakfast, glass champagne and bacon buttie

Dinner around 2 ish of rib beef, carrot swede mash sprouts parsnips and roast potatoes. Pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings.

I have bought a Christmas pud but it will probably stay in the cupboard.

Wash it all down with a few more glasses of bubbly.

I am going to the supermarket on Christmas eve, first time ever to see if I can get any bargains. But if not I will be having the above........ and leftovers for a good few days after :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Working Christmas Eve night so it will be a crisp sarnie and a bottle of red for supper lol

Christmas Day it's toast for brekkie and for dinner it will be turkey, gammon,roasties,stuffing, carrot and parsnip mash, red cabbage, peas and sprouts

We aren't dessert eaters usually but a mince pie and brandy cream usually hits the spot. Then coffee and mints whilst opening the pressies

To be honest although I love my Christmas dinner, I prefer the days after when it's bubble and squeak and ham egg and chips and turkey pie and soup
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    I go home to my parents' for Christmas, and the food usually goes like this:

Christmas Eve - veg peeled for the day and table laid, then pasta bake for tea, done by me while parents stuff and prepare turkey for roasting. Turkey goes in the heated oven when the pasta bake comes out.

Christmas Day - Breakfast - nowt much, likely just tea/coffee and biscuits if anything at all, due to impending massive dinner.

CD Dinner - mostly done by Mam with assistance from me and some help/getting-in-the-way from Dad. Prawn cocktail to start. Then turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puds, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, turnip, gravy, cranberry sauce. Christmas pud and rum sauce for afters, although we usually can't fit that in until an hour or two later. I think I've got it all there!

CD Tea - help yourself if you want it. Turkey-and-whatever sandwiches, cheese and biscuits, crisps, nuts, chocs, satsumas etc. Only I usually end up making sandwiches for everyone who wants one because I cave in first and go to make mine, then they whinge me to do one for them as well while I'm there!
  • Hezzawithkids
    Options
    FIL is staying over Xmas Eve & Day this year and more family during Xmas Day so the menu will be as follows:-

Xmas eve dinner: home-made lasagne, salad & garlic bread
    Xmas day breakfast: Smoked salmon & scrambled egg
    Xmas day lunch (actually late afternoon): turkey with all the trimmings, xmas pud & mince pies
    Xmas day dinner/supper: cold cuts, pickles, cheeses, nibbles, cake (if anyone is still hungry)
    Boxing day breakfast: croissants & pain au chocolate (from the ready-mixed packs just warmed up in the oven)
    Boxing day lunch: home made mushroom soup & home made bread
    Boxing day dinner: gammon, salad, new potatoes, plus continental meat platter, pickles, etc

Looking forward to it! :D
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure