We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why has jet2 put their prices up so much in 2 days

Options

Comments

• paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm some interesting reasons. May hold off another couple of weeks. Thanks for your help
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's usually due to supply and demand, if so many seat / holidays are booked then the price will rise. Last weekend was pay day so a lot of people will have been looking and booking so the supply and demand will have increased leading to slightly higher prices.

Lots of tour operator / agents put their prices up slightly around weekends and pay day. (Usually by increasing the % commission margin by a small amount). You'll perhaps find that prices drop mid month when people start looking again, to entice them in ready for next months pay day.

Keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks and see if it drops.
    Lea :confused:
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Options
    lea2012 wrote: »
    It's usually due to supply and demand, if so many seat / holidays are booked then the price will rise. Last weekend was pay day so a lot of people will have been looking and booking so the supply and demand will have increased leading to slightly higher prices.

Lots of tour operator / agents put their prices up slightly around weekends and pay day. (Usually by increasing the % commission margin by a small amount). You'll perhaps find that prices drop mid month when people start looking again, to entice them in ready for next months pay day.

Keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks and see if it drops.

thanks will do.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Why not? It happens all the time with easy jet/Ryanair etc.

No it doesn't.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not? It happens all the time with easy jet/Ryanair etc.

People continually claim it does but, to my knowledge, not a single one of them has ever been able to demonstrate it.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    They probably aren't making the blindest difference.

If they have any business sense it makes plenty of difference, all searches are fed into the pricing algorithm, as demand goes up so does the price.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    People continually claim it does but, to my knowledge, not a single one of them has ever been able to demonstrate it.

Happened to DH. 14 of them going on a stag do. About 10 checked the price in the morning. By lunchtime it had gone up about £5 a seat. 12 booked together at that price. The other 2 did it separately and paid about £15 more each.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2014 at 6:38PM
    Options
    DKLS wrote: »
    If they have any business sense it makes plenty of difference, all searches are fed into the pricing algorithm, as demand goes up so does the price.

I didn't say it doesn't make business sense, I said I doubt they do it. If they did then there would be no logical reason why not a single person has managed to demonstrate it.

Plus of course, increased searches does not equal increased demand. In fact, I'd say such a policy could easily be more negative for the business. Lets say I searched Jet2, Ryanair and Easyjet for a ticket. Jet2 were £1 cheaper so I go back to them and they've increased their price by £2. For the sake of £2 they've now lost the sale.
    Happened to DH. 14 of them going on a stag do. About 10 checked the price in the morning. By lunchtime it had gone up about £5 a seat. 12 booked together at that price. The other 2 did it separately and paid about £15 more each.

Them searching in the morning does not prove that the £5 increase was because of them. Particularly if they then booked as a group - the reason why it was £5 more was because there wasn't 12 seats available at that price. You can demonstrate it yourself right now.

Look at flights from East Midlands to Tenerife on the 21st November. The price for 2 people is £63 each, the price for 15 is £66 each.

With the greatest level of respect, you simply do not know what you're talking about on this topic (and nor should you be expected to)!
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    I don't work in the airline industry, but I am in the profession of pricing/demand management etc (hotel group, senior level 14 yrs experience in the field)

No hotel group I have ever worked at has systems that increase prices based on searches. They will review business demand constantly so as bookings are made, the rate strategy will be applied and certain discount rates etc will close out or the Best available Rate might be increased.All the big players use one of two key industry specific software applications to automate this process (there are some other systems that claim they can do this job), some smaller groups might have manual methods e.g. complex spreadsheets to help them manage the process
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've worked in travel for over 15 years, and currently work in marketing for a travel organisation. Whilst the company I work at now doesn't really take searches into account, the company I worked for before certainly did. Each week we would look at what people were searching and booking and adjust the price accordingly. If a place was popular the profit margin was increased slightly so that we would take advantage and make more money. (Particularly if a place had been featured on TV, in a mag etc) If a place wasn't doing so well we would do a 'flash sale' and drop the profit margins to encourage bookers. Margins were nearly always increased by a few percent and weekends and pay day. It's common business sense.

Flights won't necessarily go up based on searches,but cookies and cache will help an airline to remember what you were looking at previously and your details, which helps them then re-market the product to you all over the internet and will let the website know what the last price you looked at was. I've never worked for an airline so can't say whether or not it then affects the price but here are some articles that are both yes and no arguements.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/10658392/Do-airlines-raise-fares-while-you-search.html

http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2010/aug/07/computer-cookies-booking-online

http://elliott.org/the-navigator/no-airline-cookie-conspiracy-what-about-this-trail-of-crumbs/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christopher-elliott/should-travel-companies-u_b_3852673.html
    Lea :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family