Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, typo, £22.49 (less £11 discount for 6 months) But this is still substantially more than the advertised full price of £14.99

The price of £22.49 is for those taking BB with no phone line. The £14.99 price is for those taking a phone line too.

If you look at PlusNet's website and the offer that is shown here, that is perfectly clear.

Did you select don't need/want a phone?
  • CarpingAgain
    Options
    No, I put my phone number in, which I wish to keep and there is reference to 'my existing service'. The price of ordinary broadband also goes up from £9.99 to £17.49. I think I'll need to talk to PlusNet if I decide to go ahead... On the other hand some kind of explanation on the web site would be helpful
  • egrescrimp
    egrescrimp Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, typo, £22.49 (less £11 discount for 6 months) But this is still substantially more than the advertised full price of £14.99

This will be because you aren't in a low cost area, see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml for more details.
  • CarpingAgain
    Options
    Thanks egresrimp, spot on, I'm not in a low cost area. It's really helpful to get your advice.
    I do think this should be made clearer on the web site. And once again rural areas, who need broadband most, get charged at premium rates. Hey ho!
  • moneysaver
    moneysaver Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Appalling service. Had it for about 5wks everything ok then last Sunday it started to slow down, it has went down as low as 0.3meg. Pages taking about a minute to load. I have spoken to a few advisors, they sent an engineer out, he got 17meg download so put it down to plusnet or my supplied router.
    Waiting on a new router to give it a try. It has took over a week to get this resolved & it is frustrating to say the least.

Moneysaver
  • penelopeessence
    Options
    I was transferred over from Sky with some confusion (BB transferred at a separate time from calls and the prospect of no service for a couple of days) but in the event it was reasonably smooth and Plusnet promised a free month's BB when i complained.

But any calls (made deliberately or inadvertently) outside the plan are so expensive that like other people I know I have accepted that I have to upgrade to the full international call plan for £7 per month rather than £2. The basic evenings and weekends deal is just a tempter. I will not be making referralsas Plusnet are now asking customers to do. The £100 refund cheque is due within 60 days of commencement of the plan. Roll on 11 months time. I shall probably have to upgrade BB then too as 17Mb is just too slow.

The Plusnet router seems to save bandwidth by going to sleep when not in use and then needs to be woken up for standard use.

The staff are at least in England.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    But any calls (made deliberately or inadvertently) outside the plan are so expensive that like other people I know I have accepted that I have to upgrade to the full international call plan for £7 per month rather than £2.

They're not any more expensive than they would have been with Sky who only have free Weekend calls.

You don't need to upgrade to the International plan - you can have the Anytime plan at £5pm. With Sky the International plan would have cost you £10pm so PlusNet is cheaper.

You could of course use the likes of Call18185 as PlusNet does allow the use of short access codes unlike Sky.
    I will not be making referralsas Plusnet are now asking customers to do.

It's certainly an option to refer but PlusNet certainly don't go around hassling you to refer. I've never been asked once.
    Roll on 11 months time. I shall probably have to upgrade BB then too as 17Mb is just too slow.

Are you suggesting you got faster with Sky?
    The Plusnet router seems to save bandwidth by going to sleep when not in use and then needs to be woken up for standard use.

I've never had my PlusNet router going to sleep. Can you explain how yours goes to sleep?
  • Sellurgranny
    Options
    Thanks Egrescrimp for the Plusnet low cost area link - was good to be able to check this. Also my partner is looking to switch to them but looks like he's not in a low cost area. Cheers again
  • snowboardalleycat
    Options
    I signed over to Plusnet £100 cash back deal. I am still waiting to be connected. Awful service, no updates, 2 weeks without internet and no sign of a connection.....not even sent out a new router.
    Excuses given I have 3 tags on my line???
    Really peeved!
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered the fact that you have tags on the line which prevents them taking over the service might just possibly be the fault of from whoever you have your service at the moment for failing to release the line and NOT the fault of Plusnet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure