🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Advice

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    I think it would also help if the meanings of words were more clearly explained when teaching spelling. It would be a lot easier to remember that it doesn't end 'ate' if you were aware of the similarities to 'finite'.

As if we don't do that? :cool:

I always explain the root of any word which causes spelling problems. In the case if 'definite ' we talk about the Latin 'finire, the French Finir as well as finish and finite.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This blog post might appeal to some of you:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Every time I see a grammatical mistake, I think of this post and smile :-)

I love that, thanks!

I can remember when I had just one pupil who wrote 'a lot' as one word, in spite of my in reading frustration at her ignoring of corrections. :(
    She's an actor now and I occasionally see her on TV.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I received a business email. The emailler was in a bit of a lather and wrote a few times what we "should of" done.

A sad shake of the head and some mild despair later I replied, and of course didn't correct her.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Why two paragraphs about the same subject, robatwork?
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    As another poster has noted, it's an easy way to "separate the wheat from the chaff" when preparing to interview. If I'm ever asked for feedback, I am honest with the candidate and will usually inform them that their failure to reach the interview stage was due to their poor mastery of English.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Because this stuff shouldn't be swept under the carpet in the same way teachers are now afraid to tell pupils they are wrong, they just "use English differently". I even see misspelt missives from school, which is hopeless.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Because this stuff shouldn't be swept under the carpet in the same way teachers are now afraid to tell pupils they are wrong, they just "use English differently".

Do you have any evidence for this?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have noticed the advice and advise mispellings and yes, it does annoy. I've itched to correct many times but also rap myself on the knuckles because you don't know if the OP has a SEN (spell check doesn't help those with dyslexia) but I do think a lot of the time its down to ignorance.

I will now deliberately not proof read this post lol. Have fun!
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    As if we don't do that? :cool:

I always explain the root of any word which causes spelling problems. In the case if 'definite ' we talk about the Latin 'finire, the French Finir as well as finish and finite.

It's great that you do that but it's certainly not something which was ever done at my school.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    I've just been reminded of another word which defiantly belongs in this thread!
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport