MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    On the Cheap Energy Club comparison for the winter switch it says that there is a £5 per fuel on-line discount factored into the figures (which is indeed factored in).

On the Cheap Energy Club comparison for the v12 it shows no on-line discounts factored into the figures, and there are if you check it indeed no on-line discounts factored into the figures.

However according to the EON website comparison there is a £5 per fuel paperless discount for the v12 that is not factored into the Cheap Energy Club figures.

On the Cheap Energy Comparison the winter switch shows as £7 cheaper. But if there is a £10 paperless discount on the v12 that doesn't apply under the winter switch, then the v12 is actually cheaper by £3.

So for the Cheap Energy Club comparison to be right, there must either be a £10 paperless discount on top of the £10 on-line discount for the winter switch (albeit I would have guessed that on-line and paperless were different names for the same thing not different discounts) or the EON comparison on its own website is wrong.

Hi Snowman

I can confirm that the following discounts available on Eon's Collective Switch Tariff are £20 discount for dual fuel, and £5 per fuel for paperless billing. Looking across all regions for average users the Collective Switch Tariff beats Eon's v12 tariff.

If you do want to choose the v12 tariff you can go paperless (the option is on the application form).
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kuepper wrote: »
    it says its available but I only switched 10 months ago, and I thought that barred me from the cashback too so I'm wondering about the accuracy of the tool???

LOL

The website shows the general possibility of cashback based on the switch you are attempting.

As always, terms and conditions apply, and as you clearly are aware, one of those terms is only 1 cashback payment in a 12 month period.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 October 2014 at 6:48PM
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi Snowman

I can confirm that the following discounts available on Eon's Collective Switch Tariff are £20 discount for dual fuel, and £5 per fuel for paperless billing. Looking across all regions for average users the Collective Switch Tariff beats Eon's v12 tariff.

If you do want to choose the v12 tariff you can go paperless (the option is on the application form).

The issue is that in the Cheap Energy Club comparison, the £10 paperless discount for the v12 is not incorporated into the figures, but the £10 paperless discount is incorporated into the figures for the winter switch. Hence the comparison appears to be misleading.

In figures for the North West region (14,000kwh gas, 2000 kwh electricity) the Cheap Energy Club gives me these figures (you can see how the £10 is only included in the first calculation, the £20 is the dual fuel discount and the rest is just unit rates and standing charges)

835(winter switch)

= (14000 x 3.496 x 0.01) + (21.903 x 365 x 0.01) + (2000 x 11.792 x 0.01) + (16.422 x 365 x 0.01) – 20 - 10

842 (v12)

= (14000 x 3.434 x 0.01) + (21.903*365*0.01) + (2000 x 12.096 x 0.01) + (16.422 x 365 x 0.01) – 20

If I run the figures with paperless billing on the EON website I get £832 for the v12, or if I switch paperless off (i.e with paper bills) then their figure for the v12 is £842. The unit rates etc EON show with their calculation, all agree with the calculation above also.

So it isn't a fair comparison and seems to show the wrong tariff to be cheapest, because paperless billing is only allowed for for the winter switch.

The paperless comparison should be £835 (winter switch) vs £832 (v12) so v12 is cheapest.

But the Cheap Energy Club comparison is £835 (winter switch) vs £842 (v12) so winter switch appears to be wrongly showing as the cheapest.

Please can you look into this further.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cant wait for the generic "Looking across all regions for average users the Collective Switch Tariff beats..." cut and paste response to that :)
  • canterswest
    Options
    https://thisisthebigdeal.com/blog/price-comparison-fat-cats

The guys behind the Big Deal are capitalists too, I think one of them was brought up living in a really big house.

The Big Deal, MSEs Big Switch, neither is anything to do with helping the most in need. Both are the apex of capitalism making the rich richer.

Collective switching was not meant to do that, but that's capitalism for you.

Not saying I have any better ideas .
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Big Deal is a load of rubbish as you can only enter your spend per month rather than actual KW used.
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 6:42PM
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    The Big Deal is a load of rubbish as you can only enter your spend per month rather than actual KW used.

Yes probably but I love that they called out Which? for its dodgy today button.

Registering for the Big Today the option to receive spam from The Sun and all its partners is the default!!!!

All on the take, where do we go from here?

Sorry, meant Big Deal, muddling up all these slogans about saving as bills go up.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Different areas have always had different tariffs .

Actually, in the past, for gas they didn't always have different prices, but did for electricity.

No matter, I was trying to be gentle with a first time poster who saw fit to correct footyguy.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did some comparison site tests between two and one weeks ago.

There was no such E.on tariff in such a prominent position then. The top two dual fuel tariffs were Extra Energy and First Utility

So it looks to me like the MSE Collector's Edition tariff is just a recently launched new E.on tariff with a modest discount.

Given the competitiveness in the market, and some downwards moves recently, is it fair to wonder if other large providers will respond to E.on's attractive new tariff, and that therefore the for 10 days available only offer might not look quite so fantastic in 15 or 20 days time? People who pay an exit penalty of £50 to commit to this new deal might find they'd have been better off overall not to move and just check their existing supplier's latest tariffs.

Is MSE's main aim advice or sales?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport