Money Moral Dilemma: Should Gordon pay to have Tony's eggs?

Options

Comments

• HUGGYSBEAR
    Options
    Gordon should eat the evidence then deny all knowledge of the chickens laying any eggs in his garden!
  • meifodrat
    Options
    No Gordon should not pay for eggs, Tony needs better fencing.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon, Tony, chickens and eggs - there's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm noy quick witted enough :)

If my chickens were escaping into my neighbour’s garden, the last thing I'd be worrying about is charging for the eggs - I'd be very grateful that my neighbour wasn't complaining! So no, he shouldn't pay for them and Tony should ensure that his chickens are kept more securely in future.
  • pjaj
    pjaj Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To quote the Garden Law web site :-
    Animals - a duty to fence

Although there is no general obligation on the garden owner to fence his land, even where the garden is next to the public highway, if he has animals on the garden, then he must fence to prevent the escape of the animals onto the public highway. The Highway Authority can come onto your land an fence it off to protect the public. If your animals stray either onto the highway or a neighbouring owners land, then you could be responsible for the damage that they cause.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • ifan.goch
    ifan.goch Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    pjaj wrote: »
    To quote the Garden Law web site :-
    Animals - a duty to fence

Although there is no general obligation on the garden owner to fence his land, even where the garden is next to the public highway, if he has animals on the garden, then he must fence to prevent the escape of the animals onto the public highway. The Highway Authority can come onto your land an fence it off to protect the public. If your animals stray either onto the highway or a neighbouring owners land, then you could be responsible for the damage that they cause.

I wish my neighbour would accept this point and fence his dog in - its always in my garden after my chickens. I wouldn't give him an egg if he was dying of starvation! :mad:
  • RobN_2
    RobN_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon should throw the eggs back over the fence. ;)
  • brave_2
    brave_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon should not pay for the eggs.
    Paul should keep his hens on his own property. (It is agaist the law to allow poultry to stay on other peoples prperty)
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • starkj
    starkj Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Gordon should pay up. You can't reason with a homicidal war criminal.
  • djnelson99
    Options
    I think Gordon should eat the Chickens - no more straying into his garden then!
  • katiekittykat
    katiekittykat Posts: 9,622 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he wants Gordon to pay for the eggs, then Gordon should charge Tony for his chickens being on his land!!!
    Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure