Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,556 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boo to DH breaking a rib. Unfortunately they can’t do anything about them they just heal in time. Yet another coincidence in our lives as Mr SA is still suffering with his rib from falling in the pond a few weeks ago.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thanks SA and Beanie. DH has broken lots of ribs over the years, so he is aware of how it feels and the fact that nothing can be done to fix it. He’s dosing up on Ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Absolutely hammering down here, which is no surprise as I’m getting my hair cut later. I’m trying a new (to me) salon which is recommended for curly hair. It’s not expensive so I thought it was worth a try. Fingers crossed.

Have cashed out another £5 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,699 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope your hair is as lovely as you :D xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Aw Beanie :smileyhea. It’s certainly better than it was!! The girl told me off (in a nice way) for not taking better care of myself :o Xx
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Been to the cinema today to see the Spiderman movie, which we all enjoyed. Even with DH’s CEA card it’s still ridiculously expensive for a family to go see a film :eek:. I had some points on the loyalty card (which they have now stopped, boo!) to use up, so the kids were very happy with their free popcorn etc. We then had an appointment at the bank to get DS1 a ‘proper’ account and by the time that was over I was conned into burgers!! I want to cry at the amount of money spent today, but in all fairness it’s been our only treat in about 9 days.

Speaking of treats, I’ve booked myself in to get my nails and eyebrows done tomorrow using a voucher i got for my birthday!! It’s only taken me 11months to get round to it. Hair, nails and brows done all in the same week!! Never been known :rotfl:. Sometimes it’s not in the same year :o.

I have also been brave and emailed the folks behind the Ultimate Family Competition we won last year. I still had some train tickets left over, but they’ve ran out of date, so I cheekily asked if they could be replaced and they said yes :j. Hoping to use them for a few days away at the end of the month, but plans have had to be on hold as I don’t know what’s happening with my annual Carer’s payment. I’ve normally had it by now so I called them today and they are going to look into it and call me back tomorrow. They had a system change a few months ago and it’s possible I have to wait :(.
  • BalanceBy50
    BalanceBy50 Posts: 467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been to the cinema today to see the Spiderman movie, which we all enjoyed. Even with DH’s CEA card it’s still ridiculously expensive for a family to go see a film :eek:. I had some points on the loyalty card (which they have now stopped, boo!) to use up, so the kids were very happy with their free popcorn etc. We then had an appointment at the bank to get DS1 a ‘proper’ account and by the time that was over I was conned into burgers!!

Oh lucky I feel your pain :eek: My boys love the cinema but it's so expensive. I am sure you know this but it's only £5 at the Odeon for any film and £4.99 at The Vue. In the holidays I try and go on a Tuesday or Wednesday so I can use a Meerkat code :money: has a trick where you can get a really cheap insurance policy but if not I am happy to share mine if you DM me also I believe Vodafone do two tickets for £7 if you are on their network - I am not so not sure how this works. Mum took my oldest to see the Spider-Man film in Tuesday. I am not a huge cinema fan so was pleased she did that. I managed to fall asleep through the Lion King today :rotfl: expensive nap!! My 7yr old is obsessed with the golden arches and has already said he is buying a house next to one when he is older :rotfl: my two don't want happy meals anymore and 7yr older wants a burger on the side of his meal and my 4yr old likes a big Mac meal :eek: it's not a cheap trip anymore.

These holidays are so expensive xx
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,556 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you've had some treats just for you xx

Last time I had a carer's payment they said it would probably be the last one as they'd changed the system and I'd more likely to be offered something like gym membership, which would be good except the last time they offered me that it was for a gym an hour's walk away, I don't have transport :(
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Oh lucky I feel your pain :eek: My boys love the cinema but it's so expensive. I am sure you know this but it's only £5 at the Odeon for any film and £4.99 at The Vue. In the holidays I try and go on a Tuesday or Wednesday so I can use a Meerkat code :money: has a trick where you can get a really cheap insurance policy but if not I am happy to share mine if you DM me also I believe Vodafone do two tickets for £7 if you are on their network - I am not so not sure how this works. Mum took my oldest to see the Spider-Man film in Tuesday. I am not a huge cinema fan so was pleased she did that. I managed to fall asleep through the Lion King today :rotfl: expensive nap!! My 7yr old is obsessed with the golden arches and has already said he is buying a house next to one when he is older :rotfl: my two don't want happy meals anymore and 7yr older wants a burger on the side of his meal and my 4yr old likes a big Mac meal :eek: it's not a cheap trip anymore.

These holidays are so expensive xx

Thanks BB50. It was the odeon we went to, but it was £7 per ticket. I do have the Meerkat thing, but this week the Thursday was better for us. Will think harder about that next time though. Our little treat (along with other spending) has messed up our finances :eek: Xx
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Glad you've had some treats just for you xx

Last time I had a carer's payment they said it would probably be the last one as they'd changed the system and I'd more likely to be offered something like gym membership, which would be good except the last time they offered me that it was for a gym an hour's walk away, I don't have transport :(

I missed the call from the payment team on Friday, and they left a voicemail saying that my name was on a ‘to do’ list for a review but they had no idea of timescales. So no further forward :(. Not good re the gym they offered you Xx
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    So I went to the salon armed with my voucher on Friday morning. I had gel polish on my finger nails, and my eyebrows waxed and tinted. It was supposed to be a lovely bit of pampering, but I have never felt so invisible. The girl doing it was more interested in the other conversations going on in the salon than in me. Apart from asking what colour I wanted, she barely spoke to me. Then, when she took me through to do my eyebrows she didn’t even ask what I wanted, just whacked on the tint and disappeared to chat in the salon again, then came back and ripped the hairs off and pushed me out the door. The voucher was for £20 and I thought I’d have to put a few pounds towards it, but it ended up being £34 (ie £14 cash I had to pay) so a lot more than I expected :(. I do like my nails, and my eyebrows are ok, if a little darker than I would have liked, but I won’t ever be going back. Even if money was no object!!

I then went food shopping and miscounted, so although my payment went through, I got a text immediately from the bank saying I was £2.76 overdrawn :mad:. My Sister came to the rescue and transferred £10 in :A. I’m feeling rather rubbish though, as it’s been my frivolities - hair/nails/eyebrows - that have left us short.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport