PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £52.00 spent yesterday on a rather large shop. Stocked up on most things, so 'should' be ok until the end of November. I've meal planned for this week and will do one for next week later so I can keep an eye on what I have.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i went to bed last night full of good intentions. I left work early and popped into Lidl. I needed onions, washing up liquid, celery and cabbage. I did not need the reduced pork chops, the reduced fish or the mince that I thought would be good for tomorrows tea, that has now gone in the freezer as we wont be home tomorrow night. nor the ten packs of cous cous, bananas, bread and tinned tomatoes just in case.
    Thats my problem I had £7 in cash I spent £20 on my debit card.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please can I join? I have used MSE for years and always prided myself on being very frugal. However since OH moved in a couple of years ago this has really slipped. I would like to sign up for £200 for the month please for myself and OH. I do have a cat, but has cannot tolerate a lot of cat foods I cannot cut the budget for her so she won't be included. I am buying quite a few groceries for adult dd just now who is very ill and can't work, so I will need go through the receipts carefully to check what falls within the £200.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into co0p this evening to have a look around. Spent £1.06, and that was for three small baguettes, six sausage rolls and five mini battenbergs. Not bad going! Except I didn't actually need them! I plan to take them all with us on weds when we go for a picnic with friends though, so it'll make for a nice treaty day as well as a thrifty day.

By the way, kudos to the op, sorry but can't remember who said it, for saying Meatfree Mondays. I like it!! That will be happening in my house too. We often have a soup for dinner on a Monday anyway, as we're out until 6, so it's too late to cook something real.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Debt_Free_Desires
    Options
    Evening all

My financial month started on 24th October and runs to 23rd November.

I had my first grocery spends today totalling £27.40., this was mainly cleaning staples that I had run out of and some salad bits for lunches.

Tomorrow I intend to do an inventory of all the cupboards and write my 1st ever menu planner for the week :p ~ any tips gratefully received.

DFD
    #24 - £1000 Challenge - £397.24 (39.72%) / £1000
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A quick post from me to say I have checked and balanced for the end of October and my running total is now 74.59% of my annual budget. The bad news is that the garden produce is all now harvested and so it is back to the sm and market stall for the next few months, with the exceptions of onions, garlic, potatoes, butternut squash and frozen broad beans.
    Good luck everyone. Good to see some of the familiar posters are still around
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • mr1972
    mr1972 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2014 at 8:39AM
    Options
    Good morning,

I would like to join please.

£300 for 2 adults and one very hungry teenage son and cat.

Month from 28/10 to 27/11

Thanks
    NSD 0/10
    August Grocery Challenge £102.88/£350.00
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In preparation for November I did an inventory of the 2 freezers (1 almost empty) and the larder cupboard yesterday and I have a lot of food, more than I thought, including enough meat for 30+ meals for 2. Since I am planning 2 meat free meals a week I should not need to buy any extra meat in November.

I also have plenty of different types of rice, pasta, cous cous and potatoes and frozen veg.

The challenge for me this month is only buying the fresh fruit, dairy and bread I need and not buying snacks or DH coming shopping with me and buying extras.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • sushistar
    sushistar Posts: 121 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all, can I join in please?
    £475 for 2 adults, 3 small people, nappies and wipes, cat food, cat litter, alcohol, and cleaning stuff. We're vegetarian, which helps cut costs in some ways; but we eat a lot of fruit and nuts and dairy, which ups the cost in others! We also have people round a lot, which really adds to the ££. Friends for dinner on Saturday, family for lunch on sunday. Budget includes breakfast, packed lunches for kids and lunches for adults, and all dinners - does not include once-a-week treat lunches had in cafe, but will include any takeaways etc.

At first I thought our budget looked HUGE compared to so many others, but when I list what it covers, it does not seem so massive. That's 120 adult breakfast/lunches, 180 kids breakfasts/lunches, 60 adult dinners, 90 kids dinners, 60 cat meals, plus nappies and cleaning.

I don't think we're massively overspending, but it's hard to know. We have a weekly budget which covers groceries plus a lot of other stuff, and I've never broken it down to JUST groceries - here goes!
  • sushistar
    sushistar Posts: 121 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    =
    Tomorrow I intend to do an inventory of all the cupboards and write my 1st ever menu planner for the week :p ~ any tips gratefully received.

DFD

I save SO much money if I menu plan.
    My tips:
    - Check the fridge and base the first meal or two on using up anything that needs using
    - Include a meal at the end of the week which you can throw anything into - curry, or soup - so you can use up all your leftovers.
    - Plan quick and easy meals for busy days - eg on the evening kids have their swimming lesson, I plan a freezer-based meal with minimal cooking needed.
    - I usually choose ONE evening a week to make a new recipe. If you shop online at tscos you can find a recipe on their website and add it to your shopping list.
    - I don't plan lunches - I just buy general stuff we eat, like bread, bagels, tinned soup if on offer, cheese and crackers, fruit. With that and leftovers, it seems to work out.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport