MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Different areas have always had different tariffs .
    Whilst that is correct, other comparison sites - energyhelpline for example - display the results based on a postcode and current tariff information only.

There is really no need to ask for name, address, contact number, etc. up front as the price differential is not that specific - unless you are planning to add it to a marketing database of course.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £30 cashback says it's for those who have not switched through MSE over the past 12 months, should have included that in the blurb, not hidden in the small print. MSE's subscribers may be members of the 'CHEAP' Energy Club so already on cheap prices.

This seems like a really big issue to me, and something I wasn't aware of until I read canterswest's post. Surely the majority of CEC members will have switched through it in the last 12 months, and therefore wouldn't qualify for the cashback if they did this collective switch today?

Something for the MSE staff to comment on please, seeing as they are obviously monitoring this thread very closely?
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    If you tell me your supply region (or first half of your postcode - I don't even need it all), the current supplier & tariff you are on, and the annual consumption figures you are looking to compare, I will take a look for you if you want :)

e.g. is it anything to do with your current tariff coming to an end within 12 months, and so the CEC assumes you will then be on the supplier's expensive standard tariff?
    Postcode begins with PO8
    Annual Gas Consumption is 18158
    Annual Electricity Consumption is 4677
    Only switched a month ago to EON Collective Fixed 1 Year September 2014
  • KTF
    Options
    Postcode begins with PO8
    Annual Gas Consumption is 18158
    Annual Electricity Consumption is 4677
    Only switched a month ago to EON Collective Fixed 1 Year September 2014
    Results from energyhelpline based on the above.

Capture.JPG
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Partly through laziness, I guess, but I am betting on more price cuts.

As it is, I can save £24 + £30 cashback if I switch from Scottish Power December 2015 fix to E.On, with no exit penalty.

I want Scottish Power to bring out a competing short fix so I get a similar deal just by waiting a few weeks. Ideally, they will bring out an April 2016 fix around January 2015, so I will be covered for two winters.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 October 2014 at 4:04PM
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    This seems like a really big issue to me, and something I wasn't aware of until I read canterswest's post. Surely the majority of CEC members will have switched through it in the last 12 months, and therefore wouldn't qualify for the cashback if they did this collective switch today?

Something for the MSE staff to comment on please, seeing as they are obviously monitoring this thread very closely?

I used a different switch comparison site last time because of this restriction. I've switched 3 times in the past year.

It would be helpful to know how the relevant 12 month period is calculated in relation to this?

Is it date of actual switch this time less date of actual switch last time
    (i.e. based on when new supplier starts to bill)

or

Is it date switch initiated this time less date switch initiated last time

or

is it something else?
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    Results from energyhelpline based on the above.

Capture.JPG
    Exavtly!
    The annual cost from Energyhelpline, Comparethemarket.com and Confused.com all show £1309.
    Uswitch shows £1319 for some reason although not too different.
    However, The Cheap Energy Club shows a cost of £1459 thus telling me that I would have a very large annual saving of £184 when based on the figures from all the other comparison sites, my saving would only be £30 to £40!
  • scofra
    scofra Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MSE Dan L, Although I still am thankful that your team is looking into the glitch that seems to have affected my account this morning, for two other reasons, I would like the switch to NOT be processed anymore:
    1- £30 cashback only for those who have not switched through MSE over the past 12 months
    2- MSE Cheap Energy Club estimate spend £1018/yr (E.ON), but E.ON's own estimate is £1053.7/yr i.e £35 pounds more.
    All-in-all, no longer a deal for me.
    Are you able to stop the process?
    Thanks for your help with this.
  • KTF
    Options
    Even if they cant stop the process you will get a letter saying that you are within the cooling off period and if you have changed your mind just call your supplier to cancel the transfer.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you look at your energy bill, it will tell you the calorific value of gas in your region (it's not specific to a street, postal code but much wider) and give details on how to change the units read from the meter to Kwh.

This involves multiply units by calorific value, then multiply by one number and dividing by another. (The calorific value changes with region,but multiplying by one fixed number, then dividing by another could surely be simplified by multiplying by one fixed value) .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure