PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi all nsd here too wet to go out today your all doing great! I plan on completely using up one of my freezers before Christmas as I really have no room ,keep baking and filling the bloomin things again I need to control myself!looking at that weather today I just want to eattttttttttttttttttt all day long, no no no . will need to shop on wed so will have to be strict on myself!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if I came and put my name down for the November challenge, but here I am! Budget is £200 for the month once again. Popped to the Coop on the way home last night for milk and some vegetables and spent £2.18 on 4 pints and then some orange stickered mixed veg. Can probably get by till the weekend now before we need to do a "proper" shop.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am trying to decide if I am going to do 1 huge shop and then just top up with small shops during the week, or do my usual weekly shopping.

I hate going to the supermarkets, so maybe I'll do 1 big shop online. I wont need meat for the month as I have plenty in the freezer, so it'll just be fresh fruit and veg, milk and bread that I'll need to get.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,880 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning all,

Budgets list updated to here :)

Welcome/welcome back to:
    Prudent, mr1972, sushistar, happydays 70, julieu, ohmephisto, Shortypie, Eyebright, MrsCautious, miss try to save, and mon1o :D

Good luck all.

I did a mahoosive T's shop on Saturday - an eye watering £128, which got us food for the week and a months supply of dog food, plus loo roll.

Out in London today with aged parents and the children. We are going to the Tower of London for a tour and to see the poppy installation. Looks like a nice day for it!

Have a good day all.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    £13 spent on a take away last night; taking it from the grocery budget to remind us that they always cost more than we think AND they aren't always worth it, though last nights will be bf's tea tonight as well
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • tjak
    tjak Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    I am joining again this month, having gone waaay off course.
    I have been experimemting with sugar/gluten free and bought various new ingredients. But the past month grocery bill was £520 for three of us, and I am shocked at myself.:mad::mad:

So I have just done inventory of freezer, fridge and cupboards, and meal planned as far as I can into November. I will need milk this week, but determined to sort this out again. I would be happy getting back to £400, and lower than that in the long term. It does include all cleaning etc. but not pet food.

Rolling up my sleeves and getting on with it.:):)
    Debt free and saving :j
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 October 2014 at 7:21PM
    Options
    Can I join for November please. I have a very tight month as I only have one pay day till C so I will budget £100for the month and hopefully only spend about half of it as I need to get the freezer and cupboards cleared out ready for the big day shop.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Aloofdragon
    Options
    A quick post from me to say I have checked and balanced for the end of October and my running total is now 74.59% of my annual budget. The bad news is that the garden produce is all now harvested and so it is back to the sm and market stall for the next few months, with the exceptions of onions, garlic, potatoes, butternut squash and frozen broad beans.
    Good luck everyone. Good to see some of the familiar posters are still around
    SL

Hiya can I ask are BNS easy to grow we are quite rubbish gardeners but I am going to take control of our patch next year and buy BNS weekly so would love a go at growing them.
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Christmas savings £200/£800.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
    Birthday savings £50 /£100.
    100 days #20 Credit union £40/£1150
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    hi Zippy chick have just realised Nov is only a 4 week month for us so can I change to £200 for Nov please (sorry to mess you about)
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya can I ask are BNS easy to grow we are quite rubbish gardeners but I am going to take control of our patch next year and buy BNS weekly so would love a go at growing them.

BNS are fairly easy to grow but they do take up a lot of room. We had them taking over our small patch of garden! They got tangled up with the couple of rows of beetroot I sowed and also with the courgettes.

We had loads of little BNS but you need to take a lot of them off and only leave about 3 or 4 on each plant otherwise you end up with lots of really small ones which aren't much use.

From 2 plants we got 3 just over 1Kg each; one about 800g and 2 around the 500-600g mark.

If you like courgettes they are also very easy to grow and as long as you keep picking them regularly they will continue growing.

Good luck.

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family