Replies

• edited 22 July 2019 at 7:51AM
    greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 July 2019 at 7:51AM
    Thanks Dave :D

I've also noticed a lot fewer butterflies and bees (and even wasps... no nest in the garden this year), but possibly more swifts. Not sure where the bats are either, as the normal areas aren't covered in bat poo.

I need to make an effort and book people to do the last of the work on the house - porch paving, waterbutts, extending the full-height post and wire along the back fence, screening next door's drive (need to find out when she's away, but it's the only thing I can think of to stop her harassing me about the fact that she doesn't like what my garden looks like), kitchen and external doors. So close to finishing, but I'm having trouble finding the energy!
  • luciellelucielle Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cannot believe how well the trees have come on totally creating a shelter & hidden from the road - blocking the view in places though. Could do with getting the chainsaw out in places but will wait until Autumn.[/QUOTE]

Take a picture now then you'll know which ones block the view when they're in leaf
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sort of back from my self imposed absence to get my head around 'stuff' and slog it through to the end of term/employment.

The Governors were most displeased when they found out I'd been offered and accepted a new post in one of the top 100 schools in the country in September - and that, through their intention to save themselves a couple of hundred quid by refusing to employ/pay me until the end of the month, they had just cost themselves a few thousand pounds in statutory redundancy pay.

As a result of that hitting my bank account at 00:01 today, we are now awaiting delivery of a new, shiny and not dangerously leaking washing machine at the weekend. Himself is rather looking forward to re-entering the 21st Century with it.

Other than that, it's been so darned hot for weeks that I am now doing absolutely nothing until this wretched heat plume beggars off. But the Rosemary, mint, bay and suchlike are loving the sandy soil and baking sun out the front, even if I'm definitely not.

Back garden has been abandoned to nature. The roses are blooming somewhere out there and the blackberries look like they're going to fill another shelf of the freezer (still haven't used up last year's). The cherry tree is looking rather contented and quite a lot bigger (about 8ft now), if cherry-less. Hopefully the blossom won't fail next spring. And my lack of involvement in garden things led to my overhearing the people over the back selling their house with a 'oh, that? That's a rose that comes over the wall. Yes, it does smell wonderful, doesn't it?'. If you sit here after dark, you can smell their honeysuckle as well' - I could smell both from over 250 yards from home when they were in full flower, so I suppose it's had some positive effects, even if the back garden looks like the Lost Gardens of Heligan before they were found again.

Sadly, we haven't had any swifts over us this year, or house martins. I suspect that various property developers have destroyed the nests over the last year. And no bats again.

There are a few butterflies about, we had lots of mason bees earlier on, but no sign of the leafcutters this time - and again, hardly any wasps. Flies, though - millions of the things. And moths attempting to get into the dry foods. Roll on spider season.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The garden is going to pot - it's called re-wilding Jo-Jo - very on trend don't you know.

Congratulations on the job - will you move house?

It's hot here & very uncomfortable with all the flies and midgies. We had massive thunder storm this morning and the burn burst its banks and swept down the place flattening the overgrown grass. Never seen it do that before on this side.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this time - but it could be the job that leads on to others; going from a bottom 25 in the country straight into a top 100 school can open a few doors. I will be taking full advantage of any training they offer.

Himself has managed to acquire a ZHC job starting in a couple of weeks as well, which should hopefully be reasonable hours - first plan is to get essential replacements/purchases, then knock down bills, then saving. Moving just isn't realistic yet; it's a welcome breather, but not enough for that.

I'm melting here. It's still 32 degrees outside/air temperature according to the temperature gauge.

I am doing nothing until this heat passes.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • edited 25 July 2019 at 5:40PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2019 at 5:40PM
    I was in Fay's county yesterday, attending a cousin's funeral, following her drowning in the Med on holiday a month ago. It's thought she misjudged her ability, which is a common trait on that side of the family. Luckily, the adventure gene appears to have missed me....:o

Eight hours in the car on a very sweaty day means we are doing little outdoors till evening, though I've checked the top field for bottles from revellers returning last night from the Old Fayre in the town...Nothing. :A

All the stock survived yesterday OK due to cloud and a brief storm on Tuesday night, but at present things are frying on the nursery and we're only at 24c. Goodness knows what it's like trying to keep potted stuff over in the east, with temps in the 30s! :eek:
    Best news of the day....the van lives! :beer:Needed some welding, but they didn't do the brakes as I suggested they might. "Garn, 'er still stops OK... " was the opinion I was offered, "Us've put discs on advisory....but ee can do 'er if you want." I decided I didn't want, just yet. Two lots of vehicle tax due, small holding insurance and the after effects of the wedding still denting my credit card......:(

Congrats on the new job and washing machine, Jojo! :beer:
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    30 degrees over in Inverness. Far too hot.

Flies everywhere here - keds, midgies, cleggs & loads of flying ants.

Sorry about the relative Dave. Not long discovered a relative had a diving accident in Indonesia & he died whilst down. Don't really know what happened. Didn't like to press for details but it's a nightmare for his family.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my surviving cousins are in their 80s, and mostly pretty fit too. It seems amazing their children are in their 40s/50s now. I can't get my head around it! :o

One of them's in the process of buying a house down here, 20 miles from us, so we'll be seeing more of them and the younger folks from that side. The house is huge, listed and a toal money pit by the look of it, so that's me, poor relation...yet again! :(

When I was young, my family wasn't invited to the cousin's weddings in case we let the side down. I can understand that to some extent; even at our wedding, Mum turned up with some dead mammal around her neck, making the photos look as if we'd time warped into in the 1940s. I bet at the reception Dad got everyone muddled-up and called them the wrong names too!. :o

Oh well, my folks might have been poor and a little old-fashioned, but they were hard-working and never declared bankrupt......:p
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • luciellelucielle Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urgh don't mention flies Choille! Scattered my mums ashes at the weekend, OH got bit by a horsefly but didn't think anything of it. Fast forward 24 hours hand swollen, you could see his arm swelling up and incredibly itchy. 3 hours in A&E, talking about IV drips, luckily got away with tablets and managed to escape.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all ...
    welcome back CTC ....
    bit of a loss of weeks here ! seemed to be looking after mum [after some sad news] and trying to fit 36hrs into 24hrs !!

we got our first 5 acres of hay in last night ... the other 5 can wait till after the forecast rain tonight ? 3 days needed to cut / turn/ bale ..
    we got about 400 off the first cut so not bad .
    the weather here has been harsh . we hit 35 degrees yesterday and have generally been between 25 and 28 . we had a terrific storm the other evening ... about 11.30 the sky lit up and stayed lit up for about an hour accompanied by what sounded like a chinook hovering !
    we [here] got 10 minutes of huge dollops of rain BUT 10 miles up the road had torrential rain AND huge golfball size hailstones that actually damaged conservatory roofs and cars !! bizarre !
    bit cooler today [22]

I am waiting to iron out a few details on the bow top wagon before parting with £s and collection ... got a chap lined up to re roof and re varnish .

I have my dental app today which I will be happy to have done ...when its done ! dreading the bit before tho ... root canal and cap ...

ive still got BIG dog sadly but the longer he is here the harder it will be to rehome him for him ... he so loves his life [complete idiot but he knows he is and uses it to his advantage !] I just wish I could let him loose to run about but he is so excitable that he flattens people... with love ... strict training seems to fall on deaf ears [choille ! lol ] I will persevere and he is so loving .

if ive missed anything I should have commented on I apologise [brain dead at the mo]