Retro hamper for mum.... were any of you born in the 60s or 70s? Help :)

Options

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    I was born in 1964 same as the OP's mum and think some of you must have been more advanced than me!

OP, doubt your mum was still into David Cassidy as a teen, he had his heyday in the early 70s. Disco and punk were the main influences when I became a teen.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • MessyBetty
    Options
    What a great thread:) brought back some wonderful memories:j
    I was born in 1969 so not quite the same age but I remember lots of items listed here. I used to play cats cradle just a piece of wool knotted that was taken from one to another, if you google it I'm sure it will tell you how to play it. We also used to French skip with a piece of elastic knotted you needed 3 players for this.

My first single was I'll be your long haired lover from Liverpool I think by Donny Osmand :o

I collected the pencil toppers and scratch n sniff stickers I loved the wombles and smirfs.

You have got me going now I think I will do a hamper for my sister next year. I hope you have fun doing this for your mum I'm sure she will love it x
    EF #40 £250/£1000 Sep PAD 26/30 £700/£700😀 Oct PAD 1/31 £300/£500
    Debt free date Dec 2016
  • qwiksave
    qwiksave Posts: 4,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was born in 1964 same as the OP's mum and think some of you must have been more advanced than me!

OP, doubt your mum was still into David Cassidy as a teen, he had his heyday in the early 70s. Disco and punk were the main influences when I became a teen.

Sorry to differ but I think the OP's mum could still have been into David Cassidy when she was a teen, despite the punk & disco trends. I was born in 1963 and I purposefully avoided all things punk as it was not for me. I did love the earlier trend of glam rock though.

My hubby and children did a hamper for my 50th last year with all the food products that are still around today that were originally from the 60's/70's era and I loved it! My husband even found a 'Marathon' bar wrapper on the internet and carefully rewrapped a modern 'Snickers', which is the name they changed to.
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
  • colleensims
    Options
    WOW!
    Thanks for so many replies! I cant wait to get going on the hamper... I bought 2 Jackie annuals from the 70s from Ebay so far and I cant wait to see them myself!!

Glad it has bought back so many fond memories for people! I'm a 90's child so some of the things are a real eye opener lol!!!

On a side note, my mum gave me a record player when I was little that used to be hers but I only had one record for it (it may have been called 'Popcorn?!!' not quite sure, it didn't have any words) but I remember when it was tidy up our bedroom day (usually on a Sunday) I would put my only record on and hop around my bedroom. haha. This thread just reminded me of some fun childhood things
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another one I have just thought of a Pogo Stick.

Love this thread it is bringing back very happy childhood memories and the happy times we had as a family with my mum and dad who are now both deceased. You don't realise how good it was until you are grown up and have a family of your own. We were very privileged children and we knew it.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned David Essex? He was hugely popular in the early to mid 70's. Would second Aquamanda all those adverts on radio caroline!!
    Slightly bitter
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes Aqua Manda re-launched about a year ago - formula slightly different due to different safety for ingredients. Aqua Citra coming any day (the lemon version).

Also loads of Musk fragrance used.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • TiddlyPom
    Options
    Pez sweets. A plastic tube of sweets with a character head on that flipped back to dispense the treat.
    This thread is making me feel old!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • prin
    prin Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I was born in 1963 sorry if it's already been posted - drinks of the moment were cherry B and babycham when I was a young teen, anything tartan for the bay city rollers maybe a donny osmond calendar if you can find one he was lush then you know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure