Shifting this debt one £ at a time.

Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well first success of the day :T Phoned up about the tv/phone/internet and have managed to get an upgraded package with loads of extra tv channels, unlimited broadband and calls for £15 a month cheaper than we are currently paying :T

I want to try and save up to pay for line rental in advance too so I can save even more.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    Options
    I bought a Bread bin at the weekend at a car boot sale. It cost me £1 and is a double shelved one. Now all the bread/cake/biscuits etc are stored properly away and the kitchen looks much tidier, and it's easier to see what we've got. Very pleased :T
  • retiredandskint
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Well first success of the day :T Phoned up about the tv/phone/internet and have managed to get an upgraded package with loads of extra tv channels, unlimited broadband and calls for £15 a month cheaper than we are currently paying :T

I want to try and save up to pay for line rental in advance too so I can save even more.

Well done on your negotiating skills. I managed to get a reduction when I phoned to complain about price increase. Makes me cross that we have to threaten to leave to get anywhere.

Another plus for me I complained to our gas contract supplier back in December and kept emailing them as they didn't respond. Yesterday hey credited my account with £80. No explanation and still no response from them. Do you think if I keep complaining they'll give me another 80 quid :rotfl::rotfl:
  • jwil
    Options
    Well done on your negotiating skills. I managed to get a reduction when I phoned to complain about price increase. Makes me cross that we have to threaten to leave to get anywhere.

Another plus for me I complained to our gas contract supplier back in December and kept emailing them as they didn't respond. Yesterday hey credited my account with £80. No explanation and still no response from them. Do you think if I keep complaining they'll give me another 80 quid :rotfl::rotfl:

Wow, that's a great result retired! I'd keep trying :rotfl:
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    He's still not having much luck with the job hunt, but has had the odd bit of temporary work and had a tax refund. He's pulled out loads of stuff for listing, so that's good too.

I want to sit down and have a good look at our finances and see if I can build a proper budget and see what we need to live on. Although DH is very frustrated about being at home, it's quite nice not having to worry if the kids are ill etc, and having him around to help out with the pickups etc. He has a hobby that he would love to turn into a business, but he can't see that he can make enough out of it. I think he could if he worked hard at it and combined it with some temping.

Hi Jwil :wave:

I've been AWOL for a long time so I've only just read your recent posts on your husband's job loss and how tough things have been. As usual you are being strong and resourceful and getting on with things amazingly well, proud of you, girl :T.

On turning a hobby into a business - it is certainly possible but a note of caution - when someone who perhaps doesn't have a great deal of 'get up and go' is left to their own devices, they very often do very little. I discovered this first hand with my own DH who had two spells of redundancy. During both he did absolutely b****r all. Even when he was meant to be 'house husband' I did more housework and childcare than he did. I had thought he was going to set up his own business, instead he browsed the web all day. The second time was even worse, he somehow couldn't see a single job that needed doing around the house, not a single thing. Clearly our house should be in Homes & Garden, it is so perfect :rotfl::mad:.

Not saying your DH will be that lazy, but sometimes people are better off just getting a job.

On the DMP route - I think is is wise, you have been swimming against the tide for so long, this will give you a better chance to control everything and more peace of mind. It is good that you are continuing to get the house decluttered - if you could get your sitting room nice and clear that would be one pleasant room to be able to relax in :).

As for me, I am back here to tackle the last remaining debt I have, which is a private loan a relative kindly gave me some years ago. I will be starting a new diary where I will generally ponder on life and get rid of this last debt as soon as I can. I will put a link in my sig when I've started the new diary.

Meanwhile, keep on going, Jwil. When we were reaching a very low point, thinking "this is it, we are actually going to run out of money", something always turned up, just in the nick of time :).
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi jwil..well done on keeping going...know its hard sometimes.

Echo what P&F has said re OH..it can be a perpetual uphill struggle for some. They miss the structure of having a regular manager effectively driving what they do and when they do it (within reason). I am currently FL and also find the paperwork a bit of a drag, although an accountant does all the formal stuff once a year which I pay for.

Hope you have a good week and I now have breadbin envy :rotfl:
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • jwil
    Options
    Hi Jwil :wave:

I've been AWOL for a long time so I've only just read your recent posts on your husband's job loss and how tough things have been. As usual you are being strong and resourceful and getting on with things amazingly well, proud of you, girl :T.

On turning a hobby into a business - it is certainly possible but a note of caution - when someone who perhaps doesn't have a great deal of 'get up and go' is left to their own devices, they very often do very little. I discovered this first hand with my own DH who had two spells of redundancy. During both he did absolutely b****r all. Even when he was meant to be 'house husband' I did more housework and childcare than he did. I had thought he was going to set up his own business, instead he browsed the web all day. The second time was even worse, he somehow couldn't see a single job that needed doing around the house, not a single thing. Clearly our house should be in Homes & Garden, it is so perfect :rotfl::mad:.

Not saying your DH will be that lazy, but sometimes people are better off just getting a job.

On the DMP route - I think is is wise, you have been swimming against the tide for so long, this will give you a better chance to control everything and more peace of mind. It is good that you are continuing to get the house decluttered - if you could get your sitting room nice and clear that would be one pleasant room to be able to relax in :).

As for me, I am back here to tackle the last remaining debt I have, which is a private loan a relative kindly gave me some years ago. I will be starting a new diary where I will generally ponder on life and get rid of this last debt as soon as I can. I will put a link in my sig when I've started the new diary.

Meanwhile, keep on going, Jwil. When we were reaching a very low point, thinking "this is it, we are actually going to run out of money", something always turned up, just in the nick of time :).

Ph P&F lovely to 'see' you again, I've missed you!

Good advice as ever. DH definitely needs to get a job, he needs the security of a fixed income. He could do the self employed thing if he was focussed enough, but he's not. However, he knows that he needs to contribute to the household and that I'm not prepared to carry him while he does nothing (and can't!). So he is making an effort to clear stuff while he's not working which does help with the decluttering.

Good luck with clearing the last of the debt, you can do it!
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Hi jwil..well done on keeping going...know its hard sometimes.

Echo what P&F has said re OH..it can be a perpetual uphill struggle for some. They miss the structure of having a regular manager effectively driving what they do and when they do it (within reason). I am currently FL and also find the paperwork a bit of a drag, although an accountant does all the formal stuff once a year which I pay for.

Hope you have a good week and I now have breadbin envy :rotfl:

Thanks Brizzle. I think DH definitely needs the structure of a job.

Lol at breadbin envy. It's not the flashiest thing in the world, but it makes my kitchen look tidier!
  • jwil
    Options
    I'm still here, still no car :( and I've been ill for the last 10 days or so too which hasn't been fun. Been chasing around trying to get everything done, and losing a lot of hours at work due to having to get the bus.

Hoping that my car will be back tomorrow and I'll at least know where I stand financially. Then hopefully I can start making some headway!
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    I'm still here, still no car :( and I've been ill for the last 10 days or so too which hasn't been fun. Been chasing around trying to get everything done, and losing a lot of hours at work due to having to get the bus.

Hoping that my car will be back tomorrow and I'll at least know where I stand financially. Then hopefully I can start making some headway!

Hi Jwil - thanks for missing me :).

Fingers crossed that you get the car back tomorrow and that the bill isn't too much.

Speaking of bread bins, I need to change mine. No-one actually puts any bread in ours because it seems to be too much bother. Also things seem to get lost in the bottom of it. I need a front-opening one rather than the deep rattley tin one I have now. I think a stroll around a car boot is in order :D.
  • jwil
    Options
    Hi Jwil - thanks for missing me :).

Fingers crossed that you get the car back tomorrow and that the bill isn't too much.

Speaking of bread bins, I need to change mine. No-one actually puts any bread in ours because it seems to be too much bother. Also things seem to get lost in the bottom of it. I need a front-opening one rather than the deep rattley tin one I have now. I think a stroll around a car boot is in order :D.

I was specifically looking for a front opening one rather than one with a lid as I know stuff would just get dumped on top and then everything inside would rot :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport