• edited 20 October 2014 at 1:06PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2014 at 1:06PM
    Aquamania wrote: »
    Perhaps you have a virus on your pc?

Sorry for doubting you. We are clearly seeing different things.

I've changed computer since my original post although still using firefox, and my mum gets the same on her computer which has no connection to mine (uses firefox).

Your first and second pages are identical to me (I didn't count the postcode page as a page), so the difference seems to be that last question and the contact phone number input.

I think it may be browser related.

I think we have deduced that in some computer configurations not all tariffs show by default with energy helpline
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    SnowMan wrote: »
    I've changed computer since my original post although still using firefox, and my mum gets the same on her computer which has no connection to mine (uses firefox).

I think it may be browser related.
    I would try clearing your cache and reloading the page as I dont see what you are seeing either.
  • SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    I would try clearing your cache and reloading the page as I dont see what you are seeing either.

Are you using firefox?

It is something more fundamental than the cache as I have seen the same question screen for years, and as I say multiple computers
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • edited 20 October 2014 at 1:19PM
    AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2014 at 1:19PM
    SnowMan wrote: »
    ...Your first and second pages are identical to me (I didn't count the postcode page as a page), so the difference seems to be that last question and the contact phone number input...

The pages I showed were using the special MSE link (hence you can just about see the cashback offer in the header)

If you go direct, the extra field requesting your contact details (i.e. optional phone number) is there.

But I don't see that last question no matter which browser I use.
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I am using firefox. I just tried it in IE and Chrome as well out of interest and see the same layout as Aquamania i.e. this

EHL_p3.jpg
  • SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    Yes, I am using firefox. I just tried it in IE and Chrome as well out of interest and see the same layout as Aquamania i.e. this

I am still getting the same extra questions in internet explorer. So the browser theory looks to be wrong. I've put a different postcode in and that doesn't change things either :rotfl:
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • FromplyFromply Forumite
    173 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm seeing the same as Snowman.

I've tried a different postcode, and I've tried "InPrivate" browsing...

All 3 attempts show me the same as Snowman
  • edited 20 October 2014 at 1:47PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2014 at 1:47PM
    Fromply wrote: »
    I'm seeing the same as Snowman.

I've tried a different postcode, and I've tried "InPrivate" browsing...

All 3 attempts show me the same as Snowman

Thank goodness for that :beer:
    I was beginning to doubt my sanity for a moment.

I've tried different browsers, different links, in private browsing, different postcode, different energy mix but see the same question every time.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the claims in that open letter linked to previously is

74% think switching sites should publish in full the commissions they receive.

Perhaps the Cheap Energy Club will do that?

Whilst about it, perhaps Martin will disclose the commission MSE earns on each and every affiliate link on this site.

... and then we'll go after the supermarkets to see what their mark up is on every tin of beans they sell ...

:cool:

• FromplyFromply Forumite
    173 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If comparison websites were honestly, openly and genuinely comparing best deals for consumers, then what incentive could there be for energy companies to pay commissions? The only, business reason, for a company to pay commission is so that they can alter the recommendation? Commission is basically a bribe to mislead the consumer into signing for a particular company when it isn't in the consumers best interest (because if it was in the consumers best interest, then they should do it anyway!).

Commission should not be allowed at all on comparison web sites - they should be required to follow other business models (such as on site advertising) - or if not possible, then it should be done free of charge as a service by the regulator!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides