Retro hamper for mum.... were any of you born in the 60s or 70s? Help :)

Options

Comments

• colleensims
    Options
    Thank You so much for all the replies.... i will spend today hunting some of these down!! There are some really good ideas!!!!
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    Red and white striped drinking straws! Watch out, there's a Humphrey about!
  • bravobeastie
    Options
    I have at least 1 maybe 2 Jackie comics from the late 70's you would be welcome to if you like? I collect retro/vintage items and had them in a job lot of Beano comics.

Inbox me if they're any use to you :)
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DH and I were talking a few days ago and sweets from the 70's and mentioned the tools shaped from chocolate - well, looking thru' a C'mas mag last night and saw Tesco has a set in a little box for only £1!!!

Also, just thought about a little crafting idea - pages from old annuals or comics collaged / pasted onto a lap tray or similar then sealed with PVA glue for a unique gift.
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    morwenna wrote: »
    Red and white striped drinking straws! Watch out, there's a Humphrey about!

i got some from ebay for 99p a pack - from Thailand or somewhere and also had fifferent colours too! I used them in my little glass milk bottles, similar to what we used to have in infant school for milkshakes at a recent party
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2014 at 3:53PM
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Were those pencil toppers to do with the Munch Bunch? I had some years ago.

I don't think so - we used to buy them from the newsagent and the box they sat in didn't have that written on it as far as I can remember - I think they were just generic toys. Did 'Munch Bunch' exist as a brand in the early 70s?

I think rubicks cube, Filofax and impulse were more 1980s things but I do remember having some Wade Whimsies in the 70s :D

Another thing that would be easy to make and very iconic of the 70s is a 'Gonk' - we used to make them out of upside down yoghurt pots.

All you need is some card, a pair of googly eyes, some small scraps of fun-fur and fabric (tartan was popular), a small button or two and some glue - very easy.

I think all the things on these shelves were called 'gonks' at one time or another but the one with the tartan hat on the top shelf is the classic 'Gonk' and the type we used to make. I can post instructions if you want :)
    8442339459_909c591069_m.jpg

You could even get posh wooden adult versions to use as proper ornaments :D
    5268c31e53d616f4ee2fa46937bd0cb5.jpg

There were also these when an American company made a branded version but these were more an 80s thing in Britain and were called 'Trolls' not 'Gonks'.
    Trolls+1.jpg

Boy, I'm on a massive nostalgia trip now!!!

Ooo! we also used to make keyrings out of crisp packets shrunk under the grill! :D
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Try charity shops for original annuals - Jackie and Fab 208 were the main ones.

Donny Osmond has a new album out this week called The Soundtrack of my |Life covering his last 50 years in the music biz- that might work. Having seen David Cassidy perform live fairly recently I'd probably stick to the memory of him in his heyday rather than get tickets for his tour.

How about a dancing flower ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evil_Olive wrote: »
    BROWN AND ORANGE EVERYTHING!
    Another popular mag was 'Fab 208' it had brilliantly 'of the time' fashion and pop spreads - might be able to find some of the mags or annuals on ebay.
    Pen Pal pages in the back of magazines - with everyone's full name and address details!!!

DRINKS
    Shandy Bass was a popular canned drink which I think you can still buy, and anyone remember 'Cydrax' :D
    Red Martini and lemonade, Cinzano, Cream Sherry, Advocaat, Mint cordial, Bitter lemon, Mateus Rose and Chianti if you can find one in a straw covered bottle.

TOYS
    You might be able to find small toys like Jacks,
    $_35.JPG
    yo-yo's or Fivestones if you look hard enough.
    V-STONE.jpg
    Hula hoops were a big craze, also Spacehoppers and 'Clackers' which you could make yourself - two hard plastic balls on a string.
    Kliklak_02.jpg
    Pencil Toppers shaped like fruit & veg with legs and faces
    7955215406_395c8c5f24.jpg

FOOD
    Angel Delight
    SPAM FRITTERS! - I got a novelty Spam recipe book as a gift a few years ago - they might still sell it.
    Duck a l'orange, peach melba, prawn cocktail, rum baba, moussaka, cheese & pineapple on sticks stuck in a foil covered half grapefruit, stuffed olives, vol au vents, Findus Crispy Pancakes, Alphabetti-Spagetti, tinned fruit cocktail with tinned sterilised cream

CLOTHES/ACCESSORIES
    Long multicoloured stripey socks and legwarmers.
    Large numbers of badges on everything - retro ones are quite easy to find.
    Zip up front crimplene jumpsuits with flares and big collars, tank tops,
    stripey elastic belts with snake shaped metal buckles,
    snake_belts_003.jpg
    big, fat, Moustaches and dodgy toupees, very thin gold belts and strappy gold sandals, clogs and platforms.

SWEETS
    Flakes, Curly Wurlys and Fry's Chocolate Turkish Delight, sherbert pips, space dust, sherbert fountains, swizzles

MUSIC
    Donny Osmond, Glam Rock, Bay City Rollers, Teenyboppers, Fan Clubs,
    Northern soul dancing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ygo4FbVluI
    Giant badges saying "I [heart] (insert popstar of choice) were very popular, as were scarves with popstars name on.

BEAUTY
    Perfumes - 'Tweed' and 'Charlie' - Tesco still sell Charlie for a fiver and it smells quite nice.
    Anne French cleansing milk http://www.boots.com/en/Anne-French-Deep-Cleansing-Milk-200ml_1225752/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Beauty
    Shaving your arms, as well as your legs!, Body/face Glitter
    long, very pointed, fingernails, blue and green eyeshadow, spikey lashes, skinny pencilled eyebrows, solid block mascara, lipgloss in roll-on containers, crimped hair, hair elastics with plastic balls on, circular tortoiseshell hair clips

KNICK-KNACKS
    Tacky souvenirs from Spain and Greece - flamenco dolls, donkeys with straw hats on, Spanish lace fans.
    Straw covered Chianti bottles made into table lamps
    mJYAag5lg869-I5M0p3PH1w.jpg
    12" vinyl records heated and formed into fruit bowls
    Look in Charity Shops, online, or make your own :)

TV
    You should be able to find DVDs ofsome of these:, The Partridge Family, Tomorrow People, Magpie, Charlies Angels, Some Mothers D 'Ave 'Em, Department S/Jason King, Man about the House, The Herbs, Magic Roundabout, The Hair Bear Bunch, Banana Splits, Dr Who, Blakes 7,

Plus, incredibly disturbing 'Public Information Films'
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmindex.htm
    I can particularly recommend 'Lonely Water', the 'Charleycat' series and the highly nasty 'Protect and Survive - casualties'
    Alas, the Green Cross Code one with Alvin Stardust isn't on this site but you can find it on Youtube :D

You have brought back many a good memory.

I used to love clackers and the fruit pencil toppers.

I also played marbles and two balls. ( you get 2 tennis balls throw them up against the wall and put the ball under your leg and catch it).

I also played with a tennis ball in the leg of my mother tights and tide it to keep it in place the it was tided around my leg and you swung it clockwise and jumped over it with the other leg.

Space hoppers and metal mickey roller skates.

The adverts where thing like:

Charlie said not to play with matches. (charlie was a car that screeched a noise and the little boy translated).

Loved those days.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    What super ideas - your mum will be over the moon.

Rupert annuals? The Avenger's TV - or the Persuaders or Saint.

(Clarryd - yes I did the two balls against the wall too and the ball swinging round your leg - though never did it your way - we did it with wooden skipping ropes and swung the handles round and round.)
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure