MSE News: Energy comparison sites hide cheap tariffs, but we don't

in Energy
73 replies 9.9K views

Replies

• So the Big Deal is on the attack with a commercial relationship set up with the Sun; but does anyone know what they are getting out of it? And what makes them qualified to decide what the best deal is? Also how transparent they are in making that decision? At least we can take the big five to task about it, I'm also interested in taking the Big Switch to task as well....
    Target to be debt free: Dec 2015 (33 and debt free ;))
  • The Big Deal claims there is no commission charged by People Power collective switch in conjunction with The Sun newspaper.

A comparison site on Radio 5 Live with ML called its payment a small admin fee - I wonder if this is true and it does charge a small admin fee per switch, that customers pay, or if like most other introducers the amount it earns is different depending on deals it has negotiated, in which case it is commission not an admin fee.

I agree, there should be a not for profit, no commission source publishing all tariff prices including those for collective switches. Ofgem reduced the numbers of tariffs so this should be straightforward.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the Big Deal is on the attack with a commercial relationship set up with the Sun; but does anyone know what they are getting out of it? And what makes them qualified to decide what the best deal is? Also how transparent they are in making that decision? . . .
    Well, for the Sun it's a big story. The Big Deal has now got loads of free publicity. That's what's in it for both parties.

For most of us, the cheapest energy is normally regarded as the "best" deal. If some of these cheaper deals are being hidden by default on comparison sites then I think The Big Deal / The Sun make a good point about transparency.

Those of us in the know will probably avoid nPower and also pay some attention to feedback on customer service and the location of the suppliers' call centres but often these matters are a secondary consideration after annual energy cost.

I doubt that any of these co-operative-type switching schemes can do any better in terms of annual cost than most MSE subscribers can do on their own using comparison sites but we have to accept that the vast majority of energy customers are not familiar with the tricks employed by these sites and may prefer to use co-operative switching if it lowers their energy bill.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • shammyjackshammyjack
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, for the Sun it's a big story. The Big Deal has now got loads of free publicity. That's what's in it for both parties.

For most of us, the cheapest energy is normally regarded as the "best" deal. If some of these cheaper deals are being hidden by default on comparison sites then I think The Big Deal / The Sun make a good point about transparency.

Those of us in the know will probably avoid nPower and also pay some attention to feedback on customer service and the location of the suppliers' call centres but often these matters are a secondary consideration after annual energy cost.

I doubt that any of these co-operative-type switching schemes can do any better in terms of annual cost than most MSE subscribers can do on their own using comparison sites but we have to accept that the vast majority of energy customers are not familiar with the tricks employed by these sites and may prefer to use co-operative switching if it lowers their energy bill.

Co-operative switching can and does work for some. I have had 2 deals that could not be beaten elsewhere in the past even trying all the switching sites.
  • gogsboygogsboy Forumite
    527 Posts
    Who is hot at the moment to switch too?
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    gogsboy wrote: »
    There is no 'best' as it depends on your usage.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    gogsboy wrote: »
    It seems clear from an earlier post that you have recently been to a comparison site. Just what is it that you think anyone can add to what you found out there?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    527 Posts
    KTF wrote: »
    There is no 'best' as it depends on your usage.

That's I'm not really convinced off as I played around with the usage and the same came up, one comparison site rated the company 5 stars yet got a bit of a pasting after doing a search earlier.

The usage might have more of a bearing going from one extreme to the other
    527 Posts
    It seems clear from an earlier post that you have recently been to a comparison site. Just what is it that you think anyone can add to what you found out there?

Well I was almost going to pull the trigger on the one that seemed to continually came up, didn't seem a gamble given the sited rated them.

However on further searching on here they got a bit of a hammering.

Hence my question I guess.
    527 Posts
    No I'm not that fussed on cashback or any freebies to that level, its single switch so talking what £15 at best.

Just a bit annoyed that find out Npower state on our bills that we are on the cheapest tarrif when clearly not, to which they confirmed on the phone.

Very keen to switch onto cheaper but for that reason I was looking to move elsewhere and hopefully save in the process.

I don't get how Extra Energy have a 5 star service rating on the energy helpline site as I very nearly went with them on that very basis, I mean I assumed you could take that as fairly trustworthy.

They have npower on a 2 star rating so to have a competitor on 5 stars and saving it apparently a no brainer...however seems it's clearly not the case.....are they behind Extra Energy in some shape.

I don't follow the Energy market but I hadn't heard of them so glad I looked a bit further
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides