Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 988

New Post Advanced Search

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.4K replies 818.2K views

Replies

• lucielle wrote: »
    Feel ok in myself but the actual bite doesn't seem to be getting better or any bigger. Trying to get an appointment at the docs
    L

You may need another course of antibiotics or a different type, which sometimes happens. Or it could just be itchiness which can hang around as Choille said. Lyme disease is nasty, I know previously fit and healthy people who have developed serious health problems because of it around here, you’re wise to go back and get it checked out.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very quiet on here! Maybe, like me, you're all making the best of the weather before it breaks? It's due to do that here tonight. Anyway, I hope those with horrible tick bites have found the treatment effective. :)

Speaking of things breaking, I've broken 'Word' on my 'puter somehow, so if you're expecting a letter from me, that's why it's taking a while. :( I broke more than that, but at least the rest of the thing is functional. :o

I've been working in the stream bed before the water returns, removing long over-grown hazel, some of it nearly foot thick, with the intention of getting more light in there and helping a couple of hawthorns which , although large, are swamped. I didn't even realise one of them existed.

Some of you might remember this is a somewhat contentious boundary, since our neighbour farmer, with an 'I'm always right' disposition, thinks the trees are his, whereas title plans show that our land goes well beyond the stream. The trees are about 3' from the stream and some are almost in it, including the very large Wych elm that's dead/dying. Anyway, I was hoping a more robust thinning might prompt a response from him, but now I hear he's not around currently to walk the land, so that may take some time.

We must have some sort of dialogue about the Elm. It'll be interesting to see how strongly he claims it, given that removal will cost £hundreds, or maybe even 4 figures!:rotfl:
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bounderies are contentious. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Glorious here at last and managed to get the males sheared yesterday after a bit of a struggle. Bit late this year but it's been a funny year.

The price is dreadful for wool - just a few pennies per fleece. So I may just stick them on the compost heap - terrible really.

Hope everyone is well and the tick bite has cleared up Lucielle with no lasting impact.
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    choille wrote: »
    Bounderies are contentious. Hope it all goes smoothly.
    There has been no contentiousness up to now, because when this chap told me how the boundaries were, I believed him. There then followed several winters when I laid the 150m of wild hedge between us and him and cleared all the overgrowth on his side, which was very hard!

Then one day I looked at our title document - it's just black lines and the usual red border - and suddenly it dawned that the part where the stream runs on his side showed access for him to do the job I'd just spent a couple of winters doing! The stream crosses over for the last 50m, and there we have access across it to maintain the hedge, but our bit over the stream is deliberately wider for some reason, so probably includes the hedge itself.

The bottom line is that he's a gentleman farmer, so every year he sends a lad with a tractor flail to trim the 150m I cleared out for him.:( The part I'm dealing with now is virtually ignored, which suggests he may know it's ours; his stock fence is a couple of metres back from it.

There are no hard feelings on my side. I should have studied the title plan more carefully. :o
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he probably did know all the time just let you do the donkey work. Sounds like here where there are always some who do take advantage - don't point things out.

Glorious and hot so the beaches are teeming with people so took collie wobble somewhere new and hidden - great excuse to nosy around in a hidden bay.
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was down in Devon a couple of days ago. Went on a Bat Walk in Braunton having trvelled up from a visit to Trago Mills at Newton Abbot (waste of time, nothing I wanted was in stock) Lovely weather and the early darkness means you don't have to be up all night waiting for them to emerge.
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newton Abbot to Braunton is quite a stretch to see some bats! It's not an obviously 'batty' place, but I'd guess with the Burrows nearby, there's a very strong wildlife focus there.

It also claims to be the largest village, but several places vie for that honour. We know it for Squires' great fish & chips! :D

Not snowed-out with bats here, but we see a few. The big insect mopper-uppers are the swallows and house martins, but they are all but gone now. Saw couple yesterday, running ahead of the bad weather coming in....Tonight, the high level clouds were sweeping in from the west, while at ground level the easterlies were still strong. Quite weird. :(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guide was claiming they had the 3rd/4th largest Greater Horseshoe in the country. I live in Essex, so only a visitor but not just for the bats lol!

Seemed quite a trendy place. Sadly missed the chippie!
  • edited 22 September 2019 at 12:36AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September 2019 at 12:36AM
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Seemed quite a trendy place. Sadly missed the chippie!
    The surfing scene did a lot for the area, especially after the invention of the affordable wet suit. As Mod teenagers in the 60s, we used to ride down to Saunton and Woolacombe on scooters, either just to hang out, or to attend dances with surfing bands. We hardly ever went in the sea, as it was usually far too cold! :rotfl:The 'best' surfing beach, Croyde, was also well known for drowning people in those days and few of us could swim well.

Our highly successful school band was also Braunton based, so there was a definite vibe around there, and also in the small town where I lived. Perhaps it's persisted in Braunton. My old home town looks rather staid these days. :(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    HI ALL

I excuse any spelling mistakes as my keyboard is so worn my alphabet consists of 18 clear ones ! so its guess work !

re bats ... we have plenty here ! my foster dog [now called FISH ... don't ask ! ] spends ages trying to catch them as they swoop over the lawn ... he is about 10ft short but it keeps him occupied on an evening !
    I have to go raid the bushes for sloes tomorrow ... lots this year ... good old slie gin for the winter ...
    the farmers field next door has had 3 cuts for hay this year !! last one went out this Friday last .

ive been making my models again and if I can get it to work will pit yp some pics ..

im taking a week off in October to get all the jobs done here without being interrupted by ...life ! [mums off on a holiday with an equally aged relative so wont be on call] I HAVE to empty the garages and sort out a shed plus need to decorate the sun room ...dscf0094