We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

been out of the loop both physically and mentally !!

mum still in hosp and will be for some time , well till she can bear weight on her right leg / hip... they are slowly getting her up but its very painfull, to get the muscles working AND to determine wether she has suffered any lasting "damage" from the brain bleed.
    apparently they are always concerned when someone falls / is on one side for a length of time because it can affect the kidneys ! so basically they are watching /testing , her head,kidneys,shoulder and hip !! she looks so sad when I go in to see her ....

dad has just been told she has had a fall, no need to stress him out at the moment. ive been arranging others to visit her when I cant get in due to work.. its worked so far !
    now it will just be me visiting dad [sister no1 is good and will come from IOW weekly and see mum on same day] sister no2 .....well we will see. no show so far.... brother came Monday but will see when next visit planned..
    I get a bit fed up when I get heeps of praise for "being so good and doing everything..." I don't begrudge doing anything for my parents but it feels like its just a way of "excusing" their involvement !!
    sorry for having a grump... long day !

I treated myself to a car full of flowering plants last Monday and will try and get them in this weekend, I also bought a new mower !! post traumatic spending !!!

tilly is still doing the "naughties " with jim jam so hopefully we will have a corking babba next year...

well I hope every one has a super weekend. xxx
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope that mum makes a speedy recovery & is home very soon so that things become easier. Such a shame.

It' s been a foul day here - blizzards, hail, storm force winds & brilliant sunshine, but very cold all day. Makes me feel like hibernating again.

Got a Witch's Egg today so someone may be going off lay.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Better they check Mum out thoroughly alfie, and it sounds like they're doing that, rather than pushing her out the door asap. All the same, I hope she's soon able to go home, once the medics are satisfied. :)

We know a more about DW's condition now. DD2 accompanied her to the hospital for this week's consultation, fired a lot of probing questions at them and got further in 10 minutes than DW has in hours! It's not especially good news, but at least we can plan realistically to make the garden less high-maintenance over the next few years.It's not that bad now, but finding the time to do it and also press-on with the building work is what makes it hard.

On Wednesday, I did one of the jobs I've been putting off, when I cut our side of the long elm hedge. The postman does the other side and much of the top with the tractor, but that still leaves me the garden side, where a John Deere can't go. Instead, I struggle along it with a long arm hedge cutter that cost £60 in Aldi, but it gets there in the end! Never done it in a single session before, but needs must.

Had a letter back from the Glass & Glazing Federation yesterday saying their conciliation officer is sick and off work, so they won't be able to deal with our dispute just yet! :( They have just the one? I'm feeling pretty sick too! :mad: I think I may start a new conservatory thread soon...... Absolutely no communication from the conservatory co, of course.

Had a big delivery of IKEA wardrobe stuff yesterday, so the builder and I are going to have self-assembly bliss today! :( Yes, it's Pax, which is latin for 'peace,' so no swearing involved.....NOT! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Well, the wardrobes went in like a dream, although the space became tighter and tighter as we added more to the wee room that was once DW's den. We had to build the last two in situ, but they were easy-peasy. I remember the days of MFI and always being short of some special nut or screw!:rotfl:No such bother with IKEA.

Anyway, we've saved £££ by not having fitted bedroom furniture, even allowing for the cost of conversion. :D

DW is away this weekend at our Indian soon-to-be in-laws, attending another family members' engagement ceremony. I think the idea of wearing a sari appealed. Strangely, I had no great desire to buy a dhoti, so I 'volunteered' to stay here. ;)

Horrid weather over the last couple of days, but I've had plenty to do indoors with seedlings. Nipped into the little town with some boxes for a lady who wanted some for a removal and came away with a promise of an 8' x 8' greenhouse. I want to put it up inside the polytunnel, then insulate and overwinter things in it, but DW says that's silly.:o

I'm not exactly short of space in there though!

Sad to hear of Chuck Berry's passing. I saw him a couple of times, most notably at the Royal Albert Hall, where he 'warmed up' for The Who....far too much, because it was his audience, not the long hairs who smashed-up the seats and brought the riot police in, resulting in a ban on rock music at the venue for the next 10 years or so. Happy days! :cool:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

finally got a few hours to myself !
    mum is still in hospital and will be for a while yet. she hasn't got to stand up yet and bear weight so physio is ongoing. she was exhausted through lack of sleep and ive just learnt she was moved to her own room last night and given a "pill" ! so hopefully if she gets sleep she will improve... then she will hopefully get moved to my local hospital for rehabilitation... the hospital has been great though throughout.

my son has come back from Canada for 1 week to see his "nan"... he said he had to see her [he was in Thailand when grandad had his stroke and he couldn't get back as he had badly cut his foot out there and they wouldn't let him fly !]
    so I scooted up to Gatwick at 6am this morning to pick him up ! it was horrendous rain and gales on the M3 and M25 ... going and back ... here ? looks like not a drop ???
    so im going to put my feet up for an hour or so..

iv won a set of driving trade harness on the bay .. well happy as no one else bid ...which means I either gota bargain OR others saw something I didn't and ive bought a lemon !!!! my brother in kent said he will pick it up for me [close to him] and fetch it down on his next visit ...

right , hope alls well with everyone ..
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Hope Mum can soon be closer to you alfie. If you aren't posting here, I know you're run off your feet! ;)

Speaking of which.....I'm also going hither & thither at present, not staying on one thing very long, just trying to hold it all together. Seeds have germinated well this year....

We have 100 saplings arriving today, ready to go into the bare bits of the road hedge, but that will have to be all for the time being. We were going to plant another beech hedge in the garden, but time's run out; everything's shooting and leafing-up now. :o

I was quite shocked on Monday when I went to a somewhat warmer area of the county and saw how far forward everything was. Up here, it's not exactly the Arctic, but we tend to be about a fortnight behind places nearer the southern coast.

Pete's here today, doing fencing in Horse Woman's field. He says he'll drop the trees I can't/daren't manage along the roadside next week.....just in time! :) He told me about a neighbour of his who did some DIY felling on the main road and had one fall on a car. Apparently, it cost the guy thousands, and that was without any injuries. Very silly! Pete would have charged him no more than £25 an hour for local work like that.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,737 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great news on the harness Alfie, is that for Ruby.

All sounding very busy Dave. I need to source some cheap top soil.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm feeling better about my 7 trees (currently sitting in their boxes on the doorstep as I haven't had a chance to unpack them) having read Dave's post. I did plant a whole lot of hedging plants a few weeks back, but found it hard to make holes to put them in given the state of the bottom of the hedge. I'm hoping they make it.

Unfortunately I've upset my back recently, so digging the holes for the trees I've got is going to be something of a challenge... hopefully I'll get them all in by the end of the weekend.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    lucielle wrote: »
    Great news on the harness Alfie, is that for Ruby.

All sounding very busy Dave. I need to source some cheap top soil.
    L

sadly NO, its not for ruby the rebel !:( she is a law unto herself and has reverted back to feral ! [total waste of a lot of "training" £s ]
    this will be for either tilly or storm [whos yet to be trained to drive !]
    basically this post traumatic spending HAS TO STOP :rotfl:

mum is now in her own room and the physio's are pushing her hard.. it will be a slow process but she will get there ..
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    a nice day here after all the snow, so a spent a bit of time outdoors, but not achieving much really other than snooping about deciding how to fix the banking.

Hope Mum improves soon.

Hope Mrs Dave is feeling fine after all the medical stuff & the engagement parties. Sounds wonderful.

I hope our ground clears up - dries up soon & the weather heats up a bit. Fed up with Winter now.

Hens are all doing well but Orps haven't laid yet & big Splash Cockerel is scared of the little brown hens, the cat, the trees when they move - he's a bit.....gay!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback