Money Moral Dilemma: Should Gordon pay to have Tony's eggs?

Options

Comments

• Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    brave wrote: »
    Gordon should not pay for the eggs.
    Paul should keep his hens on his own property. (It is agaist the law to allow poultry to stay on other peoples prperty)

Brave can you provide any evidence to back up your statement (highlighted above) as other poster's have done so that we know exactly which law you're referring too. Ta :D MC
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • Mics_chick
    Options
    freebird65 wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

ROFLMAO! But seriously, if the chicken's are going to get into next door's garden then why should the neighbours pay for the eggs? As already mentioned, Mr Chicken-Keeper should ensure they stay where they are meant to, or be prepared to also pay for any mess/destruction/whatever caused by said clucky creatures.

Freebird I LMAO too :D (very good Epiphone :T)

I agree that Gordon shouldn't pay either... in fact I think Tony is a right cheeky !!!!!! for suggesting it - so much for neighbourly relations :rolleyes:

Scrooge has got nothing on him he's more like one of Harry Enfield's old gits :rotfl:
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Options
    ifan.goch wrote: »
    I wish my neighbour would accept this point and fence his dog in - its always in my garden after my chickens. I wouldn't give him an egg if he was dying of starvation! :mad:

You have the legal right to shoot said dog then. It is worrying livestock, and the rules for that are the same for sheep as any other livestock. If that's not something you'd want to do then
    - Get the RSPCA / coppers to talk to him about his dog's behaviour.
    - Next time the dog escapes, dump him at a small, obscure animal shelter further than you would expect the dog to have gone (i.e. next county or further). Then the dog either doesn't get claimed and gets a better home, or your neighbour has the hassle and expense of retrieving it. If it contines then continue taking it to the same shelter, because the shelter will eventually get fed up of seeing said blasted dog and things will be said, to the tune of "are you sure you want this dog?" to a rather stronger severity.
  • Mics_chick
    Options
    ifan.goch wrote: »
    I wish my neighbour would accept this point and fence his dog in - its always in my garden after my chickens. I wouldn't give him an egg if he was dying of starvation! :mad:

If you've tried to sort it out in a friendly way and nothing has changed then I would see if you can take him to court - farmers used to be allowed to shoot dogs who were worrying their sheep but I'm not sure if this is still the case :confused: maybe there's a similar law that would cover this area...

Although I try to stay as friendly as possible with my neighbours I don't let them walk all over me - I've complained several times to our adjoined neighbours about loud music and sorted out a parking dispute with our neighbours on the opposite side of the road.
    I always try to talk it out staying calm and civil - not easy I know but I usually have a rant to get it out my system and then I find it easy to stay calm. I've ranted and raved in the past and it just makes things much much worse.
    But if I was in your situation and talking hadn't worked then I would complain to the council or take them to court to get it sorted out... :D
  • bagpuss
    bagpuss Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    If he does not like his chickens effectively trespassing in his neighbours garden then that is his problem and he should do something about it, ie better fencing!!! The eggs are compensation to Gordon for the damage they do - fair enough!
  • cobbingstones
    cobbingstones Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    If these Egg's are laid in Gordon's garden. Don't they legally become his (similar to a neighbours apple tree dropping its apples in your property). If that is the case, do these Eggs become 'Scotch eggs'? :-)

I also think letting them go off and pelting the lying bar steward with them, would be an eggsellent idea.
  • Tripe
    Tripe Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    If Tony and Gordon are in Scotland, and Tony's chickens go in to Gordon's garden and lay eggs, by law, not only can Gordon keep the eggs he can also keep the chickens that are laying these eggs.

But no matter where he is Gordon should eat those eggs and if Tony has a problem with that he should do something about his fence.
  • freddy27
    freddy27 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I say eat the eggs, and then the chickens. Very soon there will be no problem, and Gordon will have had several nice meals.
  • Phil2449
    Options
    Gordon should keep & eat the eggs. Tony should build a more secure pen for his chickens.
    Gordon could also sell the eggs more cheaply than Tony and under cut him as he does not have the operating costs that Tony has!
  • King_Hildebrand
    Options
    I believe that birds bred for hunting, like grouse and pheasant, are "owned" by the person whose land they happen to be on at the time. I'd guess the same goes for chickens raised for eggs. So I agree with some other posts here, let Gordon eat the eggs, and the hens, too, if he feels like it. :T Or maybe he'd prefer to build his own secure poultry cage, and set up with hens supplied by Tony in competition with him!

(By the way, where do you come up with these names? They sound a little familiar...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure