Why has jet2 put their prices up so much in 2 days

Options
I had a holiday quote on thursday 30th last week of £1533 for 2 adults and 4 year old AI for lanzarote next feb with Jet2. I went to book it on friday morning after checking out the cashback sites and found it had increased £30. So waited a couple of hours to speak to my husband and had found it had gone up another £50. By saturday it had gone up again and finally Sunday morning it had gone up to £1833, £300 more. I did look at different dates and other hotels at this time and they all had gone up by this much. I read somewhere that prices can go up at weekend. But they are still at this high price and havent dropped at all over the last couple of days.
I have looked at Thomas cook and First choice and they seem reasonable for simailar holiday with these dates.
But I liked Jet2 legroom, extra luggage etc and cannot understand why they have increased so much so quickly.

Will these prices drop to a reasonable price again, i dont really want to wait till christmas to book it. Has anyone else experienced this before

Comments

• callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a holiday quote on thursday 30th last week of £1533 for 2 adults and 4 year old AI for lanzarote next feb with Jet2. I went to book it on friday morning after checking out the cashback sites and found it had increased £30. So waited a couple of hours to speak to my husband and had found it had gone up another £50. By saturday it had gone up again and finally Sunday morning it had gone up to £1833, £300 more. I did look at different dates and other hotels at this time and they all had gone up by this much. I read somewhere that prices can go up at weekend. But they are still at this high price and havent dropped at all over the last couple of days.
    I have looked at Thomas cook and First choice and they seem reasonable for simailar holiday with these dates.
    But I liked Jet2 legroom, extra luggage etc and cannot understand why they have increased so much so quickly.

Will these prices drop to a reasonable price again, i dont really want to wait till christmas to book it. Has anyone else experienced this before

If all the packages have increased by this much then it implies that the flights have increased in price by £50 per person each way.

They could certainly drop in price again but no-one could possibly tell you for sure (otherwise no-one would buy at the higher price!). Either way I'd personally wait a few days and see if they come down.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that Feb half term week that you want to go? If so, demand may get in the way of any price falls.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is that Feb half term week that you want to go? If so, demand may get in the way of any price falls.

no it is last week in feb, my son is 4 while we want to be away, so he is not starting school till this september.

Looking at other travel companies offering similar holidays for cheaper must mean it is the flights that have gone up. But not just the week we want but all flights. I have tried the week later and week before and they are all a lot more expensive.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might have no connection but..........I've recently had a phone call from Jet2. They rang me to ask if I enjoyed my recent holiday and then they wanted to know if I was planning another holiday.

I told them that I'm not planning a holiday yet and the Jet2 lady rang off.

It seems that Jet2 are busy making phone calls to all of their customers at the moment. If customers are booking another holiday (prompted by the Jet2 phone call), it might be why the cost of holidays are increasing........as the planes seats start to fill up.;)

If Jet2 are reading this thread.......I don't want to be pestered with phone calls from Jet2. If you pester me, I will stop booking holidays with Jet2.:p
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Your own repeated searches probably aren't helping, OP. ;)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

They probably aren't making the blindest difference.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    They probably aren't making the blindest difference.

Why not? It happens all the time with easy jet/Ryanair etc.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I am only checking once a day now. But I spent a lot of time last week prior to finding the holiday I wanted on the jet2 website. The price stayed low until the Friday. So don't really understand how I can make the prices go up on my own
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    You havent. I find Jet2s prices normally increase a week or so prior to a 10% off sale.
  • picardygirl
    Options
    Could it be related to the fact that Jet2 lost at the Supreme Court on Friday 31 October.

They are going to be paying out a shed load of money to customers who have experienced delays in years gone by!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure