PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken curry?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• European_Citizen
    Options
    You can bulk it out with potatoes as well, I always do that as they taste nice and cost much less than chicken breasts. Just cut them into bite-size chunks and they should be done in 30 min.
  • poodledoodledoo
    Options
    You can bulk it out with potatoes as well, I always do that as they taste nice and cost much less than chicken breasts. Just cut them into bite-size chunks and they should be done in 30 min.
    Do I need to parboil them or anything or can I just throw them in raw?
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps, I love winning prizes big and small
    :A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I batch cook my curry sauce, freeze in portions and then just take out how much I need.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • European_Citizen
    Options
    I find that 30 min is enough if you put them in raw and I never par-boil them. However, it might take a bit longer depending on the quantity of tomatoes which tend to make potatoes hard initially due to being acidic. Just check them after 30 min and give them another 5 if they are not done.
  • poodledoodledoo
    Options
    I find that 30 min is enough if you put them in raw and I never par-boil them. However, it might take a bit longer depending on the quantity of tomatoes which tend to make potatoes hard initially due to being acidic. Just check them after 30 min and give them another 5 if they are not done.

I'm using tinned and fresh tomatoes so perhaps I should leave it a bit longer.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I make a lot of curry and for me personally the longer it cooks on low, the better the flavours. I always go to the recipe (sealing the meat etc) then bring to the boil and simmer for at least 2-3 hours. I find the flavours develop nicer like this.

But then i am a curry geek/addict:o

I also have successfully frozen ready meal curries (every batch), and sauce - either works.

Ill merge this with our chicken curry thread later

Good luck

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• poodledoodledoo
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    I make a lot of curry and for me personally the longer it cooks on low, the better the flavours. I always go to the recipe (sealing the meat etc) then bring to the boil and simmer for at least 2-3 hours. I find the flavours develop nicer like this.

But then i am a curry geek/addict:o

I also have successfully frozen ready meal curries (every batch), and sauce - either works.

Ill merge this with our chicken curry thread later

Good luck

Zip :)

I might even try freezing the finished curry AND a batch of sauce.
    We are curry addicts too in Poodle house ;)
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    :shocked::shocked::shocked:
    A top tip I learned the other day is if you are chopping and seeding fresh chillies, was your hands BEFORE going to the toilet...

And take your contact lenses out before you chop chillies, trust me on this:D.

I have read that if you smear the knife and hands with oil before you chop, it helps. Not had a chance to try this so can't say if it works.
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    I chopped chillies once with no gloves - my hands and face were on fire for hours afterwards. Most unpleasant (I must have scratched my cheek or something whilst doing it)

Yeah. These days I use chilli powder :o
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • poodledoodledoo
    Options
    Hawthorn wrote: »
    I chopped chillies once with no gloves - my hands and face were on fire for hours afterwards. Most unpleasant (I must have scratched my cheek or something whilst doing it)

Yeah. These days I use chilli powder :o

I know it's probably wrong but I added a splash of Tabasco to my curry instead of fresh chillies and it worked a treat!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills